PDA

View Full Version : Great weekend for lead in the 03A3

Patrick L
09-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Wow ! Had a great weekend. It was our monthly highpower weekend, and the wife said I could go and play BOTH days.

We shoot a 60 rd reduced course. All shooting is at 100 yds. 10 rds slow offhand, then 10 sitting rapid on an SR1. Then two 10 rd strings of rapid prone on an SR21, then 20 rds slowfire prone on an MR 31. Total 60 rds, 600 pts. I (almost, shot a 490 in June) always break 500, typically in the 5teens. I'm happy with that. On really great days I occaisionally do better, but anything more is gravy the way I see it.

Well, I shot a 522 - 5x yesterday, and a 534 - 3x today. I can't remember all my individual targets, but today's SR21 was a 187 (can't remember the X count.) Wow ! I wish they were all like this.

I shoot an 03A3, moderately tuned up, fitted with Lyman target sights. Load is 18 gr 2400, Saeco 301 (196 gr TC) GC sized .310 and lubed with Tamarack lube. I use Rem brass, neck sized only, and CCI 200 LR primers. I don't use fillers, but the cases have slightly enlarged flashholes and are for this load ONLY. I see no loss of accuracy in the rapid fire stages due to powder orientation. Years ago I did use a little dacron because I worried about that, but as I said I see no difference and now I worry more about chamber ringing, so I stopped using the filler.