PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on the New Year?

WILCO
12-29-2014, 09:31 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Jr.
12-30-2014, 12:39 AM
Well with the falling oil prices I think the unemployment rate will go up.

As for myself hopefully starting a new job and gonna get my reloading room finished so I can stop using my dads. So all in all optimistic for good things as usual.

MtGun44
12-30-2014, 12:43 AM
Going to make a big addition to my house.

Bill

tomme boy
12-30-2014, 01:15 AM
Hoping to hear from SS on an hearing. Only been 3 years:evil:. I hope to have a whole new set of Doctors. The ones I have now will not do anything as they fear the Obamacare penalties if they do something and it does not work.

MaryB
12-30-2014, 01:19 AM
Isn't that the truth, neurosurgeon doesn't want to go in my neck unless it is 100% pain reduction when I would be happy with being able to breathe again and 50% less pain...

My goal is to get my neck fixed so I can hunt again. Low back pain I can deal with by making sure my planned walk is short with good rest spots. I like to stop and sit anyway when hunting squirrels and rabbits

Hoping to hear from SS on an hearing. Only been 3 years:evil:. I hope to have a whole new set of Doctors. The ones I have now will not do anything as they fear the Obamacare penalties if they do something and it does not work.

starmac
12-30-2014, 01:56 AM
I have heard from a reliable source that it should last 365 days if all goes right.

leftiye
12-30-2014, 07:44 AM
It'll be all skrood up like last year was.

NC_JEFF
12-30-2014, 08:09 AM
I'm going to give more and take less.
Listen more and talk less.
I'm going to make my grandkids believe Paw Paw is the greatest thing on earth.
And I will get my '06 to shooting cast like I want it too.

JD

375supermag
12-30-2014, 08:36 AM
The new year will be full of joy and sorrow, pain and euphoria, good fortune and bad outcomes.
Some will thrive and, unfortunately, some will perish.

There will be good news and horrific stories of man's inhumanity to man.

The economy will improve for some and be bad for others.

In short...2015 will be just like every other year that has happened since man started measuring time. What matters is not what happens, but what we do as individuals to improve ourselves and the lives of others.

jcwit
12-30-2014, 08:40 AM
I have a positive attitude for the coming year. My wife and I have returned going to church and that alone is a positive thing. Only good can come from it.

Hickory
12-30-2014, 08:56 AM
My personal thoughts are to live long enough to make it to 2016.
That's a very good objective for myself. Stay tuned for the next 52 weeks.

bangerjim
12-30-2014, 12:08 PM
I just made my 2015 New Year's resolution:

Do not make New Year's resolutions.

banger

turmech
12-30-2014, 04:49 PM
I don't make any kind of resolutions typically. At this time of year I generally just feel hopeful for the new year and thankful for all I do have.
However, this year I am hoping to not pick up the cigarettes again having quit over the summer. I am glad they are gone but after ½ my life with them I do still miss one once and a while. And if I could loose the 25 lbs I put on somehow by quitting I would be really happy.

JWFilips
12-30-2014, 05:27 PM
Please be better then 2014!

xs11jack
12-30-2014, 09:52 PM
I am with Banger!!!!
Ole Jack

eveready
12-30-2014, 10:28 PM
Hopefully the Republicans will grow a pair and get this great country back on the right track.

HeavyMetal
12-30-2014, 11:14 PM
with Republicans in control of both houses we may see some form of sanity return to the Federal Gov., maybe, LOL!

I do remember the last time it happened during Clinton's time and the budget got balanced and everything ran smooth.

This year was my best at work and I hope to do the same again in 2015, hoping to make it to 70 in good health.

Need to make more time off to shoot!! Last year was terrible between work and Jeep issues, work smoothed out the last quarter and I think I cured the jeep ( Christmas weekend was the first time since March I wasn't under the hood)

I have a range date planned end of January for myself and fellow employees so that will be a start, looking forward to trying out the new skeet thrower!

Mtnfolk75
12-31-2014, 01:13 AM
My bestest Bro survived an Icy wreck into the North Fork of the Salmon River on Christmas Eve. He moved to Idaho when he retired in June of 2006, I have visited only once .... :cry: He and I made a pact during our Christmas Day phonecall to make more than our annual Christmas Day calls in 2015.

1989toddm
12-31-2014, 02:22 AM
I'm going to give more and take less.
Listen more and talk less.
I'm going to make my grandkids believe Paw Paw is the greatest thing on earth.
And I will get my '06 to shooting cast like I want it too.

JD

These sound like worthy goals!

1989toddm
12-31-2014, 02:24 AM
I have a positive attitude for the coming year. My wife and I have returned going to church and that alone is a positive thing. Only good can come from it.

Praise Him! That is great, God bless you both.

waksupi
12-31-2014, 02:30 AM
I have already begun on the new year. I have my mind focused on longer days, and warmer temperatures. I truly believe I can make it happen.

starmac
12-31-2014, 04:46 AM
Well the days aren't any longer, but it's warmer up here. lol

dragonrider
12-31-2014, 10:07 AM
Please be better then 2014!

Have you forgotten who is sqatting in the White House?? 2015 can only get worse.

daniel lawecki
12-31-2014, 10:15 AM
Mine is to live everyday to the fullest. And to shoot more and reload more.

popper
12-31-2014, 02:53 PM
Didn't celebrate New Years when I was a kid (birthdays either) no need to start now. Just another day tomorrow.

6bg6ga
12-31-2014, 03:24 PM
Have you forgotten who is sqatting in the White House?? 2015 can only get worse.

Kinda hoping he will fall and break his neck.

Moondawg
12-31-2014, 05:21 PM
Well, I heard that a whole bunch of federal taxes were going to get a lot higher on 1-1-15. We will all get to pay our fair share. :-(

OBIII
12-31-2014, 07:26 PM
2015 will be the last chance for Republicans to show that they listen to the American People. If they carry on with the same old tired agenda, it's going to get ugly.

OB

DougGuy
12-31-2014, 07:30 PM
I have already begun on the new year. I have my mind focused on longer days, and warmer temperatures. I truly believe I can make it happen.

You're moving to South Florida? :kidding:

David2011
01-01-2015, 01:34 AM
Yep, got a few thoughts. First, at a bare minimum, I wish every last one of you a 2015 that is at least as good as 2014. If 2014 was hard for your family, may it be better in the new year. If 2014 was good, may it be even better in 2015! Our 2014 got pretty tough. SWMBO just got home from the hospital(s) from a hip replacement revision, 9 weeks when we expected 2-3 weeks in the hospital. I than God that she came home to me a few days ago after a life threatening infection. She seems to be doing very well. SWMBO an I just got married at the age of 59 in November of 2013. Our anniversary was spent with her in the hospital. At that age, a good woman is a treasure. She's still in need of help but she means the world to me. With God's grace she will be OK soon.

I want to hunt more, shoot more, cast more, reload more, fly my little airplanes more and live life to the fullest in the coming year and celebrate living every day. I wish you joy as well.

David

MaryB
01-01-2015, 02:04 AM
You fly RC? Whats good for an entry level radio for a sailplane(electric)? Wan to get back into it and I have space to fly from my yard.

Hickory
01-01-2015, 03:02 AM
Well, I heard that a whole bunch of federal taxes were going to get a lot higher on 1-1-15. We will all get to pay our fair share. :-(

The objective of government is to keep it's citizens on the edge of poverty,
and at the same time convince you that only they (the government) can improve your life.

dtknowles
01-01-2015, 03:19 AM
You fly RC? Whats good for an entry level radio for a sailplane(electric)? Wan to get back into it and I have space to fly from my yard.

Mary, I would send you one that would work but as far as new equipment the whole scheme has changed since I last bought a radio. They are some sort of digital spread spectrum that eliminated the interference issue with shared frequencies. I have a number of old FM radios that are worthless or almost so that I am not using. If you don't have anyone else who could interfere with you they would work.

Tim

cobroller
01-01-2015, 12:52 PM
This time next year it will be last year. Fond memories will abound. Happy New Year everyone.

Dave18
01-01-2015, 02:07 PM
spent way too much time at work, and no time for anything else,(even had to have help to get wood for the winter) and to top it off, the management wanted us there 7 days a week-10-12hr days- all yr,(maint work, not button pushing) well, we reminded them about all our vacation time, that we CANNOT carry over or be paid for, so you use them or loose them, so guess what happened when December came around, everyone said, hey we warned you , told you, ect, even went up the latter, along with some people threatening with lawyers, they got themselves in a bind, along with their outsourced people who said oh, we`re taking off from this date to that date, bye, , I think the lean idea got taken too far, we will see what happens this yr, although they are talking about taking away tools and tool boxes, but want as much or more to be fixed-another topic in its self

so for this yr, this dude is taking time for himself no matter what, only got a couple more yrs then Im out of the rat race, just hope they don't steal the retirement like what everyone has been hearing about, between corp people and gov people trying to steal the retirements its making a lot of people rather irritable

going to pay more attention to my health, got too many friends that have lost it and would give anything to get it back, along with those who died and I never found out till way later,

spend more time with the grandkids, they are getting old enough to do things with, hey maybe even go shooting eh,

anyway for everyone on this board may you have a good yr, may those with bad luck last yr, have good luck this yr, and for what its worth, this board seems to have the most grounded, commonsense, easygoing bunch, that is relaxing to just read what is put up,

take care all, [smilie=s:

MaryB
01-02-2015, 03:32 AM
Short of kids with drones in town and I haven't seen or heard any I don't think interference would be an issue. I want to do an old fashioned balsa stick built sailplane so shouldn't need more than 4 channels that I can think of... I need to look at available models and see whats out there.

Mary, I would send you one that would work but as far as new equipment the whole scheme has changed since I last bought a radio. They are some sort of digital spread spectrum that eliminated the interference issue with shared frequencies. I have a number of old FM radios that are worthless or almost so that I am not using. If you don't have anyone else who could interfere with you they would work.

Tim

dtknowles
01-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Short of kids with drones in town and I haven't seen or heard any I don't think interference would be an issue. I want to do an old fashioned balsa stick built sailplane so shouldn't need more than 4 channels that I can think of... I need to look at available models and see whats out there.

I think the Kiddie drones are on a different frequency band. My old equipment is Futaba, they are a quality name brand, I am sure they have good equipment using the new digital format.

Tim

MaryB
01-02-2015, 11:19 PM
I was thinking right 4 channels for an electric sailplane, found a nice kit for around $120 so not bad.

dtknowles
01-03-2015, 12:49 AM
I was thinking right 4 channels for an electric sailplane, found a nice kit for around $120 so not bad.

Are you talking about a radio kit? I would consider 4 channel a minimum. Rudder, Elevator, Ailerons and Throttle. You will need a speed control and it could come with a receiver battery eliminator circuit or you can use separate receiver and motor batteries. You will need three servos minimum but I would get four with two of them mini servos so you can put one in each wing for each aileron. If the transmitter is more than 4 channels and can program function mixing you can have a landing setting that causes the ailerons to deflect like flaps or spoilers. I can't recommend any current production hardware for radios of airframes or powerplants or batteries because it has advanced so much since I was into the hobby.

It sounds like you have no experience and nobody to mentor you. This will be a challenge, I did it and I know you can too, just take baby steps and I think you picking a motor glider (not really a sailplane) is a go way to start. I almost the same thing only I used a bungee launched two meter polyhedral balsa wood and film glider.

To start teaching myself, I would toss it straight ahead and see how far I could get it to glide without stalling or dropping a wing. Then I started to see about turning. Once I had the controls down going away from me and coming towards me (roll and yaw reverse depending on your orientation unless you think yourself into the cockpit) Have you drive radio controlled cars? I did not damage that glider so much that I could not rebuild it and after a few months of bungee launches I put a motor into it. If you want more help we can do it on a PM unless others are interested.

Tim

Tim

MaryB
01-04-2015, 03:54 AM
I was into RC back in the 70's, had a nice Piper Cub model. Bunch of us were out at the field one day and some idiot fired up on my frequency and I got to watch my plane nose in from 200 feet. I wasn't an expert but managed take offs and landings okay, crashed a few times but that is part of learning. After the crash I was busy working on the houses we were remodeling and flipping as a family and didn't have time, then I started working a regular job and got busy with all that. Plus in summer I spent every weekend fishing after I got out of high school... now I have more time and building a kit would be a good winter project. Have it ready to fly by spring. Kit I looked at recommended 4 channels, 4 micro servos being a smaller plane at 1250mm. I enjoy working with my hands and winter the wood shop is to cold and to full of all the summer junk off the deck plus the lawn mower and snowblower I store in the corn crib in summer.

Working on a few laser projects, making a red oak rack for dies with a drawer underneath and a flip over cover to keep dust and dirt out. That one is on progress in Corel Draw. Have some astronomy parts to prototype for a friend that might turn into a product to sell... My back may be trashed but I can still sit and do computer work for an hour then go do something standing or walking for 20-30 minutes then back to design work... Plus I can laser cut plane parts for RC and am exploring that as another market.

dtknowles
01-04-2015, 01:43 PM
I was into RC back in the 70's, had a nice Piper Cub model. Bunch of us were out at the field one day and some idiot fired up on my frequency and I got to watch my plane nose in from 200 feet. I wasn't an expert but managed take offs and landings okay, crashed a few times but that is part of learning. After the crash I was busy working on the houses we were remodeling and flipping as a family and didn't have time, then I started working a regular job and got busy with all that. Plus in summer I spent every weekend fishing after I got out of high school... now I have more time and building a kit would be a good winter project. Have it ready to fly by spring. Kit I looked at recommended 4 channels, 4 micro servos being a smaller plane at 1250mm. I enjoy working with my hands and winter the wood shop is to cold and to full of all the summer junk off the deck plus the lawn mower and snowblower I store in the corn crib in summer.

Working on a few laser projects, making a red oak rack for dies with a drawer underneath and a flip over cover to keep dust and dirt out. That one is on progress in Corel Draw. Have some astronomy parts to prototype for a friend that might turn into a product to sell... My back may be trashed but I can still sit and do computer work for an hour then go do something standing or walking for 20-30 minutes then back to design work... Plus I can laser cut plane parts for RC and am exploring that as another market.

I apologize for thinking you were a novice. I did enjoy building RC models from Balsa and went on to learn to learn using foam and fiber glass as well. I designed and built a number of different designs.

I don't know what you lasers power is but I built one laser cut kit. It was a speed 400 size F6F Hellcat, it went together nicely.

Tim

Powder Burn
01-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Hoping the next 10 years of retirement go slower than the 1st 10 years. I'm having too much fun I guess.

TXGunNut
01-04-2015, 02:17 PM
I generally don't make or discuss resolutions but this year is different. I acquired some very interesting rifles and moulds last year and haven't taken the time to truly enjoy them. With the exception of two moulds I'm in the process of buying on wish lists or a GB I've resolved to forego buying any new moulds or old rifles in 2015. I've been very busy on a few major family and estate matters lately and it's frustrating to have so little time to play with my toys. My shooting buddy is getting older and feebler every year, I better get out there with him every chance I get.

MaryB
01-05-2015, 02:30 AM
60 watt CO2 laser, water cooled. I have cut 1/2 inch red oak and 1/2" birch ply with it. Haven't tried balsa, I should buy a sheet next time I am at Menards and see how it cuts. The holes for the Lee Turrets are laser cut, there is not a lot of leeway on the lip of them(about 2mm) so it needs to be precise

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/Gun%20engraving/2013-07-16_02-44-53_379_zpsfe49d98a.jpg

Also make Bahtinov focus masks for telescopes from Acrylic, plastics cut well as long as they don't contain chlorine.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/AT6RC-CN-version.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/AT6RC-Bahtinov-mask.jpg

I apologize for thinking you were a novice. I did enjoy building RC models from Balsa and went on to learn to learn using foam and fiber glass as well. I designed and built a number of different designs.

I don't know what you lasers power is but I built one laser cut kit. It was a speed 400 size F6F Hellcat, it went together nicely.

Tim

koehlerrk
01-05-2015, 07:43 AM
Nice work Mary, looks great!

Been thinking about building a CNC router with my son... wasn't aware a laser could cut 1/2" oak... that's impressive.

How does it do on cabinet grade plywood? Or does the glue mess it all up?

dtknowles
01-05-2015, 11:31 AM
60 watt CO2 laser, water cooled. I have cut 1/2 inch red oak and 1/2" birch ply with it. Haven't tried balsa, I should buy a sheet next time I am at Menards and see how it cuts. The holes for the Lee Turrets are laser cut, there is not a lot of leeway on the lip of them(about 2mm) so it needs to be precise

Also make Bahtinov focus masks for telescopes from Acrylic, plastics cut well as long as they don't contain chlorine.

I am sure it will cut balsa and Ply that is used in Model aircraft very well. You might want to make an extra set of ribs for you plane before you build it just in case ;-)

Tim

firefly1957
01-05-2015, 08:33 PM
I have two trains of thought on the new year. The only thing they have in common is i believe obama will refuse to work with republicans.

A) The lower gas prices and some court rulings against obamacare (employer mandate) will bring jobs back to America and things will look up.

B) The media will continue to divide us and only report what they wish the "victims groups" will use the cheap gas to burn down our cities and it will be a terrible year.
Now these may sound like opposing items but it is possible they both happen as well.(someone will need to rebuild what is destroyed)

MaryB
01-06-2015, 02:06 AM
Some glues cut well some don't. Before someone asks me to use a particular plywood I tell them to go to Menards and buy a 2x2 foot sample for me to test. You can also do some fun stuff engraving wood with high details

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/Gun%20engraving/2013-04-02_18-12-50_501_zps64664360.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/Gun%20engraving/2013-03-04_17-32-38_618_zps09000227.jpg

Nice work Mary, looks great!

Been thinking about building a CNC router with my son... wasn't aware a laser could cut 1/2" oak... that's impressive.

How does it do on cabinet grade plywood? Or does the glue mess it all up?

MaryB
01-06-2015, 02:07 AM
Might look for cad plans and raw balsa and cut my own parts... have to see whats out there and what format.

I am sure it will cut balsa and Ply that is used in Model aircraft very well. You might want to make an extra set of ribs for you plane before you build it just in case ;-)

Tim

dtknowles
01-06-2015, 11:44 AM
Might look for cad plans and raw balsa and cut my own parts... have to see whats out there and what format.

Sorry I don't have any cad plans, I have lots of paper plans. For years I built on paper plans cover (or not) with wax paper. Held parts with pins waiting for the glue to dry. It is so nice now to use Cyanoacrylate glues. Could you convert a line drawing into CAD? One thing I always see on laser cut parts is that they leave a bit of the part uncut so it is supported and does not move while cutting or handling.

Tim

WILCO
01-06-2015, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the replies Gentlemen. I enjoy reading them.

MaryB
01-06-2015, 10:52 PM
I can convert a pdf, just a lot of steps to get everything to size right when done. Will play with it tomorrow, going to be to cold to step outside with -40 windchills. High temp of -5 forecast for tomorrow too. Got up way to early today so a lady could pick up an antique typewriter I had for sale so brain fog is bad. If I don't sleep the pain meds combined with over tired make me not function well.

Sorry I don't have any cad plans, I have lots of paper plans. For years I built on paper plans cover (or not) with wax paper. Held parts with pins waiting for the glue to dry. It is so nice now to use Cyanoacrylate glues. Could you convert a line drawing into CAD? One thing I always see on laser cut parts is that they leave a bit of the part uncut so it is supported and does not move while cutting or handling.

Tim

WILCO
01-13-2015, 10:55 AM
Bump!