PDA

View Full Version : Flats On My Balls

joeb33050
02-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Some time back there were posts here about tumbling etc. cast M/L balls to get the sprue thing blended into the ball so there is no need to orient the ball-sprue up-when loading.
I got permission to put this info in the book, went to other forums with it, got positive feedback. I've been rolling balls in a can, leave the can on the floor of the car and just drive, also shaking them up.
What I get is balls with flats on them where the sprue thing was. So, I still have to orient the balls when loading-sprue up.
So, this ain't such a good idea, unless I'm doing something wrong.
My LEE .490" round ball mold is made such that it cuts off part of the ball with the sprue plate, rather than leaving a lump of lead on the ball. So it doesn't cast the whole ball to start with.
Is this the rule for LEE round ball molds?
joe b.

02-19-2008, 12:07 PM
I think you are just going to be stuck with a certain amount of mould marks from cast RB's, to include the sprue. Cast versus swaged. If you need a ball without a sprue cut, it'll have to be swaged.

Rattus58
02-19-2008, 03:31 PM
It aint gonna make much of a difference anyways.... sprue up, down, sideways makes very little difference vs swaged balls according to them Bevel Bros in Muzzleblasts..

Aloha... Tom :cool:

jim4065
02-19-2008, 08:21 PM
The Lee round ball molds advertise the "Tangential Cut-Off" which eliminates the "nib" but also creates a flat on the ball. You're going to have to use a conventional mold - like TC or Lyman - if you want that "roll the balls" trick to work. I was never able to get them really round unless I used a file to remove some excess lead. Also never was a good enough shot to be sure I could tell the difference. :roll:

joeb33050
02-21-2008, 09:24 AM
The Lee round ball molds advertise the "Tangential Cut-Off" which eliminates the "nib" but also creates a flat on the ball. You're going to have to use a conventional mold - like TC or Lyman - if you want that "roll the balls" trick to work. I was never able to get them really round unless I used a file to remove some excess lead. Also never was a good enough shot to be sure I could tell the difference. :roll:

Thanks, that explains it.
joe b.