PDA

View Full Version : Just starting to cast 45 mold question

Wizzap
01-05-2015, 08:49 AM
I'm just starting to reload and cast 45's well i want to still need the dies and mold what i was wondering what would be the best shape bullets to cast for my guns I got a Llama 1911 and 1 S&W M&P 45c I like the look of the TC but what do you guys think will work best.. I have a few hundred pounds of wheel weights melted down to muffin cakes

Dan Cash
01-05-2015, 08:57 AM
Periods are your friend. PM an address and I will send you a box of them.

Most 1911s will do well with a short truncated cone bullet. Don't know about the Smith. If in doubt or can't afford to experiment, there is nothing wrong with a round nose design, it will kill stuff deader that a hammer. Seriously, drop me a PM and I will send you a few of the TC bullets I use and you can try them out.

Dan

petroid
01-05-2015, 09:12 AM
I think the lee 230gr tc would be the best starting point for you. But make sure you slug your barrels before ordering. If you have oversize bores you will need a fatter mold

Wizzap
01-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Thanks guys been out of work with a hurt back even thou I'm getting back to it now really starting to enjoy reloading so far iv'e just been collecting brass from range and melting down wheel weights

Wizzap
01-05-2015, 09:28 AM
Oh yea Dan I sent you a PM.

varmint243
01-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Your going to want to slug your bore, cerrocast your chamber, use softer lead and fatter bullets.
You may need to purchase custom reamers to get the chamber dimensions you want for your cast bullets to perform properly.
You need to do this for each firearm as they will all have different dimensions and you may not get similar performance in a variety of guns.
or
You can try the standard Bullseye load of a 200gr LSWC over 4.0 -ish grains of fast pistol powder.
I preach flat base bullets and use an RCBS 200gr LSWC mould.
One of my shooting buddies uses commercial cast 200gr LSWC BB bullseye bullets and I see no difference in performance between the two designs, as much as I would like to.
I would describe leading as almost non-existent in a proper 45acp load.
YMMV

Bigslug
01-05-2015, 09:51 AM
I am becoming very fond of this one: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?255216-Feeding-Big-Meplats-in-1911-s-Continued-The-LBT-LFN

JD74
01-05-2015, 10:05 AM
For my 1911 target rounds can't do any better then a 200 gr swc.. I also run the 230gr rn and a 200gr rnft all feed fine swc are a little more picky about oal then the others.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=125059&d=1419289772

bangerjim
01-05-2015, 01:16 PM
Also look at getting some Sn to sweeten your mix. WW's are only 0.5% Sn and that is normally not enough. I and most on here use around 2% for excellent mold fill-out. Really makes a BIG difference in the fill and quality of your boolits.

And as suggested above, find the "." key on your device!!!!!!! Even my iPhone has one. Actually I just say "period" and the voice recognition system puts on in!

If this is your 1st go at casting & loading, good luck to you. I am sure you will have a bunch more questions, especially on that 1911!!!!!!!!!

We are here to help. Just read or search for 1911 problems ahead of time. There ARE a few.

I cast and shoot every weight and shape Lee makes up to 255 in my 1911. (even a 45 cal round ball!) I powder coat everything. 1911's can be a bit tricky on size and shape depending on your barrel, mags, and techniques.

bangerjim

jcren
01-05-2015, 01:29 PM
I like the Lee tl230 tc. It duplicates the shape and weight of my carry load, feeds and shoots well in the 3 45's I have loaded for. Follow the "Recluse Lube" formula and technique and you can easily get started on the cheap.

454PB
01-05-2015, 02:15 PM
I have a Llama 1911, and it shoots well with the same boolits that Colt 1911's like. My personal favorite is the Lee 230 TC, sized .452"

newton
01-05-2015, 09:34 PM
The Lee 230 TC seems popular, and for good reason. I like and use it as well. Read around about loading the simple, yet seemingly complicated 45acp, with boolits, on this site. Simple way is to type in the search bar the particular mold you will use, you can also include your gun to narrow down the search field.

You will find LOTS of info, but with all that info comes LOTS of opinions. In the end, find what your gun likes because that's all it's going to shoot. Lol. Lots of us are willing to help, just give us a shout.

JD74
01-05-2015, 11:46 PM
all this talk of 230gr TC for the 1911 and now I have to go and add one to my collection to try it out.. Thankfully its a new Year and that means new toys.

littlejack
01-06-2015, 02:39 AM
Wizzap:
Welcome to the CastBoolits.
I cast and shoot a few different boolits in my 1911's. One is the Lee 230 grain TC. They do feed well, but your pistol may need some polishing on the feed ramp, maybe not. It will be trial and error. It is a good choice for the acp round.
I have a Llama 1911 also. My other 1911, is the Taurus PT1911. The Llama gives up very little in the accuracy department to the better built Taurus. If I do my part (I need to get to the range more) the Llama will hold 2" at 12 yards from a standing two handed hold. A lot of fellas here shoot at a further distance, but with my aging eyes, I shoot close. If I go walking in the woods with either of my 1911, I feel adequitly armed for the four legged villains in my area.
P.S. Before I ever heard of adding tin to my wheel weight, I cast tens of thousands without it. They cast just fine, and shoot just as well.
Regards
Jack