PDA

View Full Version : Titegroup or Power Pistol?

hickfu
12-27-2014, 03:18 PM
Im going to be loading for my 45acp and 9mm (I have been loading for rifle and 44 Mag for a long time but now I am going to load pistols)

I have Titegroup and Power Pistol powders,
I will be using the Lee 356-120-TC for the 9mm with Winchester SPP's, mixed cases
For the 45ACP I will be using the Lee 452-200-RF and the 452-230-TC with Winchester LPP's, mixed cases

I have a lot of both powders, What do you guys like in your handguns?
both are Springfield XD's 45 and 9mm

Thanks for any advice.

35remington
12-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Two different powders with different uses.

Titegroup is the choice when low charge weight moderate to standard velocity loads are needed.

I see Power Pistol as more of a high performance powder that has the blast and flash to go with it. Titegroup for everyday shooting, Power Pistol for other reasons. Economics dictates Titegroup, but the difference in cost per shot isn't that great.

fredj338
12-27-2014, 04:24 PM
TG & lead bullets is like oil & water IMO. TG burns too hot lots of smoke often with leading. Pp would be my choice of the two.

hickfu
12-27-2014, 04:32 PM
What is a good source for load data for cast boolits? I have read the the new Lyman cast bullet handbook is not all that good...
I just want to find good data for the 3 molds listed above using the 2 powders listed and maybe a few others I have laying around.
I like books that I can pass along to my son when I am no longer around.

35Remington, I am looking for moderate to standard loads.. I see no reason for very light loads in my handguns (all my kids are grown so they can shoot full loads) thanks for the info..

Fred, would titegroup be good if I powder coated the lead boolits?

MtGun44
12-27-2014, 05:13 PM
35 Rem nails it exactly. Titegroup for normal loads in either, low charge weights and
low cost. PP is more like Unique, high end loads for 9mm and .45.

Bill

tomme boy
12-27-2014, 07:06 PM
TG is very peaky. Seems to me to have more recoil for the speed. If that makes sense.

ravelode
12-27-2014, 07:13 PM
I use Titegroup in both, uses less powder and works fine for standard loads. For high performance Power pistol is great it's the canister version of Bullseye 84 commercial powder which is used in 60%+ of all factory pistol ammo (from what I've read in Handloader).

hickfu
12-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Well then.. That makes sence, I have 8# of each so I will make up some normal loads with the Titegroup (powder coated and non PC'd) to see how they do. When I get accuracy I will stop there. Then I will move on to the Power Pistol and make up some higher end loads for when I am out in the back woods. I will go through the Titegroup a lot faster then the PP I guess... but I have enough for quite a bit of reloads.

Thanks guys, Now I just got to figure out where to start loads for all 3 boolits I have with the 2 powders..

Doc

tazman
12-27-2014, 09:28 PM
This will get you started with Titegroup
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol
This will give you data with power pistol
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeList.aspx?gtypeid=1

hickfu
12-27-2014, 10:41 PM
I have done this before but a computer crash too out most of my info a while back (of course I didnt have a printer either to have a backup copy)
my OAL works out to between 1.065 and 1.078 to feed reliably in my XD9 so Im looking at between 3.2 to 3.8gr of Titegroup and 5.0 to 5.6 of Power Pistol...

Do you guys work up in .1gr or do you go with .2?
Im thinking of starting with 10 each and going with .2gr jumps, that way I only have 4 groups (and if 1 is promising then I can go up or down .1gr)

Loading for my rifles is so much easier!

Doc

tazman
12-28-2014, 12:02 AM
The jump depends a lot on how big the window is. If the window is only half a grain wide, I go up in .1 increments. If it is wider, I go up in .2.
There are some powder/boolit combinations where the min and max are only .4 grains apart.

hickfu
12-28-2014, 12:15 AM
Thanks Tazman, I have been reloading for a while but its always been rifle so I am used to a big range between min and max, Even my 44 Mag are easier then these little powder increases for the 9mm.

I get a bit worried when working with a charge so small that just a few tenths of a grain can make a huge difference and can be the difference between a good load and blowing up my hand....

I will start low and work up in .1gr increments since its just barely over half a grain on both.... I will probably stop before I reach max
Im in this for fun.. not to hurt myself
I greatly appreciate everyone's replies and advice...

Doc

tazman
12-28-2014, 01:49 PM
I am told 9mm can be very finicky. This has NOT been my experience. I may just be lucky in this.
My 9mm pistols will shoot almost anything except semi wadcutters.
They show preferences for certain boolit/powder combinations but will normally shoot most bullets into a 3-4 inch group at 10 yards. The best are around 2 inches at 10 yards.

bobthenailer
12-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Tightgroup powder is my go to powder in all revolver rounds up to 1,100 fps and also 45 acp, both with cast bullets, I have better results in 9mm and 38 super with Power pistol it's a standout with cast boolets.

fredj338
12-29-2014, 03:33 PM
I have done this before but a computer crash too out most of my info a while back (of course I didnt have a printer either to have a backup copy)
my OAL works out to between 1.065 and 1.078 to feed reliably in my XD9 so Im looking at between 3.2 to 3.8gr of Titegroup and 5.0 to 5.6 of Power Pistol...

Do you guys work up in .1gr or do you go with .2?
Im thinking of starting with 10 each and going with .2gr jumps, that way I only have 4 groups (and if 1 is promising then I can go up or down .1gr)

Loading for my rifles is so much easier!

Doc
Small volume cases & uberfast powders, you are best doing 1/10gr increments. Things change very quickly in 9mm & 40, especially with heavier bullets.