PDA

View Full Version : This is what happens when you use the wrong powder in a muzzle loader.

marvelshooter
12-28-2014, 10:43 AM
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10461955_1510799485862628_1942503602171680627_n.jp g?oh=b9251dcf8ef2f8503b3f9a71599e5732&oe=54FFE4CD
This is what happened when an Indiana man ran out of black powder and decided to cut open a few shotgun shells and use the powder in his muzzle loader. It cost him two fingers. The picture is from the Indiana DNR District 7 facebook page. EDIT: I did not realize there was another thread about this accident. Thanks for not jumping all over me for posting a "dupe" like happens on some other forums.

Tar Heel
12-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Some folks just have to learn the hard way. He won't ever forget that lesson.

pietro
12-28-2014, 01:19 PM

Ignorance is bliss.............. :D

obssd1958
12-28-2014, 01:50 PM

Ignorance is bliss.............. :D

Briefly...........

starmac
12-28-2014, 07:02 PM
There is a long thread here on it, with some interesting opinions.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?261970-Smokeless-in-a-BP-rifle-Big-Kaboom

zuke
12-28-2014, 09:37 PM
And he's allowed to reproduce.......

Omnivore
12-30-2014, 02:40 AM
How many times have people been warned about using smokeless in a BP gun? The warnings are all over the gun itself I bet, and they're certainly in the owner's manual. We need a close up photo of the blown up gun, showing the big, capital letters; "BLACK POWDER ONLY!" And "READ OWNER'S MANUAL BEFORE USING. MANUAL AVAILABLE FOR FREE BY WRITING..."

If I may get into cultural/civics issues for a bit; there is so much hogwash written and spoken, and offered up as "expert" opinion or conclusion, one is often tempted to disregard all the warnings. Sometimes I think that must be the goal-- take all credibility away from everyone, especially those who speak the truth.

Salt is bad for you, you need salt. Fat in your diet is terrible, your kids will grow up with brain deficiencies of they don't get enough fat. Carbs are good, carbs will kill you. Alcohol will kill you, wine is good for you. The Earth is going into a new ice age due to capitalism, the Earth is over-heating due to capitalism. I've heard all those things, and much, much more, and if you don't agree with each and every one of them, you should be put in jail as a "denier". Thus everything you read or hear is hogwash, unless you're very, very careful about what you listen to, and the reasoning, principles (if any) and agendas behind it. When it come to firearms, Hoo boy is there a lot of agenda-driven horse feces. Lawyers have to make money, and lawyers are now, essentially, designing products, which of course must have extensive "readme" files of warnings engraved into them. I can easily see people intentionally disregarding all that gibberish as just more of the same tripe they've been hammered with all their lives. Thus the truth has been discredited.

RugerFan
12-30-2014, 02:58 AM
Briefly...........

HA yup!

Motor
12-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Yes very bad move and he picked the worse type of powder to boot. Definatly had no clue.

Marc Adamchek
01-03-2015, 03:34 AM
Really horrible that he lost 2 fingers, that shouldn't happen to anyone. But I can't resist saying that a destroyed inline "muzzleloader" is no loss. Stay traditional, from the gun to the powder! OK, I am bracing myself for all the hate mail that will come my way from inline users.

Whiterabbit
01-03-2015, 03:47 AM
God Bless that they did not put the fingers in there for that picture.

oldred
01-03-2015, 06:55 AM
Really horrible that he lost 2 fingers, that shouldn't happen to anyone. But I can't resist saying that a destroyed inline "muzzleloader" is no loss. Stay traditional, from the gun to the powder! OK, I am bracing myself for all the hate mail that will come my way from inline users.

No hate mail from me as I detest inlines BUT that is of course a matter of taste and a lot of the inline owners may feel the same way about my Hawkin(s) but that's the way it should be! Lot's of truth to the old saying "Different strokes for different folks"!

Blackdog
01-03-2015, 08:27 PM
That is not gonna buff out.

Whiterabbit
01-03-2015, 08:40 PM
nah, some wood glue and a new barrel, she'll be right as rain. The real trick is holding the glue bottle with only three fingers.

starmac
01-04-2015, 03:43 AM

Maybe those two fingers will be a constant reminder, that he might hurt someone if he continues to play with guns.

Linstrum
01-04-2015, 04:17 AM
What powder IS NOT BLACK? I know, Bullseye, one of the most dangerous as far as blowing up muzzle loaders, is tan colored. A picture is worth a thousand words! - To get around the volumes of legalese warnings you have to read, they need to print a photo of a blown up gun with the warning "use black powder only or this may happen to YOU!". I have seen some warnings saying "Most gunpowders are black colored including black powder, make sure of your powder!"

rl 1,227

georgerkahn
01-04-2015, 09:29 AM
As a NYS DEC Hunter Safety instructor, I've passed around in my classes Ram-Rods which were shot (oops) incredible distances at range, and given to me for this educational purpose. I have also projected a photo of an acquaintance who is sans thumb and forefinger after firing a Weatherby with a presumed ice and or snow filled barrel. I'm thinking of printing this image (thank you for posting it!), and adding it to my educational resources. I do feel badly for the now 8-fingered gent -- to his way of thinking at the time, I'd guess he was being both clever and resourceful. A pity he had to learn he wasn't -- a lesson at a most costly price to him.
BEST..
georgrkahn

oldred
01-04-2015, 11:17 AM
I have also projected a photo of an acquaintance who is sans thumb and forefinger after firing a Weatherby with a presumed ice and or snow filled barrel.georgrkahn

First off I am NOT trying to say that's not true, in fact my post is more of a question than anything else.

Did any of you guys see that Mythbuster's show (it's only TV, I know!) where they addressed the ice/snow plugged barrel? They took a 30-06 and plugged the barrel by various means trying to get it to burst but it was not until they actually WELDED the muzzle closed did the get a separation and then (IIRC, but to be honest I'm not sure about this part) it blew off just behind the weld! There is no question about what happens if a rifle is fired with a bullet lodged in the barrel but based on the results those guys produced I have to wonder even then about where the barrel would fail if the bullet was lodged at the muzzle? Again I am not disagreeing and I certainly would not want to fire an obstructed barrel, not even with snow, but after seeing that I have to wonder if the dangers of minor barrel obstructions are not a bit "overblown" (pun intended :-P ).

dondiego
01-04-2015, 11:28 AM
Shotgun barrels will definitely peel like a banana when plugged with snow. Saw an acquaintance do it before I could stop him.

Petrol & Powder
01-04-2015, 11:57 AM

Normally I'm in favor of allowing Darwinism to function without any interference. The flaw with relying on Darwinism is you must remove them from the gene pool before they reproduce.

oldred
01-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Shotgun barrels will definitely peel like a banana when plugged with snow. Saw an acquaintance do it before I could stop him.

I know a certain 870 Remington that happened to! I didn't see it happen but my uncle did it back in the 70's and I did eventually get to see the gun, in this case it mostly blew off the last few inches of the barrel.

dtknowles
01-04-2015, 07:00 PM
I split the barrel on an Ithaca 20 gauge. It was probably snow. I was walking in the woods and there was a lot of snow on the ground.

Tim

rmark
01-09-2015, 10:14 PM
My uncle bored out the charge bar on his MEC 12ga reloader for a heavier duck load. Eventually cracked the receiver on his Browning A5, welded it up and shot it until it cracked again. Got a lot of ducks but I think he just beat the poor gun to death.

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-13-2015, 01:36 AM
the difference between genius and stupidity?

Genius has limits...

heelerau
01-13-2015, 03:11 AM
Normally I'm in favor of allowing Darwinism to function without any interference. The flaw with relying on Darwinism is you must remove them from the gene pool before they reproduce.
Thank god it was just an inline, the gods do not approve of them apparently !! My late young brother put a charge of Nobels' No 69 smokeless shotgun powder down my Pat 42 smoothbore, he touched it off with a length of string from the outside dunny, at the time I was pretty pissed and sorry he was not holding it. Not that I hold a grudge, at the age of 53 !!

Whiterabbit
01-13-2015, 03:32 AM
You are making it so hard not to ask if he is your late brother because of an accident. (I hope you take that as the light hearted comment it is, as it might sound rather rude and insensitive under most circumstances)

heelerau
01-13-2015, 04:12 AM
WhiteRabbit, the Gods don't like motorcycles as well as inlines , I am sure of it !! He was killed at the age of 17 on his motor bike, he was a risk taker and paid the price for his careless riding.
I figure my flip comment re inlines was rude and insensitive !! My guess the bloke thought it was a modern britch loading cartridge mangler ( they will never catch on !) and figured smokeless was the correct propellant ! 'cause they shore don't look like a muzzle loader. I gather they were developed to get around some of your hunting regulations.
All the same, good it has been posted so the less informed are made to be a bit cautious and seek advice before using any propellant.
Please no one was killed, though loosing fingers is a harsh lesson.

Sharpsman
02-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Some folks have to get on their knees and stick their noses into a cow patty to finally believe what they've been told about schitt stinking!!

RBak
02-16-2016, 08:57 PM
Some folks have to get on their knees and stick their noses into a cow patty to finally believe what they've been told about schitt stinking!!

There's tremendous wisdom in that short statement!

Russ

reivertom
02-17-2016, 03:11 AM
I'd say the accident ruined half of his sex life. :^)

NavyVet1959
02-17-2016, 05:45 AM
"Could" it have worked? Sure, if he had used the proper experimental technique...

Did he use the proper experimental technique? Obviously not...

bob208
02-17-2016, 08:56 AM
I will not blame it on any one thing but rather a combination. first is human nature. the hold my beer and watch this. second not reading the instructions and warnings. down the list is inlines. after all some you can use smokeless in. but not all. also substitute powders after all he did sub. for black. there is also a lot of misinformation on the net.