PDA

View Full Version : BOLO Firearms Stolen 12/30/14

7of7
01-08-2015, 06:51 PM
I had the following stolen from my home on December 30th 2014

Springfield M1 Garand Serial 2425926 This rifle was glass bedded, and had the Smith Enterprise M1 Muzzle Brake installed, as well as the adjustable gas plug. allen wrench, ruptured case extractor and grease located in the butt stock.

Winchester Model 94 Serial 1445617. Nothing special about this rifle. Just a really good shooter.

I lost the gun safe too.. removed from the garage, after they couldn't get it open..

Blacksmith
01-08-2015, 07:13 PM
You might want to post this over on the CMP Forum. Lots of Garand people over there.

swheeler
01-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Hope they catch the scum bags!

freebullet
01-08-2015, 07:32 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

How heavy of a safe was it?

SP5315
01-08-2015, 08:54 PM
I feel your pain 7of7. Make sure the the County Sheriff has all the info, and update your information anytime you move. My Colt Combat Commander was stolen in '86, one day in '08 I had a visit from the local PD, it had been recovered. It was finally returned to me after the trial in late '09, the wheels of justice turned slow. Bolt the new safe down!

southpaw
01-09-2015, 10:04 AM
Sorry to hear about this. Try posting it here http://www.hotgunz.com/

It only helps if someone actually checks a gun before they buy it but better than not having it on there.

Jerry Jr.

Plate plinker
01-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Check the sheriffs office at least yearly to see if they are in evidence. They probably won't contact you. A friend has recovered some this way.

Bonz
01-09-2015, 11:29 AM
happened to my brothers buddy down in Texas. they could not get the safe opened in the garage so they just threw it in the back of a pickup truck and drove away. It was a small gun safe and not bolted to the garage floor.

condorjohn
01-09-2015, 12:55 PM
Our club is putting on their spring gun show here in Eugene, OR, Mar, 21 & 22. I'll put out an
APB to all of our vendors about this.

Kent Fowler
01-09-2015, 02:05 PM
happened to my brothers buddy down in Texas. they could not get the safe opened in the garage so they just threw it in the back of a pickup truck and drove away. It was a small gun safe and not bolted to the garage floor.

I was surprised when I was told by several gun safe dealers that only bolting the safe to the floor would not prevent the safe from being moved. They said the thieves could get pry bars under it and rock the safe out of the anchors. They recommended the safe also be attached in back to the wall to some beefed up studs.

John Allen
01-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Sorry to hear this. it just sucks.

jmort
01-09-2015, 02:10 PM
Anything to slow down the thieves makes sense. Make them pry it from the wall. Make them pry it from the floor. "Harden" the situs of the safe. Make it difficult to get near the safe in the first place. Make the thieves go elsewhere.

waksupi
01-09-2015, 04:57 PM
After seeing a safe with a six inch door peeled, I don't have all that much faith in safes. If you bolt it to your floor and walls, all that means is you will be missing your safe, and the section of wall and floor where they used a chainsaw to cut it out.

Smoke4320
01-09-2015, 05:07 PM
I have always recommended putting a cheap safe with a couple of cheap rifles inside in plain view
Then hiding you good safe in a closet Bolted to wall and floor ..
Crooks will take the easy to see safe and not spend the time to find the good one.. If they do being slid into a closet restricts their access prying ability

ShooterAZ
01-09-2015, 05:07 PM
I have mine bolted to the concrete slab with 5/8 x 6" hardened bolts. I doubt if they could pry it loose. I do worry about a cutting torch on the hinges though...

freebullet
01-09-2015, 05:12 PM
After seeing a safe with a six inch door peeled, I don't have all that much faith in safes. If you bolt it to your floor and walls, all that means is you will be missing your safe, and the section of wall and floor where they used a chainsaw to cut it out.

lol, I understand what yer sayin but you make it sound like it's best to just store them in presentation cases on the front lawn with a welcome sign lol. I would agree anything to slow them down and conceal the location of your prized items is a good plan. There are differences in thieves. Some would be easy to foil and some can go to great lengths and put thought into what they are doing why make it easy on them?

country gent
01-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Another thing to do is notify every pawn shop gun shop with descriptions and serial numbers. Get this info out to as many and as far as possible. A good description and serial numbers out where its "known can help alot.

MaryB
01-10-2015, 12:03 AM
My cabinet is bolted through the tree trunk beams that support that floor and through the wall into a piece of steel 6 feet wide and 2 feet tall on the other side(furnace room so out of sight and I had to move the furnace to put the nuts on then the furnace is bolted into the steel). Sure they could torch it, or use a sledge and hammer awhile, but the entire time they are working the silent alarm has been going off and it automatically calls the police and they get the message and my cell number to check for false alarm. access for a chain would require 50-60 feet or more plus driving into my backyard. Then fitting it out the door...

pretzelxx
01-10-2015, 02:55 AM
This is why I will own a vault. Why? Cause you can't steal a room out of my house.
I'm sorry for your loss, it seems thieves will do anything these days. Except get a real job. Hopefully they turn up, not in a bad way.

A pause for the COZ
01-10-2015, 05:54 AM
I have a safe with a couple of beater guns as a sacrifice. My good stuff???? I aint tellin.
I figure they are looking for a quick smash and grab. I give them an easy option that wont hurt me much.

7of7
01-19-2015, 11:23 PM
What they didn't know, is that the majority of my guns were at a friends house while I was moving and getting everything set up in my new place.. The safe was empty... they unburried it from its location in the garage, and drug it out, all 300 lbs of it.. and loaded it into my truck and took it too...
From what I can get from my computer, the desktop that they left, is they were here for a few days.. between the 26th and 30th.. A neighbor said the truck was in and out in a normal pattern... they hadn't met us yet..

w5pv
01-20-2015, 11:53 AM
Theives will take any thing that they can get a nickle for.I had a breakin and am still finding things that went missing from it about a year ago.All in all about 2300 hundred dollars worth.Most were marked with name and telephone number nothing has turned up that I have found in the local shops.