PDA

View Full Version : What did you learn on Cast Boolits in 2014

altheating
01-03-2015, 08:50 AM
What was the #1 thing you learned from the Cast Boolit Forum in 2014 ?

Muskyhunter1
01-03-2015, 08:56 AM
This is a really amazing site for cast boolite info.

There were a lot of things I learned but I think the #1 thing would be the importance of getting a cast boolite's nose as close to throat of the rifle for the best accuracy.

Always a learning curve here. Love it.

Beagle333
01-03-2015, 08:57 AM
How to build my own PID. :cool:

slim1836
01-03-2015, 09:17 AM
How to build my own PID. :cool:

Ditto, along with powder coating.

Slim

Hickok
01-03-2015, 09:18 AM
That I am not the only eccentric, weird, strange type person who would walk across a parking lot, bend over and pick up a wheelweight and put it in my pocket.

shooter2
01-03-2015, 09:21 AM
That I am tired of the continuing BS stories from bullshop Jr. and think the guy should be banned for life from this site.

garym1a2
01-03-2015, 09:34 AM
That we have some smart guys that I learned a lot from them and we many high quality members. I brought a press early this year and 6 months later I get an extra bag of spare parts.

Artful
01-03-2015, 10:45 AM
That I am tired of the continuing BS stories from bullshop Jr. and think the guy should be banned for life from this site.

Yep, I learned by $20 lesson, wonder how many people it would have fed if I had given to a real charity.

karlrudin
01-03-2015, 10:54 AM
I learned that there is a world of knowledge to be had here from the patrons. Also there is a world of knowledge to be learned about the "art" of casting. I have only scratched the surface on my calibers and yet it is very satisfying to work with cast bullets. Thanks to all for your help.

MrWolf
01-03-2015, 10:57 AM
That I am not the only eccentric, weird, strange type person who would walk across a parking lot, bend over and pick up a wheelweight and put it in my pocket.

Probably this besides all of the knowledge. We have a family here.

koehlerrk
01-03-2015, 11:25 AM
How to powder coat my cast boolits.

Wasalmonslayer
01-03-2015, 11:34 AM
I have been casting for 8 years and found this site by accident looking for boolit lube last year being 2014.
Man did this place shake my world up as far as what I thought I knew. I used to think lee molds we one shot wonders ya kept casting till the broke. Say like 20# of alloy. I have some now after learning to lube prep and keep constant heat that are some of my best molds. With hundreds of # of alloy threw em. And yes now I have a bunch of iron molds also Thanks to swapping and Sellin.

I I have also met some really good people who have helped me a lot on weird issues with casting. I have also met some locals who are good out going people. Who I have made some trades with and made some new friend ships. I am located in central washington.

As as for my lube quest I just send randyrat money now and 20 sticks of tac 1 show up and the stuff shoots like a dream with no headaches.

For the most part the members here are the best people I have found on the net. I have not encountered a bum dealing yet or had a bad experience but I know a few have happened.
A lot of forums could learn a lot hanging around here for awhile.

Thank you cast boolits for all the help and a Happy new year!!

Wasalmonslayer

35 shooter
01-03-2015, 11:41 AM
No. 1 thing for 2014 was learning to make my own gas checks and also made some friends here! Oops, that's two things.

trapper9260
01-03-2015, 11:46 AM
I keep learning year after year.I started to deal more with the venders last year(14).and found to get molds that no one or place would have made to different sizes then on the factory market, thank you Mil and NOE.

Wasalmonslayer
01-03-2015, 11:47 AM
Sorry mine was more than 1 thing too ��

RobS
01-03-2015, 11:47 AM
Powder Coating boolits although I wasn't quite sold on it. May one day re-explore it.

TenTea
01-03-2015, 11:57 AM
A bumper crop of pecans was grown in TX last summer! (you know who you are ;) )

Oh, and add some Ivory soap to my NRA lube recipe...

flylot
01-03-2015, 12:16 PM
That it's a steep learning curve. There is an incredible amount of knowledge to be had, and the more I read and learn the less I realize I know.......

texassako
01-03-2015, 12:29 PM
To always have an open mind to new ideas, or old ones I did not know about.

dragon813gt
01-03-2015, 12:32 PM
That some members can't put aside personal differences to further the art of casting bullets. All of that was set in motion long before I joined and it's a shame they can't keep personal differences aside. I don't have the knowledge or the time to do what they're doing so I can't help if I wanted to.

I did learn that I can like aluminium molds. I swore them off due to Lee's poor quality and hadn't bought any in a long time. I waited to long to purchase my first NOE mold. Now I look there first and have no problem purchasing an aluminium mold from them.

jaysouth
01-03-2015, 01:16 PM
I learned to rely on a Lyman M die with the 31r expander on it for .308s and bought and learned how to use a PID controller.

My reloading and casting experience could be summed up by saying that I had a year's experience 50 times over. Since coming here, I am gaining on that.

geargnasher
01-03-2015, 01:23 PM
I learned too many things about things that have nothing to do with casting, handloading, or shooting, unfortunately.

Gear

solderboy
01-03-2015, 01:24 PM
I learned this site is MASSIVE. After a few days of surfing around and finally thinking I got a feel for this place, I discover something new. Everytime I visit, I discover something new. I read and read, but can only digest so much without doing, I have yet to buy a furnace.

fatnhappy
01-03-2015, 01:26 PM
#1 powdercoatings (which I have yet to try)

#2 My ignore list is half the size it needs to be.

scarry scarney
01-03-2015, 01:36 PM
1) powder coating
2) there are still good people

Smoke4320
01-03-2015, 01:46 PM
That I still have a lot to learn.... and yes there are some very good people on this site
That I do not have enough money or time to try all the things I think I want too

Powdercoated 20MM Lathi :) :)

nekshot
01-03-2015, 01:49 PM
How to spend more money!!!!

Wild Bill 7
01-03-2015, 02:01 PM
Powder coating, and that there are some amazing people with their knowledge of casting and loading. Thanks for this place.

27judge
01-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Powder coating ,its so easy I wish I had tried it a long time ago .Good guys to buy lead from and the best site to buy and sell gun related items from TKS KEN

dlbarr
01-03-2015, 03:12 PM
I joined this site in 2012 but didn't get active showing up until mid-year 2014. This forum probably has more of what I need in terms of info on all subjects relating to firearms, reloading, hunting, shooting etc. I have little interest in many other forums anymore with the exception of http://www.americanlongrifles.org/forum/ and http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/.

Good place to belong!

Stonecrusher
01-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Last year was Lars 45/45/10. This year it is homemade gas checks. Made a checkmaker and very pleased with results. Don't think I'll have to buy another check!
Ben's red is almost a tie with the aluminum checks. Looks like it is going to work out well for everything I do and cleans up easier than Carnauba Red. Like one patch!

w5pv
01-03-2015, 03:21 PM
That the good out weigh the bad.

Yodogsandman
01-03-2015, 04:04 PM
The number one thing is heat treating. Also...
That WW's aren't free anymore!
To use a hot plate to pre-heat molds
To make a PID
To powder coat
To make my own lubes
That I can use aluminum molds
Mold HP's

Thanks to all for your help, couldn't do it without you!

twc1964
01-03-2015, 07:29 PM
I learned the basics and began casting last year. Also i recieved lots of tips on the journey. Thanks guys.

crazy mark
01-04-2015, 12:41 AM
Mine was I could usually trust anybody on cast. Fortunately I trusted the good ones.

Hickok
01-04-2015, 07:50 AM
Truthfully I have learned so much I couldn't put it all here. And the learning continues.

Adam10mm
01-04-2015, 08:47 AM
The knowledge that I gained the most from this forum is the practical ballistics of a hunting boolit. Design, cartridges, alloys, and tuning for effectiveness. As a result, I have significantly changed my firearms and cartridge inventory and am shifting toward a versatile few rather than a niche collection consisting of a single gun for a specific purpose. No more this is my rabbit gun, this is my grouse gun, this is my squirrel gun for early season, this is my late season squirrel gun, this is for short range deer and this is for long range deer. I spent too much time trying to get one load per cartridge that I could make a lot of and use for everything. I lost the passion that brought me into this hobby and in 2014 this forum brought it back for me. Thank you for doing that. I will not let your generosity go to waste.

Adam

ballistim
01-04-2015, 10:51 AM
I learned that I could no longer live without a .358 Winchester to shoot cast boolits in.

histed
01-04-2015, 11:35 AM
That this site is not just about cast boolits or making lube. Members care about and pray for and check up on each other. Has meant more than I can express.

tward
01-04-2015, 11:51 AM
I once again was amazed at the depth of my own ignorance and amazed at the depth of kindness and caring present in our members! Thanks for letting me be a part of this! Tim

TXGunNut
01-04-2015, 02:00 PM
One thing? A simple hot plate works wonders for getting moulds up to temp. I've been hearing about it for awhile but I finally got one and I don't know how I did without it. Lots of other stuff as well but that's the one thing that sticks out.

pjames32
01-04-2015, 03:23 PM
#1 would be good people!
I've only been on this forum for a few months. I've cast for my pistols for over 40 years, but needed some help when I wanted to cast for my 45-70. I found that help here. A few members have been very helpful and I'm amazed not only at their knowledge, but also their willingness to share.
With that said, I've also found some posts where I felt I had some usable knowledge to share and have tried to share my experiences where I can.
As with all forums, I really appreciate the moderators and their willingness to moderate. There are always some forumites that are a PITA and some that just need to be banned. I've tried to stay out of the BS Jr. stuff, but feel bad for those whose generosity was abused and hope this young man gets an "attitude adjustment" soon in his future.
Thanks to this forum for letting me join and participate.
Paul James (PJ)

Hannibal
01-04-2015, 09:45 PM
The truth will NOT always set you free.

str8shot426
01-04-2015, 10:44 PM
I learned first hand how the right lube, cut my group size in half.

Jr.
01-04-2015, 11:11 PM
I learned that I know nothing.

lead-1
01-04-2015, 11:42 PM
I have learned a whole lot more than I could ever teach but I enjoy it more when someone local asks for info or help. To me it means that what I have learned here and expressed to the locals have earned me some respect in the knowledge department.

Thanks folks!

Mauser48
01-05-2015, 12:57 AM
That there are still some nice people left in this world.

9w1911
01-05-2015, 01:15 AM
Great posters are abound here, and the knowledge here is ovewhelming

fast ronnie
01-05-2015, 01:22 AM
Good people, lots of knowledge about a lot of different subjects concerning shooting and more. Have even had a little information to share with others from my background in machining. (Hope it has helped someone out there)

dlbarr
01-05-2015, 01:41 AM
Another thing I learned:

I am big sucker for starting new projects that I find here.....

:oops:

(but it is fun!)

GoodOlBoy
01-05-2015, 04:18 AM
That there are alot of really REALLY great people on this board. Above and beyond everything else I have found a good body of similarly minded individuals that even when we have to agree to disagree we can get along and still have a good conversation.

Richard AKA GoodOlBoy

375supermag
01-05-2015, 07:29 PM
I learned that even after shooting handguns for 40 years, including a few years competitively with some wins and trophies, that apparently I am an absolutely horrendous shot with a handgun.

I have never shot a 1" group at 100yds with an iron-sighted revolver or a 2" group at 200 yards either.
I learned that shooting any 5-shot group much over about .01" over nominal bullet diameter with an iron-sighted handgun at 25yds is simply a waste of powder and bullets.

I am OK with that...I can still break clay birds on the berm at 25yds with most of the iron-sighted handguns I own pretty much anytime I want to. I can still keep 5 shots from the same handguns in a deer's vitals at 50yds. I can usually put 4-5 out of six rounds on a 10" gong at 200yds with my S&W 686 Silhouette revolver pretty much every time I try.

I know it doesn't begin to measure up to the experts on this forum, but I have a good time.

waksupi
01-05-2015, 08:32 PM
I learned that even after shooting handguns for 40 years, including a few years competitively with some wins and trophies, that apparently I am an absolutely horrendous shot with a handgun.

I have never shot a 1" group at 100yds with an iron-sighted revolver or a 2" group at 200 yards either.
I learned that shooting any 5-shot group much over about .01" over nominal bullet diameter with an iron-sighted handgun at 25yds is simply a waste of powder and bullets.

I am OK with that...I can still break clay birds on the berm at 25yds with most of the iron-sighted handguns I own pretty much anytime I want to. I can still keep 5 shots from the same handguns in a deer's vitals at 50yds. I can usually put 4-5 out of six rounds on a 10" gong at 200yds with my S&W 686 Silhouette revolver pretty much every time I try.

I know it doesn't begin to measure up to the experts on this forum, but I have a good time.

You just need to work on the loads for your keyboard. With a little work, they can shoot a darned tight group!

edctexas
01-05-2015, 09:08 PM
I sure have appreciated the wealth of knowledge shared on here. I have learned a bit:
To use a hot plate to pre-heat molds
To make a PID for my pot and for my hot plate
To powder coat (Thanks to Banger Jim and others)
To make my own lubes (Thanks Ben and others)
To seat bullets or boolits and then crimp (made a difference in accuracy)
There is a lot to learn even though I have been shooting for more than 45 yrs.

Ed C

daniel lawecki
01-05-2015, 09:20 PM
Learned a lot about casting and still put trust in people one bad seed will not bring me down. I mailed a press to someone I never met on this site. And man mailed my money to me later that week. I think his name was Louis M. So good people are on this site and I still think there's hope for mankind.

41magjh
01-05-2015, 11:40 PM
There are 36000 +an counting here for knowledge also they are willing to share it with you. It's so great to be here

GhostHawk
01-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Printed out it would be a big pile of stuff. Everyday its something new, and I'm here at least twice a day.

Harter66
01-07-2015, 01:27 PM
After lurking and finally signing on then reading for about 5 yr ....

I learned that when you present an obscurity it's best to have a backup resource . That even the very knowledgeable are sometimes caught flat footed and can be wrong. On a case by case hand fitted 1 off mass produced that really shouldn't work that way kind of way.

However I think the most useful and important single item was a tip on a bubba'd up 03A3 as to how to get it to shoot like it is supposed to. I haven't tried it yet but I will very soon.

There were several occasions that the why of my mechanical what was explained and allowed a bump here and a nudge there also.

Char-Gar
01-07-2015, 01:50 PM

When was the last time you put fresh batteries in your BS Detector? You need to give that some attention.

Hogtamer
01-08-2015, 09:07 PM
that a 12 ga can be a 73 cal rifle! Lordy what holes I can blow in stuff from further than I would have ever believed.

Hickok
01-11-2015, 09:12 AM
In reading older posts, I learned from 44man to use STP on my revolver cylinder base pins and ratchet notches!

3leggedturtle
01-23-2015, 04:45 PM
I learned that I dont have enough molds. :groner:

quilbilly
01-23-2015, 06:17 PM
That it is a lot harder than it looks to pull the lead out of bucket of dirt taken from a .22 cal LR Boy Scout range no matter how heavy the buckets are.

stogierob
01-23-2015, 06:49 PM
That large chain tire stores have ruined the fun at trying to collect WW as they all report having to return them to 'corporate' and the store gets reimbursed for the returned WW.

And BrassMagnet is both extremely generous and extremely knowledgeable....

StogieRob

Ola
01-23-2015, 07:28 PM
I learned I can shoot high quality .357 Mag ammo cheaper than medium quality .22LR ammo.