PDA

View Full Version : And so the waiting begins!

Jevyod
01-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Well, just got back from town. I shipped my German 98 Mauser to Tim (goodsteel) to build me a 358 Winchester off the action! I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out. The thing is, it will probably be in the neighborhood of 6 months till it is done. Oh well, guess I gotta learn patience somehow! Here is the list I sent to Tim letting him know what I have in mind. What do you think? I know I could have done it cheaper by getting a gun re-bored, but I wanted a semi-custom gun for me!!

Barrel: Lothar Walther 22-24" ( I amfine with 24 as long as it balances well)

Stock: Richards Microfit, Monte Carlo style, Grade AAA Claro Walnut.I wouldlike 4 panels of fancy checkering. The length of pull should be 13.25 inches. Iwould like a good recoil pad on this as well. I am also assuming there will be sling studs.

Trigger: Already has Timney installed. Set at2.5 lbs.

Misc. I would like the bolt jeweled.Also, some kind of engraving on the floor plate.

Put existingscope back on the gun. Feel free to use other mounts/ rings.

If you thinkof anything else that would make the gun more aesthetically pleasing withoutbreaking the bank, I am very much open to suggestions! I look at this asalthough the gun is mine, you are the artist here. And as the artist, I am sureyou will probably see things a from a different angle. So feel free tocommunicate your ideas/ thoughts as we go along. Am very much looking forwardto see this piece finished!Jamesyoder

nagantguy
01-07-2015, 07:08 PM
Should be well worth the wait; I've seen his work and believe him to be a good honest man!

dilly
01-07-2015, 07:16 PM
Good and honest, but don't forget talented.

newton
01-07-2015, 08:57 PM
Good things come to those who wait. It may be a while, but in the end you'll be happy right? He is a fellow Arkansan, so I'm sure he will do it right.

sounds like a good build. I'd spend my time casting up some of the best boolits to shoot in it. That way you'll have something to focus on and not be constantly yearning for the gun back. Then, when it gets back, you'll have plenty to shoot!

farmerjim
01-07-2015, 09:30 PM
I would have to be put into a medically induced coma to wait that long for such a gun.

Jevyod
01-08-2015, 11:25 AM
When I saw the Genesis rifle he built I knew he was a man of talent!

trixter
01-08-2015, 11:53 AM
I kinda in a similar situation. I sent my Mossberg MVP, in 223 bolt back to the factory because the bolt was not working properly. I sure hope it gets back before 'Squeek' season starts.

fatelvis
01-10-2015, 11:21 AM
You will be impressed! I sent him a '50's vintage Marlin 336 with a horrible trigger, and he sent me back a sweet-shootin' rifle with the best trigger I've ever felt on a lever action! I will be sending him more rifles to work his magic on in the future.

TXGunNut
01-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Sounds like a well thought out build, if it suits you then I'm all for it. Kicking around sending him a rifle for his brand of TLC as soon as my finances improve. Still working on a few details and a few will need to be worked out after Tim has a chance to look at it.

w5pv
01-10-2015, 05:27 PM
I have heard nothing but good about Tim,honest and a talented crafstman.