PDA

View Full Version : New Member from Savannah, GA

KnotRight
12-29-2014, 09:55 PM
After getting back into reloading early in 2014 (after laying off for 15 or so years) I think that I want to start making my own boolits for the pistols that I shoot. Never thought about it before but I am shooting more now than ever. I know nothing about the different equipment that is needed except I need some lead, furnace, molds and a resizing dies. Most of all the knowledge on what NOT to do. All the other forums that I am on pointed me to this one telling me there is more knowledge here and could answer any questions that I have.

The boolits that I am going to load is for a 38/357, 9, 45 and 44 mag. With that said, I am looking for maybe some used molds (4 cavity if at all possible) and some ingots. I will be looking in the swap section soon after I learn a little more about the different equipment.

Looking forward to the knowledge of this group.

Bad Water Bill
12-29-2014, 10:50 PM
Welcome to our happy family.

Pull up your favorite rocker and start reading the many STICKIES on each subject you have mentioned so far.

After you have absorbed some of the information posted there begin asking questions and you will be an addict for life.[smilie=s:

starmac
12-29-2014, 11:02 PM
Welcome, and when you get it figured out what you want in the way of molds, they come up pretty regular on the swap and sell. Titan, one of our sponsors is as cheap on lee molds as you will likely find anywhere, and can get you started about as cheap and quickly as possible.

Bazoo
12-29-2014, 11:03 PM
Howdy from kentucky. I learned to cast without any help. It was somewhat of a challenge. If you can hook up with an experienced caster to help you learn about temperature and fluxing it will help you out a lot. Its not hard, but some of the intricacies are not acquired without experience.

pworley1
12-29-2014, 11:07 PM
Welcome!

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-29-2014, 11:12 PM
Welcome for Ill-Annoy! Yep, plan on NOT saving money by casting and reloading. Well, I haven't seen any savings yet. The members here are the greatest enablers in the world! Great bunch for sure!!

RayinNH
12-29-2014, 11:35 PM
Welcome KnotRight.

IllinoisCoyote, you just haven't purchased enough equipment yet to start realizing the savings :guntootsmiley:.

jsizemore
12-30-2014, 12:12 AM
This should help:

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

JD74
12-30-2014, 12:16 AM
welcome aboard,, nothing better then knowing every part of your bullet.
Make sure and stop in to the chat room always people in there to help out or point you in the right direction also.

reddoggm
12-30-2014, 01:07 AM
Welcome to the Forum KnotRight I think You will find a wealth of Casting/Reloading and all general Gun related topics here to pick around in at CB
DOGG!!!

NC_JEFF
12-30-2014, 08:18 AM
Welcome Knot....there are sellers of ingots on eBay too. Some do most of there lead purchases thru them. Happy New Year

JD

DCP
12-30-2014, 08:38 AM
Many good people here and lots to learn. Good luck and welcome

gray wolf
12-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Nice to have you, a warm welcome to Ya.

starmac
12-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Knotright, must be a Georgia thing, cuz them folks over there kept tellin me I ain't right. lol

xs11jack
12-30-2014, 09:49 PM
Welcome KnotRight, this is the encyclopedia Britannia of cast boolets and everything gun for that matter. And there isn't anyplace with more friendly people than here.
Ray, that has to be a line everyone should have hanging on the wall above their loading bench.
Ole Jack

kens
12-31-2014, 12:50 AM
I am close by. If you want/need help maybe we can get together for a casting session.
You don't really need a lot of equipment to get started.
A casting furnace is nice to have, but, not required.
I think the LEE 6-cavity molds consistantly turn out higher quality than their 2-cavity molds.