PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't I figure this out?

jaysouth
12-31-2014, 05:20 PM
I just received a long Lyman M die for my new .358 winchester which will be finished in a week or two.

I placed it side by side with my M 30 cal Long expander.

The bodies have identical ID and OD dimensions and the spindles holding the expander plug are the same.

Next time I need an expander die, I will just order the expander plug from Lyman and install it on the body and spindle that I now have two of(identical twins). Actually, I may order custom made from a member here on the forum.

Because it was on close out at Midway, I also ordered an RCBS Neck expander and die body for .358 WCF. After I use each the Lyman and RCBC for a spell, I will report back on the differences and any advantages one has over the other.

Yodogsandman
12-31-2014, 06:46 PM
There's advantages to having expander die bodies for the calibers you load the most of. I have an "M" die with body for each rifle caliber. My pistol calibers have expander dies that came with them. Just leave the "M" dies set up and switching calibers is as easy as screwing in the die. I've been testing three calibers at a time with just 10-20 loads each. It would be a real pain to have to switch out spindles and reset them each time.

Beagle333
12-31-2014, 09:13 PM
Also, if you have a Lee Universal Expander..... NOE now sells 48 different expander plugs for it that are comparable to the Lyman plugs.

jmort
12-31-2014, 09:15 PM
I have a few NOE expanders and they are real good.