PDA

View Full Version : Making my own fineshot. . .

Dick Dastardly
09-25-2005, 02:06 PM
Does anybody else make their own fineshot. I've got an old Littleton shot maker with two spiggots. Makes about 50 pounds of shot in a good afternoon. I use the shot for the trap league and my Cowboy Action shooting. Works great with WW metal.

DD-DLoS

lar45
09-25-2005, 02:15 PM
How high do you have to drop from?
do you put soap in the water to reduce the surface tension?

Dick Dastardly
09-25-2005, 05:07 PM
This thing is wierd. The shot drops only a few inches into diesel fuel or kerosene. The results are nice round shot, but I have to clean off the petrolium distillates before I put graphite on the shot.

I've tried dropping into water, but the results were disappointing. Kerosene seems to work best. Jet A ain't bad either.

DD-DLoS

waksupi
09-25-2005, 05:28 PM
I have some friends that have a shot maker. the production ramp is about three feet wide, and they can make a bunch of shot in a weekend. They use moose milk to drop the shot into.

Dick Dastardly
09-25-2005, 09:39 PM
That might work. The water would handle the heat and the Ballistol would provide the luberication. Also, cleanup would be very easy.

Thanks,

DD-DLoS

RugerFan
09-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Dick,
Please describe your graphite application.

Dick Dastardly
09-26-2005, 01:34 PM
After I get the shot cleaned up, I shake it with some powdered graphite in a shot bag. Not sophisticated, but it works and the shot doesn't clump up either. Runs thru the Mec Grabber great too.

DD-DLoS

JeffinNZ
09-27-2005, 08:10 PM
What ratio of cutting oil to water is recommended for the solution?

waksupi
09-27-2005, 10:50 PM
Jeff, I'd have to ask the next time I see one of the guys. I imagine it was fairly diluted, as you are only reducing the surface tension. I seem to recall it looked fairly well thinned out.