PDA

View Full Version : Digital Spotting Scope

koehlerrk
01-02-2015, 11:43 AM
No, it's not anything new, just me adapting an existing device to a new job. Took my JVC digital camcorder and have used it at the range. It has a 45x optical zoom and a 3x digital on top of that. Hundred yard targets look like they're at the end of your nose.

As an added bonus, if anyone is doing really good it's easy to take pics or video. I just thought I'd share this idea with you all.

DCM
01-03-2015, 02:25 AM
Neat idea

koehlerrk
01-03-2015, 09:05 AM
I had a nice spotting scope, Nikon 40-60x... one day it was on my little table-top tripod when it got knocked off the bench and landed wrong. I know, you don't expect a 3 foot drop to break one, but it did that time.

Anyways, while thinking about a replacement scope, I hit on the idea of using the camera when out recording wildlife with the kids. Read a posted sign from 200 yards away and thought, "Hmmm, this could work on rifle targets too."

Since I already have the camera and tripod, it was cheaper than buying another dedicated spotting scope, and it has the added benefit that if my kids are doing some impressive shooting, I can take pictures or video because I have the camera right there with me. Also, the tripod I have for the camera is a big industrial tripod originally meant for the full-size VHS camcorders, all 20 lbs of them. So now I set up the heavy tripod, on the ground, and all is well.

Ben
01-03-2015, 09:18 AM
No, it's not anything new, just me adapting an existing device to a new job. Took my JVC digital camcorder and have used it at the range. It has a 45x optical zoom and a 3x digital on top of that. Hundred yard targets look like they're at the end of your nose.

As an added bonus, if anyone is doing really good it's easy to take pics or video. I just thought I'd share this idea with you all.

I , for one, would love to see some of your photos at 100 yards.

Could you post a few ?

Ben

jmorris
01-03-2015, 10:58 AM
I have a little camera for my RC planes that TX audio and video very far as long as you maintain line of sight.

This is it in the center connected to the 9v batt.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/target/DSC02138.jpg

Might want it behind a steel plate but you could then use your kids broken DVD player to view targets.

Boostervision was the place that sells the TX/RX stuff and camera.

koehlerrk
01-03-2015, 11:40 AM
I , for one, would love to see some of your photos at 100 yards.

Could you post a few ?

Ben

Ben, are you talking about snapping pics of the targets as they're hanging? That's a great idea... What I was talking about was taking pictures of the kids when they're shooting, but yes, target pictures would be good too. I could set the time-lapse feature and have it shoot a pic every 30 seconds or so and then I'd have a record of which shot went where... Dang, now you've got me thinking... going to have to re-read the manual and figure out which of the functions on that camera I can make use of the most.

Here's a short video of my daughter and I watching a doe and fawn this year during hunting season.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/koehlerrk/media/Morning%20Deer.mp4.html?o=0

Shortly after that, this young buck walks out. Since it was my daughter's first year, she could shoot anything. Listen to her response when I ask her if she wants to shoot...

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/koehlerrk/media/Let%20it%20go.mp4.html?o=1