PDA

View Full Version : BB gun

frkelly74
01-01-2015, 03:06 PM
I had picked up someones old Daisy BB gun at a yard sale complete with the custom touch of having the fore arm held on with electricians tape a while back to give to my son and today we went out in the back yard to shoot it. It is paint can lid accurate at about 40 ft and makes a nice plink when you hit it. So I got to thinking " this is fun" and it occurred to me that my old pellet 22, Daisy made in Scotland, might be fun too so I hunted around and found a can with a few pellets in it and it was fun. Made the lid swing a lot more than the bb gun did. So then I was wondering " how about the 177 co2 pellet gun" so out it came and in went a new gas cylinder and that was really fun and has enough power to go through a paint can lid, and is accurate enough to hit the same hole. I shot and did hit the same hole and my son cried out " you MISSED" so I told him I hit the same hole and he said " That's what they all say". I wonder where he heard that? Then I was careful to not aim at the same spot every time and there was no further discussion of missing when I was shooting. So the neighbor was walking by and we showed him the can lid and he said he had an old pellet gun that was his wifes fathers and it didn't seem to work and I could have it if I wanted it. It is a daisy pump up 177 made of plastic mostly and most of the metal has rust on it, but I said sure. I put some oil on the trigger mechanism and got it freed up and it seems to hold pressure and fire when you trip the trigger. I will try it out with BB's pretty soon.
The daughters came out before we got everything put away and I said to both of them " try this" and the older one who just turned 16 took the BB gun with the tape on it and just sort of casually shot the can lid several times and demonstrated that we were clearly, way to close for there to be any challenge. The middle daughter was more reluctant but gave it a go and did hit the lid after a few practice shots.

We did not shoot the old Bejamin 22 cal pump pistol or the Daisy BB co2 pistol that was my mother in laws, or the pump bb gun that I got when I was 10. So we are not done. My wifes comment was " Why do you need so many BB guns?" I didn't have an answer that would satisfy her. But For me it is just plain fun.

richhodg66
01-01-2015, 03:10 PM
BB guns are fun. I haven't shot any in a while, might have to get them out soon.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-01-2015, 03:46 PM
I don't recall the last time I shot a BB gun.
But I did shot a spring air .177 pellet pistol a couple nights ago...the Rabbit nibbling on my frozzen rasberry canes ...gave up the ghost.

frkelly74
01-01-2015, 05:08 PM
I got my eyes opened a little bit with the old neighbors pumper. If you pump it 10 times it puts a BB through the lid and through the back wall of the steel shed, but not through the wooden fence behind that. So I guess it would kill small game pretty well.

country gent
01-01-2015, 05:25 PM
BB guns, air rifles, cos can be alot of inexpensive fun. I have made heavy sheet metal standing targets for friends and its always a blast to kick them around when hit. We were using 1/8" cold roll or sheet metal close (12 gage) but have found some of the newer spring air guns need heavier or harder steel . My RWS 177 pellet rifle is dead accurate and will bend dimple our targets with just a few hits. WHats great with this is from old enough to hold the rifle to grandpa and Grandma all can have fun and enjoy themselves. We normally set up a couple saw horses and the targets on the cross bar. This gets the small targets up out of the grass nicely. A set of Saw horses dedicated to this and you could make swingers on light chain so the need to go set them up wouldnt be there also.

Hamish
01-01-2015, 05:43 PM
"Why do you need so many BB guns?"

THATS A HOOT!

Almost 25 years ago I had a kid shoot me in the foot with a 10 pumper, luckily between the toes instead of in a bone. I treat "BB guns" with every ounce of respect that I do with firearms,,,,,,

Rick Hodges
01-01-2015, 07:51 PM
You'll shoot your eye out, Kid!!!!

Sorry I just couldn't resist. LOL

WILCO
01-02-2015, 12:46 AM
I don't recall the last time I shot a BB gun.

I keep 'Ol Blue right by the door.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608048669508240926&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

GhostHawk
01-02-2015, 08:33 AM
I shoot air rifle indoors in the winter to keep my shooting skills sharp.

Its cheap, diverting, easy, not hard to make a backstop/catcher.

Mine are all either spring model, or pump up style. There is just something about going through the loading routine for a Sheridan Blue Streak, getting it all set, then picking a small point on the target and hit it that just gets you with 220 volts.

But yes I have bb guns, .177 pellet guns, .22 pump up pistols, .20 caliber Sheridan's and a pair of crazy chinese .22 caliber spring rifles that seem to have more recoil than many shotguns I've owned.

They all shoot, they can all be fun in the right situation. Each has its reason for existence however how small it may seem.

Rick Hodges
01-02-2015, 08:46 AM
LOL...BB guns...love them. I do use a RWS break action .177 rifle to keep in shape during the winter. Easy range in the basement.

Kent Fowler
01-02-2015, 07:03 PM
Tell her you want a Buzz Barton or a Buck Jones BB gun for next Christmas.

texassako
01-03-2015, 12:07 AM
I picked up a little metal target gallery to use with my Crossman 1377 in the garage this winter. It seems to be growing on me the more I use it. The voles and grackles seem to be missing from backyard these days, must be the weather ;).