PDA

View Full Version : Adding solder question

218bee
02-21-2008, 06:42 PM
I am new to this casting game and am currently scrounging for all the lead I can get. I acquired some 30 years ago "ingots" of "plumbers lead", at least I call it plumbers lead because I got it from a plumber. They are in strips of 5 ingots connected by a small short piece connecting each ingot, they are stamped AMES and each ingot is about 5 pounds or so. Anyway I am thinking these to be mostly "pure" lead and was wondering if I wished to increase hardness I also have access to about ten pounds of solder that is labeled 95tin/5antimony but has a rosin core. Would this stuff be ok for adding to lead, rosin core good or bad?? Any thoughts appreciated

mroliver77
02-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Bee,
It would be fine to add. Just be careful of the fumes for a few minutes until the flux burns off. 30-1 for .38 special, 20-1 for .45 auto, 10-1 for light mag pistol. It would be nice to find enough Wheel weights to "sweeten" your lead. J

454PB
02-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Using solder to harden tin is not cost effective. You could sell that 95% tin solder for around $8 to $10 per pound and buy some linotype for hardening the plumbers lead. Equal parts pure lead and linotype equals a very nice alloy, around 16 BHN, and works great in magnum handgun boolits or rifle boolits.

boommer
02-21-2008, 11:46 PM
218 bee you and me live close to each other from what I gather? I live on the east end of chicago road if you like we could meet up and I could give you hand and go over casting tec it's easier to see what to look for than read it at least for me. don't mind helping out!

218bee
02-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Boommer, well I live out west on Chicago Road so we are not that far and would like to see how you do things.As you said it be easier to see in action as opposed to reading about it. I am a few miles east of Paw Paw. Stay in touch.....Nick

boommer
02-23-2008, 12:18 AM
218 BEE sent you a Email earlier with phone numbers.