PDA

View Full Version : Marlin vs Henry vs Uberti vs Rossi

bigarm
12-29-2014, 12:30 AM
Want to buy a lever action rifle in .357. Looked at a new Marlin at a Cabelas and it the quality seemed quite good. However, I wanted to sell a couple of things to finance this rifle. Ended up selling them right away, but the rifle was already sold. I am disappointed. There seem to be plenty of 44's but no 357's except for older ones and the owners seem to be wanting a great deal for them. Henry Big Boys, Uberti 66's and 73's and Rossi's all seem to be available. The Uberti's are expensive, the Henry less so and the Rossi's definitely the cheapest. For those of you that own any of these, how do you like them? I have a lead on a Henry for a reasonable price, but don't know much about them and I think they are kind of a new design, not really a remake of any other rifle. That probably doesn't matter as I won't be using it cowboy action shooting, but still would like to know about it. So, this is getting kind of long. Tell me what you know.

jmort
12-29-2014, 12:34 AM
If you have the $$$ the 1873 is the pick of the litter.

psweigle
12-29-2014, 12:45 AM
If you are going to put a scope on it, go with the Henry. If it is a really great deal, go with the Henry. Did you look at the ruger m77/357? I too am looking to buy a 357 rifle. My thoughts are leaning to the ruger, Henry, and marlin. I can put a scope on any of those 3 without any special mount. The marlin as you said is hard to find and unreasonably priced as well. Good luck. Plus the Henry is an old company with a great reputation so I wouldn't be afraid of it.

seaboltm
12-29-2014, 01:12 AM
Hard to beat a Rossi for the money. Tuning is easy and well documented. If you want a scope, go with a Marlin. The flat top is drill and tapped already. Gunbroker will increase your odds dramatically, but even there you won't find a whole lot of 357 rifles. I bought an older Rossi 357 on Gunbroker a couple of weeks ago for $415. Very clean cosmetically. Lever operates with one finger. Cycles and shoots just fine. I looked for several months before finding one I wanted in the price range I was willing to pay.

starmac
12-29-2014, 01:15 AM
Personally, I would give the henry a hard look, american made still stands for something, I hope.

TXGunNut
12-29-2014, 01:28 AM
Tough choices. What are your plans for the rifle? Can you still use buckhorn sight? Peeps? Prefer or require a scope?

fouronesix
12-29-2014, 01:38 AM
I have a Marlin 94 in 357- well made and shoots/functions well. It's the only "modern" lever I have. Although I don't own one, the only other experience with one of the listed "modern" lever guns is a Uberti 73. Functions and shoots well and seems to be very well put together- much better than the Rossi, IMO

Hard to compare the current "Henry" to any other lever gun because of the design, but the couple I've looked at weren't the best- but they do put a high gloss polish on the brass. BTW, the current Henry company is not an old company. It was established in 1996 using the Henry name. Has nothing to do with the Henry rifle of 1860.

bigarm
12-29-2014, 02:01 AM
Tough choices. What are your plans for the rifle? Can you still use buckhorn sight? Peeps? Prefer or require a scope?
Mainly just a fun gun. I can use buckhorn sights, but quite frankly am getting older. I would probably prefer peep sights or a tang sight eventually to see better. Not crazy about scopes on a lever gun. Like them on other rifles, though.

Bazoo
12-29-2014, 02:05 AM
I'd go with either an older marlin, or a uberti. Marlin first because of spare parts availability. Uberti quality appears good, but i have no first hand experience. Only experience I have with a henry is hefting all 8 pounds of it to shoulder at the gun store. Thought to myself, glad my marlin aint that heavy as i carry it around with me.

paralaska
12-29-2014, 03:11 AM
For good looks . . . I like the Henry Big Boy or a case hardened Uberti . . . For durability, I'd prefer the Marlin or Rossi . . . For best price, the Rossi is probably most bang for your buck. I've owned both a Marlin 94 and a Rossi 92. Like the 92 better, but would consider a Henry or Uberti if the price was right.

pirkfan
12-29-2014, 10:49 AM
I have 2 Rossi carbines (357 and 45 colt) and a Henry Big Boy in 357. The Big Boy that I started out with had a major problem right out of the box. Took it back to the dealer, they sent it in and Henry actually replaced it, no charge. Can't beat that for customer service, although does make you worry a little about QC. The replacement is a beautiful gun, almost too pretty to shoot. It's accurate and smooth. It's heavy (over 8 lbs). The two Rossi's work well after a tear down and cleaning (great videos on YouTube for that). No problems with function. They are both round barrel, 16 and 20 inch respectively, very light, both weigh right around 5 lbs. I'd have a hard time giving up either the Rossi's or the Henry. Other than being lever action, they are quite different rifles. If I HAD to chose only one, just on most fun factor, I'd go with the Rossi 16 inch 38/357.

robertbank
12-29-2014, 11:06 AM
Uberti might cost more but one of their 1873's is something to behold. Hands down better made then any of the other options. The Marlin would be my next choice particularly if you are going to scope the gun. Well below those twp choices would be the Henry and Rossi. If you are not going to scope the gun go with the Rossi. The carbine is lighter than the Henry and uses the well proven '92 Action. The Henry's look like a brick compared to the lines of a '92.

Not mentioned would be the Winchester Japanese rifles. As much or more than than the Uberti but built with the same care and attention as the Uberti.

Take Care

Bob

bob208
12-29-2014, 11:08 AM
I would look at any of the older ones with out that cross bolt safety. I have an older rossi in .357 bought it at a auction 15 years ago. did not have to do anything to it. it works just as good as my 92's so I us it rather then putting more wear on them.

Camba
12-29-2014, 01:31 PM
Bigarm,
I am glad to know I am not the only one in the same pursuit. I too am looking for a Marlin 94 or a Rossi 92 in 38/357. I do like to have the scope mounting option with a side eject because my eye sight is no longer 20/20. I had never tried a peep sight in any of my guns but I would also like to try it.
I have asked opinions on both, the Rossi and the Marlin and I got them. It's been a roller coaster for me and I am flip-flopping between the two for decision making.
Camba

Foto Joe
12-29-2014, 01:49 PM
I'm really kind of surprised at some of the comments regarding Henry. I picked up a Henry H009B 30-30 this last spring on GunBroker. The trigger was a bit on the stiff side and a few hours with another forum member fixed that and educated me as to the inner workings. I own a Marlin in 44 as well and there really isn't any comparison to the two. The fit and finish on the Henry is top rate, the Marlin is more of a "working" gun.

missionary5155
12-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Greetings
If this caliber .357 magnum carbine / rifle will ever be used to hunt with and 180 grain or heavier boolits are going to be in the mix I personaly would not want to be dependent on a toggle lock up system. I realise all the "new" 1873's have good steel used in them. But they still are using the same basic "weak" bolt locking system.
I shoot 180 grainers in my Rossi and Marlin with no fear at all causing damage to the carbines or anyone standing about. The locking systems are well proven with far heavier caliber / boolit combinations. THE 1873 design is still just that. You can buy near 2 Rossis and easily a Marlin for the cost of the Uberti 1873.
So again.. if you ever think you might want to shoot some heavy cast loads look deep inside the bolt lockup.
Mike in Peru

Safeshot
12-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Marlin. Probably why they are in short supply, sell quickly and cost more. Just my choice and opinion.

jmort
12-29-2014, 02:26 PM
They are not in current production, that is why the market is strong. The last ones out from Remington were below average. No a bad choice, but let's keep it real.

fouronesix
12-29-2014, 03:02 PM
For those worried about the strength of any of the models listed in the OP… the 357 cartridge is just big enough that any one of them could be kaboomed with the wrong load.

If worried, probably the strongest of the category IMO, but not listed in the OP, would be this one. But…. marketing, shine, bling, purdy and cheap sells.

hightime
12-29-2014, 07:41 PM
It sure would be nice of you to buy one of each, then tell us what you think.

robertbank
12-29-2014, 08:09 PM
For those worried about the strength of any of the models listed in the OP… the 357 cartridge is just big enough that any one of them could be kaboomed with the wrong load.

If worried, probably the strongest of the category IMO, but not listed in the OP, would be this one. But…. marketing, shine, bling, purdy and cheap sells.

Have you seen the price of the Japanese Winchesters or Uberti 1873's? Quality sells to but at a much higher price point than some can afford. The '92 Rossi's I have are hell for stout. I can't imagine the actions going south in their 38/357 mag caliber carbines when the same action is used for the .44Mag and 45 -70.

Take Care

Bob

jmort
12-29-2014, 08:17 PM
And, moreover, unlike any other lever model, .454 Casull.

bigarm
12-29-2014, 08:29 PM

Yes, that would be nice wouldn't it!

bigarm
12-29-2014, 08:32 PM
I had a local shop check to see if they could get a new Marlin and no such luck. I am having them check to see if they can get a Rossi with the 24" octagon barrel (that would be a little different). Then if they can get one I will decide between that and the Henry that I can get from a private party (if he still has it). Thanks for the information.

dragon813gt
12-29-2014, 08:59 PM
My search for levers is limited to Marlin and Savage. While Henrys are high quality they are to heavy. I don't find them attractive and I hate loading a tube. Ubertis and Winchesters are nice but price is to high and I don't like top ejection. I don't even consider Rossi. Try to order some common parts for one and you will find out why I don't even look at them. These are just my opinions.

I'd wait for a new Marlin to be available or wait for an older one at a decent price. Gunbroker is a bad place to look for them. There is a second year production 1894C on the Marlin Owners forum for $1k right now. Still a little to much but a lot better than $1,300. Plenty have been offered up between $750-$900. You just have to check often and be ready to buy immediately.

starmac
12-29-2014, 09:29 PM
I do not or have never owned a rossi, but from what I have read the 454 is made of different steel, so a bit stouter in the 454 compared to the 45. I don't see how comparing the 357, strength wies to it or even 45/70 is serious comparison.

pirkfan
12-29-2014, 09:37 PM
I don't even consider Rossi. Try to order some common parts for one and you will find out why I don't even look at them. These are just my opinions.

On the Rossi Rifleman forum: http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2947

Apparently Braztech Rossi is being more accommodating about parts (if the rifle is out of warranty). The weapon must be a Braztech Rossi, older models from Navy Arms and other importers are not supported.

missionary5155
12-29-2014, 09:53 PM
Greetings
I just looked at GB and there are at least a bakers dozen Marlins for sale.
Then there are about 35 Rossi's.
Strength wise... I have not heard of any model 92 failing in the lockup. The same Rossi receiver and lockup used in the 45Colt and 44 mag is what is made as a 357 Magnum. I agree any cartridge can cause a detonation. But as of yet I await to see a model 92 action that has come apart at the rear of the action. I do not have all the info in the world so maybe it has happened. I have seen the results of receiver to barrel areas split but never the locking lug area.

But getting back to the OP.... Do consider what it will be used for. A model 92 Rossi with a 16 inch barrel is a mighty handy little powerhouse to tote about. A 20 inch Marlin is easily handled all day, These two in a caliber .357 with 180 grain plus cast will handle most any need east of Ol Muddy.
If all you will shoot will be 38 Special powered loads then a model 73 will last a long time. They are a bit heavier and a weaker action but a classic design.
Mike in Peru

jmort
12-29-2014, 10:04 PM
I have a 16" .357 Rossi 92. As I have mentioned, I got a top SASS gunsmith to tune it, and it is slick, and handy, but nothing compared to a tuned 1873. But that is comparing a $700 tuned 92 to a $1500 tuned 73. In the end, there really is no bad choice here for you.

starmac
12-29-2014, 10:27 PM
I really do not know that the cost of a marlin is much more, or even any more when you factor what the resale value is. I don't know about the japchesters, besuase I rarely run across a used one.

robertbank
12-29-2014, 10:34 PM
I do not or have never owned a rossi, but from what I have read the 454 is made of different steel, so a bit stouter in the 454 compared to the 45. I don't see how comparing the 357, strength wies to it or even 45/70 is serious comparison.

Where did you hear that? Makes no sense to me. What would be different in the steel or the benefit? I suspect just internet gossip. Sometimes I wonder if some of the posters have ever been in business or manufacturing.

Take Care

Bob

starmac
12-29-2014, 11:43 PM
Where did you hear that? Makes no sense to me. What would be different in the steel or the benefit? I suspect just internet gossip. Sometimes I wonder if some of the posters have ever been in business or manufacturing.

Take Care

Bob

For one place right here on this forum when a member was thinking of haveing his 45 turned into a 454, but that isn't the first time or even close to it that I have heard it. It was mentioned they were strong enough because they make a 45/70, how is that a comparison, is the 45/70 on a 92 action???
I don't have anything against a rossi, have never owned one, so can't speak bad about one, but I sure see them come up for sale in pistol calibers a lot more often than the competition, maybe they have built a lot more of them though.

Lowpower
12-30-2014, 12:13 AM
I have a Marlin '94 and Uberti '73 in .45 Colt. Both have actions like warm butter but the '73 has a short stroke kit in it and it's lightning
fast. I wouldn't get rid of either of them and would recommend both. Sorry if it's wrong caliber but they cycle .45's like nothing!

robertbank
12-30-2014, 12:40 AM
For one place right here on this forum when a member was thinking of haveing his 45 turned into a 454, but that isn't the first time or even close to it that I have heard it. It was mentioned they were strong enough because they make a 45/70, how is that a comparison, is the 45/70 on a 92 action???
I don't have anything against a rossi, have never owned one, so can't speak bad about one, but I sure see them come up for sale in pistol calibers a lot more often than the competition, maybe they have built a lot more of them though.

One reason wht I suspect they come up fpr sale often is the guns can be used as entry level guns for Cowboy Action Shooting. They are not as fast as for shooting than say the 1873's. Folks soon want to move up to the '73's, and as a previous poster indicated he had a short stroked '73, likely to play CAS but maybe not.

Too, the Rossis are relatively inexpensive compared to the Uberti's and Marlins. They likely sell more of the Rossis and would be my guess. They are robust 1892 rifles.

Take Care

Bob

jmort
12-30-2014, 12:48 AM
The guy who invented the short stroke kit is who tunes my guns. SASS has done more for guys like me than I could have ever imagined. Single actions, lever actions, pump/SxS shotguns. What a blessing in new technology/tuning for old guns. It is a beautiful thing. I have not shot, but have cycled my guy's short stroked 73, what an eye opener. I want one.

jmort
12-30-2014, 12:55 AM
The Rossi 92s can take 60k psi, none of the others Come close to that. The others max around 36k psi.

starmac
12-30-2014, 02:01 AM
The Rossi 92s can take 60k psi, none of the others Come close to that. The others max around 36k psi.

Is there a site that tells what they have been proofed at.

robertbank
12-30-2014, 02:18 AM
Is there a site that tells what they have been proofed at.

Not sure of a site but the 454 Casull loads on Hogdon Powder Reloading Data Site shows 296 loads at 51,600CUP. I would assume it is proofed for more than a maximum powder load.

Take Care

Bob

starmac
12-30-2014, 02:28 AM
They are all proeoed for saami specs of the cartridges, but the reason I am asking is rossi cautioned against and voids warranty for hot 45 colt loads in the 45 colt guns Sammi spec 45 loads are pretty anemic.

Here is something I found. I probably had it wrong when I said I had read about different steel, and probably had read that it was just a different heat treatment to strengthen the 454 action.
Here is an excerpt from a 2003 Guns Magazine article written by Holt Bodinson.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_99145185/ (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_5_49/ai_99145185/)

"When the Puma .454 arrived, the first thing I did was to call Glen Ruh at Legacy Sports International to ask him how Rossi had been able to adapt the 1892 design to the hot Casull cartridge. Ruh explained that the metallurgy and heat treatment had been modified to handle the high pressure and that the carbine had been thoroughly torture tested by H.P. White Laboratories using standard factory ammunition."

jmort
12-30-2014, 02:37 AM
Make that 65k psi

http://www.lasc.us/SAAMIMaxPressure.htm

robertbank
12-30-2014, 02:41 AM
Seems reasonable but even then Glen Ruth would have no way of knowing, It would seem pretty logical to me to run all the barrels for the carbines through the same process. The barrel blanks and receivers are for the most part identical. From my experience dealing with the manufacturers back East (I was in Commercial Banking in Canada) the incremental costs to increase the heat treating would be offset by inventory handling and supply issues during the assembly process. You never know. I do know the carbines have been reported as being pretty robust.

I put a recoil pad on my Rossi 92 in 44Mag. The curved steel butt plate was made for someone who had a death wish for his shoulder. The little carbine was darn right hurtful. Even with a recoil pad on the 454 Casull I just have to think it would be punishing. I don't do hurtful well anymore if I have a choice....and I do.:bigsmyl2:

Have a great evening.

Bob

starmac
12-30-2014, 02:54 AM
Yea, without actual confirmation out of rossi, who knows. I have read that ruger (iirc) a different steel and heat treating process on cylinders on at least one of their hand cannons.

If I understand it right, the 454 is no longer in rossis lineup, it might be the heat treatment out wayed the cost for the number of 454's they sold.

jetsfan-24
12-30-2014, 09:06 AM
I just picked up a rossi 454 that was new bout 3 months ago after my dealer searched for one for bout 5 months so I,m pretty sure they r still being made

pirkfan
12-30-2014, 10:41 AM
Buds has two new ones listed right now.

fouronesix
12-30-2014, 03:14 PM
Since an earlier post in this thread brought up the question of relative strength of these various action designs- no doubt the M73 type is not as strong as the others. I have no idea about the Henry. The Marlin would be strong and IMO the Win 92 action design is as strong or likely stronger than any of them. Whether Rossi or Winchester (Miroku), the 92 is going to be strong.

QC and after sale support on any of these is left to past experiences of many other people. The Rossi line has had both QC and support problems. The after sale support by Henry has apparently been good, but IMO the basic design "beneath the bling" leaves something to be desired. The QC and workmanship of both the Win 92 and the Uberti 73 is and has been very good.

That gets to the question of, "is it affordable?". Well, is any boy toy truly affordable? Or what is the definition of "value"? 10 years from now will a 650.00 Rossi 92 retain more % of value than an 1150.00 Win 92? Or 10 years from now will a 400.00 Marlin 94 retain more % of value than a 400.00 Henry 'whateverucallit'? No matter the market price, in the future, how hard will it be to sell any particular model/brand if that becomes necessary or desired?

bigarm
12-30-2014, 04:55 PM
Update
I made a decision. I at first wanted a Marlin because I own some, like them, are familiar with them and find them to be very good guns. However, new ones are almost impossible to get in .357 and used ones are selling for very high prices. If it were a Cowboy model in pristine condition, I could see $900 - 1000, but that's what regular models seem to be selling for. The 73's are beautiful rifles and probably worth their price, but once again used ones are about a thousand and new ones are more. I decided that I could go cheaper and probably be happy with my use. I then got down to 2 guns, a slightly used Henry at a pretty good price and I saw a Rossi on the internet with a 24" octagon barrel. This was a difficult decision. I called a couple of local gun stores and they could not get the Rossi. I then found one on the internet, the only one I could find and I could get it for about $525 shipped. At that price I decided to go for the Rossi and ordered it. The gun store I have been using for ffl transfers has been charging only $15, so for a dollar less than $540 I will be getting a new rifle. That is the least I have spent on a gun in a while. I hope it works out okay.

dragon813gt
12-30-2014, 05:04 PM
A pre safety Marlin 1894C was listed here today for $550. Needless to say it sold immediately.

starmac
12-30-2014, 05:53 PM
like in 30 minutes.

dragon813gt
12-30-2014, 06:10 PM
like in 30 minutes.

I saw it at the hour mark. If I wasn't paying bills I would have been looking at the forum. Lost out on a good one due to adult responsibilities :(

bigarm
12-30-2014, 06:15 PM
Wouldn't you know it? Oh well, win some and lose some. I have been watching websites and forums for days and still missed it!

AnthonyB
12-30-2014, 06:27 PM
I bought a Rossi 357 a few years ago, did the Steve's Gunz action improvements, and replaced the safety with a peep sight also from Steve. It will feed the 360180 we have done so many group buys on, and the action is fantastic. It still needs a stock re-finish, and I'll get to that sometime in the next 20 years. However, I can't see well enough to reach the potential of the cartridge/rifle, so a stainless Ruger 77/357 followed me home from the last gun show. It now has a Leupold 1-4 mounted and is waiting on the first range trip.
Tony

starmac
12-30-2014, 06:28 PM
No tire kickers on that one. I was looking on and off, but it went away before I saw it.

jmort
12-30-2014, 07:18 PM
I saw it within one minute of posting and passed due to lack of $$$. Obviously a great deal.

jmort
12-30-2014, 07:20 PM
O/P got a good deal on his new 24" Rossi. He will be very happy with his new lever.

hp246
12-30-2014, 07:46 PM
I have a Rossi 92 and an Uberti 73. Both are in .45 Colt and both are set up for Cowboy Action Shooting. Both guns were bought used but unaltered. The 92 was a *** out of the box. Only after a huge amount of work is it acceptable for CAS. Even then, it is my back up. The 73 was better unaltered than the 92 with an action job. After having an action job, the 92 can't hold a candle to the 73. As for the Marlin's, I know some shooters using them. They tend to like them but they seem to be a bit more finicky than a set up 73. The 66s seem to be in about the same league as the 73s. A buddy of mine has a 66 and he loves it. As far as price is concerned, I paid about $400 for the 92 and $700 for the 73. 73s can be found for a reasonable price. You just have to do some searching.

JohnH
12-30-2014, 09:09 PM
I bought a Rossi 24" octagonal '92 back in the spring. It has been a lot of fun to shoot. As a plinking load I use the Lee 200 RF which drops at 217 grains from my 6 banger. I use 5.5 grains of Red Dot in magnum cases, load clocks 960 over my friends Chrony. With my aging eyes and the factory buckhorn, I'm getting 2.5 to 3 inch groups at 50 yards. Certainly not great what some would consider a great load, but for me, lots of fun. I also have a Lee 310 I modified by cutting the top of the mold off to remove the gas check shank. A Handi I once had would shoot that boolit into 2" at 75 yards and with it I killed several deer. The Rossi scatters that boolit like buckshot. I've not slugged my bore, but I know SAAMI specs call for a .424 bore and .431 groove diameter barrel. The modified Lee averages .430 and a 431 sizer barely touches the boolit. I ordered an NOE 434429 and the Rossi shoots it quite well, 2" at 50 when I can hold still. I'm not sizing the boolit, but rather running the forward driving band into my 431 sizer (nose first) so that the forward driving band and that alone is .431, the rest of the boolit is as dropped at .434 I'm using 45-45-10 for lube. It's rained all the week of Christmas (was out of town when it wasn't raining :( so I've not shot but 20 rounds so far. Hope to remedy that this weekend. I like the Rossi. It is slick and getting more so as I work the action, the weight of the barrel makes offhand shooting nice, I like it much better than the carbine version next to it at the gun shop when I bought mine. I gave 475 for this rifle as new but used. (figure someone got it didn't perform to expectation is some way traded it.. my good) Marlins, Henrys and Winchesters are simply beyond my financial abilities. I'm sure that in one way or another each of the higher cost rifles has something over the Rossi, but I'm enjoying mine immensely. I'm not into SASS, or any other type of competition shooting except against my neighbor and his grand son. When I bring the Rossi out, grins are big and the ammo supply low. For a rifle to enjoy the Rossi is hard to beat. You may find the barrel dimensions to be somewhat of a problem (or not, many variables here) but I believe you will enjoy the rifle.

blackpowder man
12-31-2014, 04:10 PM
I have a 94 Marlin cowboy in .45, 92 rossi 24" in.44 mag, And my latest a rossi 16" stainless in .45. The long marin and rossi are both great shooters. The rossi has a much heavier barrel profile and I find the action to be much smoother than the marlin. I've never found marlin actions to be super smooth compared to the winchester designs. When it comes to value a stainless rossi from buds in the $500 dollar range is a smoking deal if you like stainless. Ever look at stainless marlin prices? Hopefully the rossi will make you happy and if it works and shoots like my 2 I think you will be. Happy shooting!

singleshot
01-01-2015, 01:55 PM
I've never heard anything but praise for the '73...as a benefit, a '73 will cycle with the rifle in any position, even upside-down. That can't be said for any of the other actions.

With that said, how many of us have had to shoot and cycle while upside-down?

robertbank
01-01-2015, 02:10 PM
I've never heard anything but praise for the '73...as a benefit, a '73 will cycle with the rifle in any position, even upside-down. That can't be said for any of the other actions.

With that said, how many of us have had to shoot and cycle while upside-down?

Have you not seen any Glock pistol ads?:bigsmyl2: The '73's are great guns. I have so many wants ahead of me and I seem to be running out of time to get then but one day an Uberti '73 will be in my hands.

Take Care

Bob

singleshot
01-02-2015, 04:43 AM
I guess I should have specified...of any of the other LEVER actions, the '73 is the only one to cycle inverted. There are certainly other "controlled feed" actions out there.

I'm seriously considering selling off a few of the stable and picking up a '73. I've almost purchased a marlin, rossi, and henry...but every time something about each causes me to rethink. The more I think about it the more convinced I am about my next levergun. Right now, the only other lever I'd consider is the Miraku/Winchester but the only caliber I've seen in that lately is 38/55.

robertbank
01-02-2015, 11:05 AM
singleshot I was just pulling your leg. Glock ads would have you believe dropping guns from helicopters or freezing the guns in blocks of ice has something to do with how a pistol is used. In some respects the '73's ability to shoot upside down falls in the same category. :) That said the Uberti '73 I held last summer was about the prettiest, well made rifle I have held in a long time. If only.....

Take care

Bob

singleshot
01-02-2015, 12:34 PM
Bob, I figured you were sporting with me, but I wasn't aware of the content of the Glock commercials. Thanks for the assist.

I'd be interested to hear the OPs results when he gets a chance to work over his new rifle.

The thing I didn't like about the Henry was the non-existent throat in my Dad's Big Boy 44 Mag. Everything else, including the weight, I could live with. That's the same complaint I have with my Ruger 77/44, no throat. I have to keep rounds with all the boolits I use under 1.6"...more like 1.575". I'm looking for something set up for cast and figured since the '73 main market is SASS and the like, that would fit the bill. Since I've never shot or loaded for one, I can only assume.

Mauser48
01-02-2015, 01:21 PM
I would go with the 1873 uberti. Its a great looking gun and very smooth. I have shot the 1866 uberti and its nice but very heavy. If you are planning on shooting hot loads go with the Rossi. The 92 action will take more than the 73. The 73 is a toggle action which was only created to shoot light cowboy loads.

Markbo
01-03-2015, 08:31 PM

There you go. Just get one of each. Then you can give us all a complete comparison report so we dont have to. :D

01-03-2015, 08:47 PM
Henry. Greatest service and it's American made. Great gun, too.

Phillip
01-04-2015, 12:59 AM
I bought a Rossi 4 years ago and have put about 1500+ rounds through it with no issues. For the price, I can not complain. For tuning and mods, look up Steves guns.

searcher4851
01-07-2015, 04:28 PM
The 73 is a toggle action which was only created to shoot light cowboy loads.

The '66 and '73 were designed in the era before smokeless powder. The toggle link action was strong enough to handle the black powder loaded cartridges in use at that time. When loading modern smokeless powders, the loads have to be lighter because of the higher pressures developed with smokeless powders.
As far as actions go, the '92 action is one of the strongest designs.

searcher4851
01-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Congrats bigarm. I have one of the 24" octagons in .357 as well, and it's one of the guns I shoot most. You should have lots of fun with it. You can load anywhere from mousefart 38 spl loads to full blown 357 mag boomers and have plenty of fun. Enjoy.

.30Calibre
01-07-2015, 05:48 PM
Have three Rossi 92's chambered for .38/.357mag; all three get many many many many rounds fired through them yearly and maybe one cleaning per year, if lucky. The most common thing that breaks on them is the firing pin tip, even with 38spl and +P loads, and there are only a handful of places you can get a replacement so it's good to have a spare. The receiver screws on the side shoot loose also and we've lost one or two, so that's something to watch for as well.

All in all they function well in spite of the thousands of rounds a year and absolute minimal maintenance.

.30Calibre
01-07-2015, 06:12 PM
Forgot we also have a huge brass Henry Big Boy in .38/.357mag which gets the same amount of abuse (with zero maintenance) as the Rossi 92's in house. While it looks nice, it's *considerably* heavier than any of the Rossi 92 carbine or rifle length models in the same chambering. Feels like twice as heavy. Walking out with the Rossi feels like totin' a 10/22. Walking out with the Henry Big Boy feels like you accidentally grabbed the Garand in your hand instead. The stroke on the Big Boy lever is different compared to the Rossi 92 as well. I find that I short stroke the Big Boy much easier when trying to 'mag dump'. The Rossi 92 lever stroke is 'slicker' and 'tighter' than the Henry, but that's subjective, i suppose. Loading the Henry mag tube with your hand hovering around the muzzle is kinda inconvenient as well, compared to the side loading gate offered with the Rossi 92.

The Big Boy also does this annoying thing sometimes when you are trying to walk around with the action open and the bolt is rearward. If the trigger is inadvertently pulled allowing the hammer to rotate upwards on the open action, the hammer gets caught and jammed in the recess cut under the bolt which had been a small pain to sometimes un-jam; but I'm digressing. The Big Boy has been abused for as long as the other Rossi's, but nothing has ever broken on it preventing it from functioning. Just a tough, well made heavy rifle (less felt recoil impulse too, as a result of the hefty weight). In general however, the Rossi 92 has the edge ergonomically.

Also, for what it's worth, the spent brass kinda rolls out the top of the Henry and falls to your feet. The Rossi 92's all fling brass two or three lanes away from you.

bigarm
01-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Picked up the Rossi today. Well, actually picked up two rifles today, the Rossi and a used Marlin Cowboy in 44-40. Both look pretty decent. Hope to get to test them tomorrow. I need to get loading up and running for them. I have ordered a mould from Accurate for the .357, still need to order a 44 mould.

hightime
01-08-2015, 05:14 PM
I'll take the Marlin.....Oh boy will that be a dandy. I like the '94 Cowboy and I like 44-40. How sweet is that?

Foto Joe
01-08-2015, 05:38 PM
I just ordered a Lee 429-200RF. I borrowed one from a friend and fell in love with that boolit for 44-40, 44 Special and I'm now loading it in 44 Magnum. It feeds extremely well in the Marlin and doesn't lead when sized to .430 and tamed down 44 Mag loads. I had issues with a 429-200SWC wanting to chamber in one of my SAA's and poor feeding on the Marlin but the RF boolit cured that problem.

bigarm
01-08-2015, 10:43 PM
I put a Skinner barrel mount peep sight on today and ran a few rounds through the Rossi. Right now I think I am going to like this rifle.

KCcactus
01-09-2015, 12:29 AM
The Rossi 92's all fling brass two or three lanes away from you.

A lighter extractor spring will take care of that. I have 20" stainless Rossi 92s in 357 and 44. I tuned up both and used extractor springs from Stevesgunz. The empties are much easier to find now and the action works better.

Markbo
01-09-2015, 10:02 PM
I put a Skinner barrel mount peep sight on today and ran a few rounds through the Rossi. Right now I think I am going to like this rifle.

Happen to have a pic?

9w1911
01-10-2015, 12:03 AM
I have seen some nice Rossi's but I have never bitten, I still buy Marlin and I have one American Winchester.

.30Calibre
01-10-2015, 02:59 AM
A lighter extractor spring will take care of that.
Good to know. The next time I have to tear the bolt down to fix a cracked firing pin I'll have to try and put one of those srpings in from Stevesgunz then.

bigarm
01-10-2015, 12:13 PM
Happen to have a pic?

I will ask my wife to take a picture. She is the computer guru around here.

TXGunNut
01-11-2015, 12:26 AM
Picked up the Rossi today. Well, actually picked up two rifles today, the Rossi and a used Marlin Cowboy in 44-40. Both look pretty decent. Hope to get to test them tomorrow. I need to get loading up and running for them. I have ordered a mould from Accurate for the .357, still need to order a 44 mould.

Congrats, hope they both work out for you. Please keep us posted on your projects.

stillhere
01-25-2015, 08:54 PM
I can only offer my experience with the Henry in 45. Fit and finish is excellent.There are two things I dislike. The buckhorn sight is terrible. The gun is about two pounds too heavy, and it feels like it. On the other hand, it is one strong gun. I spoke with a guy at Henry about it. He said the .45 is built on the same frame as the 44 mag and that both are strong enough to shoot very hot loads (didn't get the definition of "hot", though). I routinely make some very hot 45s and lots of black powder through as well. It never complains and still works perfectly. The action's a little sluggish due I'm sure to black powder residue mixed with lube whatever else. But it works like a champ, and it's accurate...if you can deal with the buckhorn sight.

bigarm
01-25-2015, 10:39 PM
Went in a gun store in Missoula on Friday. They had a Rossi in 45 Colt with a 24" octagon barrel. Since I had just sent money to someone to buy there Smith 25 in 45 colt, I had to buy this as well.

TXGunNut
01-26-2015, 01:42 AM
Went in a gun store in Missoula on Friday. They had a Rossi in 45 Colt with a 24" octagon barrel. Since I had just sent money to someone to buy there Smith 25 in 45 colt, I had to buy this as well.

Good call, would have done the same thing myself. :-) You want that 25-5 to feel welcome, right?