PDA

View Full Version : Testing tomorrow

Lead melter
02-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Gang,

A while back I posted a question about how fast a pure lead boolit can be driven without sacrificing accuracy. After a few responses, I feel that possibly none have attempted any sort of test like this, and so I contend to grab the bull by the horns. Weather permitting, I will begin tests tomorrow.

When I refer to sacrificing accuracy, I mean what I consider to be practical accuracy. My own opinion of practical accuracy for most cast boolit loads should be able to hit a targeted animal at 100 yards with reliability. I know some will scoff at this level, but my intention is to build a pure lead boolit load, take it to the max, and then evaluate its virtues and detractions. Of course my evaluation may not be yours, I simply want to put the data there. Do with it what you will. Targeted animal is whitetail deer, so a 4" 100 yard group will be sufficient.

Initial tests will be performed without the aid of a chronograph. That will factor in at a later date, as I have limited time.

Tests will also be conducted at 50 yards for ease of analysis and promising loads will then be tested at 100 yards.

Test rifle will be a Marlin 336, 30-30 with 2 1/2X Weaver scope attached.

Test boolit will be Lee C309-150-RN, with Gator gas checks, sized to .308"

First tests will be conducted with 10 rounds each IMR-3031, charges of 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 grains. Winchster large rifle primers will be used throughout.

Lube will be 50% beeswax, 50% vaseline.

I will shoot 1 five-round group of 22 grains followed by same of 23 grains, and so forth. If accaracy starts to worsen at a particular point, I will have another five round group to test again. If I feel as though I have caused an error in shooting, I will repeat the test with that load.

I intend to prgress with 3031 until accuracy goes out the window, then repeat the tests using another powder. Win. 748, AA-5744, BL-C2, H-4198 and a few others come to mind. By all means contribute to the list, load data will be welcomed.

This, as you can see, will not be a totally conclusive test. It is simply a project to find out what happens "if".

Feel free to make contributions, critiques, comments. Lead me down the path. This is my first major test project.

Bass Ackward
02-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Feel free to make contributions, critiques, comments. Lead me down the path. This is my first major test project.

Ah no you don't. It's a test.

You are supposed to test and then tell " US " what you found. Then we can ask questions or chime in with what we have seen.

Never poison a test. :grin: