PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

odinohi
12-28-2014, 04:38 PM
I just saw a man and woman dragging a dead deer through the woods that butts up to my backyard. This woods doesn't belong to me as it is owned by our landlord. The people I saw with the deer are also tenants of my landlord. I don't know these people and I really don't care for my landlord, but have been watching these deer for years. No one is allowed to hunt on the property. I haven't done anything yet, but what would you do?

John Allen
12-28-2014, 04:40 PM
That is a tough one if you say something it might come back on you.

firefly1957
12-28-2014, 04:49 PM
I would chat with the property owner.

HATCH
12-28-2014, 04:49 PM
I would just keep my mouth shut. No need to stir trouble and unless deer is out of season no need to start bad blood.

fatnhappy
12-28-2014, 04:55 PM
Was the deer poached?

starmac
12-28-2014, 05:55 PM
^^^^^^ This. The only time so far that I ever got involved was when a neighbor was selling the deer he killed. If it was somebody that was feeding their family, I never gave it another thought.

NavyVet1959
12-28-2014, 06:05 PM
I just saw a man and woman dragging a dead deer through the woods that butts up to my backyard. This woods doesn't belong to me as it is owned by our landlord. The people I saw with the deer are also tenants of my landlord. I don't know these people and I really don't care for my landlord, but have been watching these deer for years. No one is allowed to hunt on the property. I haven't done anything yet, but what would you do?

Personally? I would mind my own business.

There are quite a few deer around my neighborhood and if I was so inclined, I could harvest them. I don't because it's no challenge when a deer will let you walk within 10-20 ft of them and not run away. Besides, they eat the landscaping of my neighbors and it irritates the 'ell out of them (my neighbors) and I find that enjoyable.

southpaw
12-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Get to know them. Maybe they will invite you over for steak.

If they eat them and they aren't killing a ton of them then let them be, assuming they are hard up and not well to do and can afford other food.

Also, could they have killed it on someone else's property and that was the easiest way to get it home?

I'm with HATCH, no need to stir the pot. You don't need them watching your back.

Jerry Jr.

osteodoc08
12-28-2014, 06:10 PM
It sounds like you don't know all the details and assume the worst. Perhaps they indeed did get permission from the property owner. Perhaps they are indeed hungry and it's the only way they will have food/meat.

Feel free to talk to the landowner, but I wouldn't be accusatory.

mold maker
12-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Who do you owe allegiance to? Other tenants, (how well do you know them) or the owner, from who you rent, with the understanding that there is no hunting allowed.
Do you think it's right to allow this to go on while you obey the rules? What if you saw them stealing copper to sell for scrap?
Isn't it like turning your head to illegal aliens, while they thumb their noses at our countries laws?
It's a personal decision you have to make, and live with it.

NavyVet1959
12-28-2014, 06:15 PM
You might ask him where he found his wife. Any woman that will help a man drag a deer through the woods is definitely a "keeper". My wife would consider it an inconvenience if I asked her to drop me off at the river bottom where I hunt and then pick me up afterward.

jmort
12-28-2014, 06:23 PM
If the landlord is a weenie or colossal weenie, as indicated, and you don't know the neighbors, as indicated, then I would sit tight and see how it plays out. The law of unintended consequences need not be initiated at this point in time.

NavyVet1959
12-28-2014, 06:23 PM
What if you saw them stealing copper to sell for scrap?

The difference is that the deer are likely not "owned" by the landowner.

Probably more akin to someone going through your trash can once you put it by the street looking for aluminum cans.

leeggen
12-28-2014, 07:18 PM
Why not just ask the landlord if has given permission to someone to hunt his property? Maybe just chat to him and mention that you saw someone dragging a deer out. Maybe sense you think of the landlord as you do just stay out of it sense it didn't happen on your property.
CD

Janoosh
12-28-2014, 07:39 PM
1- Don't ask the Landlord if.. he.. gave someone else permission to hunt.
Ask him if ..you ..can hunt.
If/When he says No.. again,.. just say "I thought to ask again because I spotted people dragging deer across the property".
That is.. if.. you want to get/be involved.

Be prepared for the inevitable fecal storm.

jcwit
12-28-2014, 07:42 PM
I would inform the landlord/owner anonymously.

And wait to see what happens.

Outpost75
12-28-2014, 07:54 PM
We have this situation nearby our place all the time. I put up a game cam on my side of the fence, got a photo of the pickup and turned it over to the sheriff, asking if these people had permission to hunt? Who do you ask? I'd like to hunt there too. Game warden caught them, charged with illegal hunting, confiscated their vehicle. Seems they are scumbags and well known. Were also charged with destruction of private property and trespassing. Good riddins.

starmac
12-28-2014, 08:16 PM
When I was growing up, even in school we would get licks for being a tattle tale, I reckon things have changed.

jcwit
12-28-2014, 08:19 PM
When I was growing up, even in school we would get licks for being a tattle tale, I reckon things have changed.

So you are against "Crime Stoppers" also?

BrassMagnet
12-28-2014, 08:22 PM

All wonderful totalitarian regimes have something similar. Aren't snitches great?

odinohi
12-28-2014, 08:22 PM
I'm not going to do anything at this point. May just tell him it's not allowed or cool. I like watching my deer. If they are hungry couldn't they just get an Obama meal ticket?

BrassMagnet
12-28-2014, 08:23 PM
All wonderful totalitarian regimes have something similar. Aren't snitches great?

You can even get a cash reward!

jcwit
12-28-2014, 08:27 PM

Are you implying the U.S. is totalitarian?

Mayhap you should get out more, or better yet go try a country with more freedoms. Have at it.

Check back and let us know how it worked out.

starmac
12-28-2014, 08:35 PM

Let's just say I tend to mind my own business. As mentioned before I did have a problem with a guy killing deer to sell, it was handled with no involvement from the law. The guy did get busted later, because of other violations, and may have even thought i had something to do with it.
It was also mentioned the guy could get an Obama meal if needed. I guess that is the new way to look at things, but just not the way I am wired. Some areas deer are plentiful even to the point of problems, some people even get to shoot big numbers under depredation permits, and others can go to jail and lose property for feeding their family with one. I do have a problem with guys shooting them for the heads, and it does happen, but for food, no.

jcwit
12-28-2014, 08:44 PM
So because the guy or the whole family is hungry then it's Ok to also go to the grocery and steal food?

The land owner does not allow hunting, no matter how many deer are on his property, sorta says it all.

Wayne Smith
12-28-2014, 08:53 PM
Is the land posted? In most states if it is not posted it is legal to hunt on it, the deer belong to the state, not the landowner. State hunting licence and within the state hunting laws and nothing is wrong.

We had a couple of Navy enlisted guys move in across the street two years ago. From the hills of Tennessee, I believe. I was outside and saw them shooting squirrels with an air gun. I fully support the hobby but it is illegal inside the city limits. I went over and told them the story of how it became illegal to shoot an air gun in the city limits. They desisted.

lawdog941
12-28-2014, 08:58 PM
If it bothers you too much, you can call 1-800-POACHER. The website says you will remain confidential...let the Game Warden do all the work. If its good or he/she finds something else going on. Deer belong to the state, let them figure it out.

swheeler
12-28-2014, 09:01 PM
You could go tell your neighbor you WANT the backstraps. :bigsmyl2:

dragon813gt
12-28-2014, 09:01 PM
First, was it poaching or a legal harvest? If it's poaching turn them into the state. I don't care of they're hungry or not. I have no time for poachers. No one gets to choose what laws they want to follow. I'm sure we all break ones like speed limits. But poaching is a major crime here and needs to be treated as such.

If it was a legal harvest then I would ask the landowner for permission to hunt. If he says no just ask if it's because there are already people w/ permission or he just doesn't allow it. This question tends not to offend anyone. I also believe in respecting private property so I would inform the landowner of people hunting. I wouldn't give any details. But again, we don't get to choose which laws we follow. And trespass is a crime.

Gator 45/70
12-28-2014, 09:24 PM
In Louisiana we would ask, Where's my half?

starmac
12-28-2014, 09:27 PM
Or if they needed any help. lol Who knows, the poor guy might not have a grinder or any wrapping paper. lol

dragon813gt
12-28-2014, 09:58 PM
In this case there is potential poaching and trespass violations. Explain how either of these can be violated for a greater good. I can understand trespass if you're fleeing from someone trying to kill you. Poaching, I am happy they started confiscating vehicles and firearms used to commit the crime. There is never a need to do this.

starmac
12-28-2014, 10:07 PM
In this case, the op never mentioned poaching. Not a greater good, never say never. I know of at least 2 old gents that supplied meat to most of the old widow women one place I lived when I was growing up. If a guy had turned them in, he would have had some bad luck, and more than likely left the area. People have changed,but never say never.

Plate plinker
12-28-2014, 10:21 PM
Landlords a tool? Stay out of it.

MaryB
12-28-2014, 10:31 PM
The cutoff income for food stamps is just over what I make. I get $1245 a month SSDI and am eligible for $15 in food stamps. So if they have some money but are hurting for food they might not be eligible for food stamps. And of they had a sudden medical emergency etc maybe they are really hurting. I would get the story before accusing them.

I'm not going to do anything at this point. May just tell him it's not allowed or cool. I like watching my deer. If they are hungry couldn't they just get an Obama meal ticket?

MaryB
12-28-2014, 10:36 PM
Maybe the deer was a roadkill they tracked into the woods and are salvaging it. Very legal in most states, and they used the land as a shortcut to drag it home. I have eaten quite a few road kill deer. Someone in front of me hits one and kills it, they don't want the meat so i call the sheriff and get a tag mailed to me. Gut it and drag it home and cut it up.

country gent
12-28-2014, 10:50 PM
In most states the deer are property of the state BUT, a wrtten sighned permmision is requred from the landowner for private property in addition to the hunting license posted or not. Its also only cuteous to ask the land owner to use his property. What it may have been is only speculation what it actual was may never be known. As long as hoofs to horns are used I have no problem with hunting for food, as soon as its wantonly wasted then there is an issue with it. I have found carcasses with head and 1 quarter taken the left laying rotted. That is an issue to me. True hunters or hungry dont waste any useable items. What would be interesting would be to know the full story and what really happened and the reasons. Not speculation and guessing.

Bored1
12-28-2014, 10:51 PM
I would chat with the neighbors and see if they needed help, without mentioning the deer! If they are truly in need of help I would do what I could. Leave the landlord out of it. Last thing they need is no place to live on top of needing food.

dakotashooter2
12-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Are you 100% sure the deer was harvested on the property and not just dragged across the property? Could they have been hunting an adjacent property and just dragged it the shortest route?

Love Life
12-29-2014, 11:39 AM
I'd mind my own business and go back to flipping through the channels.

Outpost75
12-29-2014, 11:52 AM
In this case there is potential poaching and trespass violations. Explain how either of these can be violated for a greater good. I can understand trespass if you're fleeing from someone trying to kill you. Poaching, I am happy they started confiscating vehicles and firearms used to commit the crime. There is never a need to do this.

Amen! Before I moved to my BOL full time, my place was broken into and vandalized. The criminals were ID'ed from fingerprints and were not hard on their luck poor folks, but meth heads and junkies. NO SYMPATHY! Some of these characters still drive by, but seeing an old man working in the yard with a cocked and locked M1911 on his hip encourages them to keep driving.

I am more subtle than my neighbor down the road....

jcwit
12-29-2014, 12:00 PM
I'd mind my own business and go back to flipping through the channels.

So you also are against "Crime Stoppers".

Love Life
12-29-2014, 12:29 PM
So you also are against "Crime Stoppers".

Here we go. The OP asked "What would you do?" and I replied with what I would do. Crimestoppers and any other organization have nothing to do with this. Stop looking for conflict.

garym1a2
12-29-2014, 12:46 PM
If I did not like the landlord I would but out.

richhodg66
12-29-2014, 01:00 PM
Did you see any guns or hunting equipment on their persons while they were doing this? I'm kind of thinking along the lines of it being dead already, road kill or something and them recovering it. I have actually done that a few times, but they require you to call an LEO to come out and put a salvage tag on it, which is kind of an inconvenience and I know a lot of people are ignorant of that law.

Unless I had some pretty good indicators that these folks were the kind of dirtballs who systematically poach, I'd let it go. It's really not like there's a huge shortage of deer in the US and if they are hurting financially, I'd rather see them do that than have their hands out for my tax money like so many do anymore.

quilbilly
12-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Times have changed a lot for me. Years back, if they were poaching, I would have reported it immediately. Then, a couple decades back, my state legalized market hunting deer and elk for certain minorities by promising them they would not enforce poaching laws against them if they reported their kills. Winter before last, I found out from Border Patrol officials that our state decided not to enforce poaching laws against illegal immigrants so the BP wouldn't deport them (I was on site and saw multiple kills of deer and elk at a hidden encampment). A State Game Warden had even been there for the BP raid and informed the feds of the unwritten policy. Poaching is now only illegal here for U.S. citizens of politically incorrect skin colors.
Today I would check on the situation of your neighbors and go from there.

jcwit
12-29-2014, 01:15 PM
How's that saying go? Good men doing nothing??????????????????????

montana_charlie
12-29-2014, 01:43 PM
Here we go.
He pestered people with accusations, but nobody bit ... until you.
Now he wants more of your attention.

jcwit
12-29-2014, 01:58 PM
No I just have the thinking that if the land owner does not want hunting on his land he should be informed, simple as that.

In my neighborhood we all look out for one another, if kids are trespassing across another's yard or garden they are reported, as well they should be. This holds true whether it be me doing the reporting or another neighbor.

The same applies here as well. IMO

Funny, In my day we were brought up to stay off another's property unless permission was granted, that goes for hunting as well.

mold maker
12-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Let's just all turn our heads and ignore both the laws and the lawbreakers. After all it's none of our biz.
There might be all kinds of reasons, and when it's you that's wronged, we'll all just look the other way again.

dtknowles
12-29-2014, 02:40 PM
No I just have the thinking that if the land owner does not want hunting on his land he should be informed, simple as that.

In my neighborhood we all look out for one another, if kids are trespassing across another's yard or garden they are reported, as well they should be. This holds true whether it be me doing the reporting or another neighbor.

The same applies here as well. IMO

Funny, In my day we were brought up to stay off another's property unless permission was granted, that goes for hunting as well.

When I was a kid we played in everyone's yard, never ask permission only one guy got huffy but he was a known crank and we mostly stayed away from his yard. We swam at a beach on a vacant lot on the lake or from a ledge on a wooded shore. Kids walked thru our yard going to and from high school because it was a shorter walk. Nobody hurt anything. I hunted and fished unposted land without even knowing who owned it and I guess it was stealing but I dug old bottles and cans from the trash piles on the property lines of old abandoned homesteads.

Do you know if the neighbors were informed that there was to be no hunting on the land? Is it in your lease agreement or was it just verbal from the landlord and did he tell you because you asked or was it spontaneous? Did you hear any shots that might have been the shots that got the deer? Was it in season? I have not heard anything yet that would cause me to think you should contact the Landlord or the Game Warden. Not that you can't report what you saw to either, I just don't see that you have any obligation to since it isn't clear that anything improper was done. Reporting suspicious activity vs. being a busybody is a fine line.

Tim

Blacksmith
12-29-2014, 10:26 PM
If you think you witnessed a law being broken then it is your civic duty to report it. If you don't like the law or think there should be exceptions to the law then work to make those changes.

We get upset when the president, and congress, and corporations and others choose which laws to ignore and which to enforce. If you choose which laws to overlook and which to report you are no better than they are.

You suspect a deer was poached then report it to the game warden and let them sort it out, it is their job. If it was legal no harm, if they are needy maybe they will get them help they need, if they are law breakers they hurt all hunters and state conservation efforts and deserve what they get.

hithard
12-29-2014, 10:39 PM
your either part of the solution, or your part of the problem......

In this case we don't know enough that it's either right or wrong..because of the Sgt. Schultz syndrome.

Pinsnscrews
12-30-2014, 12:40 AM
I was in his same spot a few years back.

1) I was home all day and did not hear a shot
2) the neighbors did not have a gun with them
3) the neighbors hit the deer with their car and totaled their car. It was an accident, and using the back lot for the landowner's orchard was the shortest distance from where they hit the deer to their house in the plex.
4) the neighbors told the landowner of what happened and we all had a BBQ...

NavyVet1959
12-30-2014, 03:02 AM
If you think you witnessed a law being broken then it is your civic duty to report it. If you don't like the law or think there should be exceptions to the law then work to make those changes.

I notice you do not have an "Oath Keeper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_Keepers)" tag on your ID. As a general principle, just because something is the "the law" doesn't make it right. Some of us do not have a problem with people refusing to obey a "law" that they feel if morally wrong. If you were on a jury in a location that banned magazines of greater than 10 round capacity and a person was charged with violating that, would you vote to convict? I'm not saying that this is the same thing, but when a person makes blanket statements like that, it brings into question what they really believe.

starmac
12-30-2014, 03:17 AM
IF everybody steadfastly complied with every law, that feller would be in a heap of trouble for killing the queens deer. I doubt if anybody complies with every law, we all basically choose which ones to comply with, the govt and law enforcement choose which ones to enforce. It is what it is.

Lead Fred
12-30-2014, 04:03 AM
I would hey said: "Hey Nab, got a deer steak or two"?

"The best place to store your rice, is in your neighbors stomach"
General Tu

freebullet
12-30-2014, 04:14 AM
It sucks big time to be falsely accused of something by somebody who knows nothing of your situation.

I'd go talk to them or butt out. Calling the law when you don't know if it's been broken is a male genitalia move.

It's like calling the cops because you heard a bump in the night. You don't know what happened and someone's gotta let the cops in. You might find that something tipped over or that they had permission and a permit.

joesig
12-30-2014, 07:36 AM
I just saw a man and woman dragging a dead deer through the woods that butts up to my backyard. This woods doesn't belong to me as it is owned by our landlord. The people I saw with the deer are also tenants of my landlord. I don't know these people and I really don't care for my landlord, but have been watching these deer for years. No one (that you are aware of) is allowed to hunt on the property. I haven't done anything yet, but what would you do?
I understand how much you admire the deer. I love to see them in my back yard too.

That said, I see you live in a three deer county:

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting-trapping-and-shooting-sports/hunting-trapping-regulations/deer-hunting-regulations

That tells me there is a healthy if not an abundant deer population there. I am pretty sure the taking of this deer will not reduce your enjoyment of seeing plenty of others.

Seeing as how there seems to be a shortage of facts, seems to me if you really wanted to jump into the fray, first thing to do is gather more facts. Be careful though. You know what they say about Karma.

starmac
12-30-2014, 01:55 PM
Some folks like to see them smothered in gravy, right next to the taters and beans.

jsizemore
12-30-2014, 02:07 PM
Not your deer, not your property, not your business. Could be the folks need to eat. Maybe someday you'll need to eat. In a county just north of me deer are subject to being shot 24hours a day, 365days a year. Folks need to feed their family and maybe one day their neighbor may need to too. I can't find fault with folks taking care of their own.

jonas302
12-30-2014, 02:31 PM
An interesting topic indeed only the OP knows enough of the situation to decide what to do there is no hard cut answer For instance if the property was posted I would feel the bring it up with the landowner who knows maybe they got permission it would be a simple thing to find out whether or not they are hungry doesn't really play into it because in my area there is a ton of state land and plenty of private land that can be hunted I mean you can't steal my car to pay your kids doctor bills right? Of course we are not there to know the circumstances I get along well with my landlord and would just ask if they have permission Also it might have been easy to tell they hunted the deer wearing blaze orange carrying a rifle ect

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-30-2014, 02:43 PM
IF everybody steadfastly complied with every law, that feller would be in a heap of trouble for killing the queens deer. I doubt if anybody complies with every law, we all basically choose which ones to comply with, the govt and law enforcement choose which ones to enforce. It is what it is.

Harvey Silverglate (Boston civil-liberties lawyer and author) says the average US Citizen unwittingly commits three felonies a day (in his book), because of vague laws and new technology that adds its own complexity, making innocent activity potentially criminal.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704471504574438900830760842

Blacksmith
12-30-2014, 04:44 PM
I notice you do not have an "Oath Keeper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_Keepers)" tag on your ID. As a general principle, just because something is the "the law" doesn't make it right. Some of us do not have a problem with people refusing to obey a "law" that they feel if morally wrong. If you were on a jury in a location that banned magazines of greater than 10 round capacity and a person was charged with violating that, would you vote to convict? I'm not saying that this is the same thing, but when a person makes blanket statements like that, it brings into question what they really believe.

I never said all laws were right! We are a nation of laws either you choose to follow them or you don't but you have to live with your choices and when more people ignore the law than follow it we will be no better than the worst countries in the third world.

In my state they recently banned transfers of magazines over 10 rounds even though I worked hard to prevent the law from being passed. I will continue my efforts to get this bad law and others repealed. However in the mean time even though I oppose this law and fought against it I will abide by it until it is repealed or I move to a state that follows the Constitution. If I am on a jury my decision will depend on the facts of the case and I will always consider the use of jury nullification as a tool to change a bad law.

Even if you consider a law morally wrong and choose to disobey it on principle you should be willing to suffer the consequences of your actions. If someone feels that it is wrong for you to have things that they don't and they take those things from you should they go unpunished?

starmac
12-30-2014, 05:49 PM
So far the OP never said he broke any laws, maybe they were, but maybe not either, none of us know.

dtknowles
12-30-2014, 09:08 PM
If I see someone J walking, I don't call the cops. If I see someone breaking into a house I would call the cops. If I see someone throw a piece of trash out the window of their car, I don't call the cops but if I see someone dumping a bunch of trash in a vacant lot I would call the cops. I would not even bother to warn someone who was j-walking but I would, given a chance, I would warn someone who throws a piece of trash out their car window.

Tim

NavyVet1959
12-31-2014, 12:03 AM
If I see someone J walking, I don't call the cops. If I see someone breaking into a house I would call the cops. If I see someone throw a piece of trash out the window of their car, I don't call the cops but if I see someone dumping a bunch of trash in a vacant lot I would call the cops. I would not even bother to warn someone who was j-walking but I would, given a chance, I would warn someone who throws a piece of trash out their car window.

J-walking laws do not prevent cars from hitting you, they allow you to be hit by cars comong from both streets at an intersection. If you J-walk, cars are only coming from one street as you try to cross the road. I've found it safer to cross in the mid-block part of a downtown block than to cross at the intersections.

MaryB
12-31-2014, 01:25 AM
Until the OP comes back with more to the story this is all a bunch of guesses. And if someone poaches to fill their families belly I would turn a blind eye, if they poached just because they like deer meat and they didn't want to pay for beef I would be on the phone to the game warden in seconds. We do not know...

troyboy
12-31-2014, 01:00 PM
Mind your own business.

Multigunner
12-31-2014, 01:53 PM
A friendly warning is the best way to go about such things.
Just let the neighbor know that the landlord has told you that he doesn't want deer killed on his property and let it go at that.

Like as not its more a matter of safety for the others who live near that parcel of land. Bullets carry quite a distance. I'm not so sure that I'd want people I don't know firing off high powered rifles only a few hundred yards from my home unless it was a properly set up range with a high berm.
Bow hunting would be a different story , arrows that miss a deer in a near by wooded area aren't as likely to come through your dining room wall while you are at the breakfast table.