PDA

View Full Version : WHERE to find BP?

Grump
12-31-2014, 04:18 AM
Not the substitutes like Triple 7, I'm after real black powder.

Two locations of Sportsman's Warehouse, a Cabellas and a Bass Pro Shops location within halfway reasonable distance don't even carry BP. Not even the few LGSs that actually have powder carry the stuff.

Am I stuck with getting on the No Such Agency watch list by going mail order and choking down HazMat ripoff shipping?

Las Vegas to Salt Lake City, none to be had and no one on the phone can recommend anyone other than the ones I had already called or visited.

But hey, ONE joint had pistol powderS!

Tatume
12-31-2014, 08:29 AM
These people always treat me well. Usually I will get an answering machine when I call, but a nice lady always calls me back within five minutes.

http://www.blackpowderva.com/

StrawHat
12-31-2014, 08:31 AM
I would look around and find a group of muzzleloaders, re-enactors or Cowboy shooters. These guys usually have a line on where to get powder. If they bulk order, get in on the group buy.

Toymaker
12-31-2014, 08:51 AM
I'm with Tatume, but Back Creek Gun Shop is still a mail order for you. I deal with them exclusively, but they're only an hour's drive away. Check www.nmlra.org (http://www.nmlra.org) for an event or rendezvous in your area. The Western National Shoot is coming up, but that's at the Phoenix, AZ Ben Avery Range - still a bit far from you. There is a Charter Club in Heber, UT http://nmlra.org/business-directory/wpbdm-category/utah/ but maybe there's another nearby.

Nobade
12-31-2014, 09:07 AM
I get most of mine here: http://www.powderinc.com/

But if you are through Southern NM, you can get it in Hobbs at Coonie's blackpowder and explosives. Actually they can ship it to you too, but Powder Inc. is cheaper if it has to be shipped.

You can also mail order it from Graf's shooting supplies, their house brand is Wano. The Old Eynsford that Powder Inc sells is way better powder though.

-Nobade

BeMan
12-31-2014, 09:29 AM
I am surprised to hear Bass Pro did not have it, as the Bass Pro near me always has Goex BP on hand. May want to call them back and ask that they order it for you. If the powder comes to the store, you shouldnt have to pay the hazardous shipping cost.

tomme boy
12-31-2014, 10:04 AM
You have to ask the people at Bass Pro. They have it in the back. They will not have it out front.

dondiego
12-31-2014, 10:49 AM
I have bought from these guys with success : mainepowderhouse.com

mooman76
12-31-2014, 11:17 AM
Just north of Ogden, Smith & Edwards used to sell it. I don't know if they still do but next time thru I will be going there and asking them. Beaver Sports used to also in Beaver UT but last time I asked they said no, but sometimes places say no because they just don't know but I would think a small place like that would be in the know.

Boz330
12-31-2014, 12:43 PM
Powder Inc.

Maven
12-31-2014, 12:46 PM
Try this guy, excellent selection and pricing: Home - Crater Fireworks, Blasting, and Black Powderaddictedtoblackpowder.com/

mooman76
12-31-2014, 12:54 PM
You might also try to find a local Muzzle loading club. They usually do a group buy.

tomme boy
12-31-2014, 03:31 PM
I'll second the "addicted to black powder . com" He is not far from me so I just drive over to his place. For me he is the cheapest anywhere. Plus he always gives me a bunch of swag. Hats, cooler cups, key chains.

Omnivore
12-31-2014, 05:08 PM
Am I stuck with getting on the No Such Agency watch list by going mail order...

Grump; You're already on the list, so there's no sense in holding back. There are LOTS of good places to order BP on line. Buffalo Arms in Idaho is one I've used a few times, among others.

oldred
12-31-2014, 05:20 PM
Bass pro has it or will ship free to the store for pickup but at $26 (ok $25.99) per pound they can keep it as far as I am concerned.

Wolfer
12-31-2014, 09:18 PM
Bass pro here has it but you have to ask for it. It has to be stored in a magizine. They keep it downstairs. Goex is all they carry here.

Grump
12-31-2014, 09:44 PM
Grump; You're already on the list, so there's no sense in holding back. There are LOTS of good places to order BP on line. Buffalo Arms in Idaho is one I've used a few times, among others.

Well, yeah, I figured I might pop up on someone's list back when I made my first telephone/credit card order with Midway decades ago.

I just keep toying with this idea to have stuff like that be OLD information in their databases, nothing *new* that they would trace to what I own *now*.

But if I'm going to be assimilated....

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-01-2015, 01:13 AM
Try this guy, excellent selection and pricing: Home - Crater Fireworks, Blasting, and Black Powderaddictedtoblackpowder.com/

I also use Jon Blackert , Crater fireworks http://www.addictedtoblackpowder.com/2.html

he and his wife are good people

I also drive the 2 hours to pick up but there is a great place to get very good fried chicken on the way , get some friends to go in on an order or stock up it lasts forever

as long as your just sharing costs and braking up a shipment among freinds , familly or club members and not purchasing for storage and resale you need no additional ffl or anything according to the ATF stuff I have read, just saying cause some people worry about that

wgr
01-01-2015, 01:26 AM
when do you need it. ill be out that way this summer, i get mine at friendship. if you order a case the haz-mat is,nt to bad

dtknowles
01-01-2015, 03:36 AM
Well, yeah, I figured I might pop up on someone's list back when I made my first telephone/credit card order with Midway decades ago.

I just keep toying with this idea to have stuff like that be OLD information in their databases, nothing *new* that they would trace to what I own *now*.

But if I'm going to be assimilated....

I think you will be fine as long as you order less than 25 pounds and don't include cannon fuse in the order. I know that 25 pounds and cannon fuse seems to make sense if you have a cannon but it might make someone nervous.

Tim

gmsharps
01-01-2015, 04:12 AM
It's getting tougher to find a Black powder at LGS. Mainly due to the FFL holder having to have a special BlackPowder permit in addition to his FFL. The LGS then has to have a powder magazine to store the BlackPowder and it can't be in the immediate area. The LGS has to pay the Haz Mat fees so he has to tack that onto the price. It's seems for me anyway, to order a case at a time (25lbs) and you can usually mix the types to your needs and pay the HazMat fee for the case. You can go with a couple of friends to split the case if you can't use the whole case.

gmsharps

Blackdog
01-03-2015, 08:19 PM
I got some at Cabela's, but that was a while back.

Grump
01-03-2015, 09:50 PM
I'm going to call one of the Cowboy shooters here, and if there's no joy there, ask Sportsman's to order some.

Economies of scale. I really don't want to order a lifetime supply...yet.

John Allen
01-03-2015, 09:58 PM
I use maine powder house or powder inc when I order. I just order enough to make the hazmat fees not seem so bad.