PDA

View Full Version : lube question

beefan
02-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Just received some cast bullets from a well known vendor. Seems the lubricant had dried out a bit and some of the bullets were stuck together. When pulled apart, some of the lube came out of the grooves. These are 250 gr. GC bullets intended for use in a 375 H&H Ruger #1. Max velocity would be 1800 fps.

Two questions: 1) Will the small amount of lube missing from the grooves matter?

2) Can I relube them using liquid alox or the Johnson's paste wax
treatment? I've read that somewhere but have forgotten the
details. Any help?

454PB
02-20-2008, 01:40 AM
One of the problems with commercial cast boolits is that they use a very hard lube to survive shipping and handling. You could try a few to see if they are alright, but I wouldn't waste my time. Lube missing in parts of the grooves can throw the boolit out of balance. If you have some lube, and no sizer/lubricator, you can just smear it in the lube grooves with your fingers.

The LLA will work, but you need to remove the original lube first, otherwise you have an out of balance boolit. Drop them in a pan of water and heat it to just below boiling, all the original lube will float to the top.

gcollins
02-20-2008, 06:50 AM
454, hit it on the spot! Once you have got the old lube off, you can do to things, you pan lube them or use alox. I would pan lube them if it was me. Get you a cheap cookie sheet or pizza pan anything that is higher than your top lube groove, you can get these pizza pans or cookie sheets and flea markert for a buck or so. I have never tried re melting the old lube, but it is worth a try, if that doesn't work. get you some beeswax and chep lard. put 1/2 and 1/2 in a pan heat untill melted stur it good, put your bullets in the pan spaced apart some, pour to your top groove and bingo!
If you are loading like a cowboy load or something not real hot, instead of beeswax you can pick up some old candles at the fleamarket and use them instead of the bees wax.
once they have drryed pull them out of the pan, peel out our over flow lube reheat and go again.

It is some work, but you save you bullets.

If you want to go the easy way, get your old wax out, and get you some mica from Midway and roll them in that. I hate the stuff, you will allways be cleaning your seating die, or I did when I tried it.

It's your call, and I hope that I have helped.
Greg

jonk
02-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Depends on how many. If, say, a box of 500 and less than 50 were rejects, I'd probably either just shoot them for blasting ammo or re-lube. If more than that I'd be wanting my money back. Or at least a discount for the cruddy bullets.

lovedogs
02-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Yup! I think I'd try for an adjustment or refund. Then I'd give serious consideration to making your own bullets. Then if there are mistakes you'll know who to hold responsible.