PDA

View Full Version : 243 First time with cast Boolits

altheating
01-06-2015, 06:28 PM
Well a friend asked me to load some cast loads for his 243 Savage a while back. Have never even thought of loading for the 243's before that. Screw bolts was nice enough to offer up his NOE 244-75 FN mold. I couldn't resist. Well after prepping about 200 rounds of brass I decided to load a few to try. I decided to start with a fairly new Remington model 7, predator. It's a tack driver with Nosler Ballistic Tips. So I cleaned the bore and shot a few of the NOE boolits. The first was a flier off To the right of the 60 yard gong. The rest went right in the 2.5" gong. Back down to the basement to reload those 7 rounds. Back to the kitchen, lower the window and now to the 1.5" gong. Yup, all 7 in the gong. Six of them without the sandbag as it fell off the window sill. Oh yea, that reminds me, I need to go outside and get that!
Now to see if these loads work in John's rifle. Why did I not think about loading the 243 before this?

fragman
01-06-2015, 06:41 PM
243 will likely be my first shot at casting rifle boolits. What blend of lead were you using?

altheating
01-06-2015, 07:06 PM
Straight WW from the 70's.

Screwbolts
01-06-2015, 07:41 PM
That same 5 cav. mold that Altheating is using has cast thousands of boolitz from the alloy that I was selling also. That alloy tests 11.5 and was the core material of jacketed bullets. Basic gun testing bullet trap scrap. I know of 5 other 6mm or 243 cal rifles that like this design also. I sized and check them to .246. never had a problem chambering a round.

Long live the Cast Boolit,

Ken

RKJ
01-07-2015, 02:18 AM
I was looking for info in a .243 mold to buy for a M70 Carbine I have that I wanted to use for my Grandson and Rich/Wis (very generously) sent me some RCBS 243-95's and some Lyman's that I don't recall the #. I loaded those 95's and and at 25 yards I got a real nice group using 8.5 grains of 700x and Winchester WLP primers. Once it gets warmer I want to wiring it out at longer distances (Oh and his M700 Youth model he got for Christmas) So far I'm tickled with them, so I bought the mold and have been making a bunch up. That load is softer than a .22 LR with that little Remington). BTW. I imagine I'll have to go to a different powder or at least a little stouter but I like it right now. He's only 7 so we've got a little time before I want to try a full power load on him.