PDA

View Full Version : problems lubing a RCBS .45 cast boolit, mold defect?

claxton
01-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Just started messing around with a 230 grain .45 RN mold I've had for some time. I cast about 100 boolits and proceeded to get them lubed up and ready to shoot out of my 1911. Using a star sizer, it became clear in the first few attempts that something was wrong. There was lube squirting onto boolit surface, to the nose-end of the lube groove. Started measuring the things and soon it became clear that the diameter behind the groove is in the .453 average range, but ahead of the groove it's more like .450. I'm sizing at .452, so there's a gap for lube to squirt out of.

Anybody had this happen? Any suggestions? I figure I'll call RCBS tomorrow. Thanks

blaser.306
01-02-2015, 02:01 PM
The problem you are seeing is due to too high of lube temp and or too high of lube pressure! the streaks of lube are from the lube under high pressure being force pst the pump piston and onto the boolit nose ( as the boolit leaves a space with nothing closing the lube holes ). Drop back on the reservoir pressure and let the high pressure lube pump do the work, the res. pressure is just to supply the high pressure piston with wax / lube. I went thru the same thing.