PDA

View Full Version : The secret to concealed cross draw carry

dilly
12-25-2014, 01:07 PM
Gain 30 pounds and it hides a lot easier! :)
It has been a while since I tried cross draw.

Merry Christmas everybody.

mdi
12-25-2014, 03:23 PM
My Pappy said "every good tool deserves a shed over it"... Referring, of course to a sizable beer belly.:bigsmyl2:

JWFilips
12-25-2014, 03:44 PM
Sometimes "inside Waist Band" Holsters just don't work!....especially if you need to probe around for your piece

Down South
12-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Cross Draw is good for me.

luky-dude
12-25-2014, 11:30 PM
Me to

tazman
12-25-2014, 11:43 PM
My only problem with cross draw is I am not sure my arms are long enough to reach around my belly anymore. They seem to have gotten shorter this last 25lbs or so.

62chevy
12-25-2014, 11:44 PM

Merry Christmas everybody.

LOL I should have a great cross draw then.

Merry Christmas dilly.

waksupi
12-26-2014, 02:35 AM
Only problem I have with cross draw is with my 1911 type pistols. For some reason, the safety becomes disengaged when the gun is drawn. Need to figure out the holster design problem with that.

dudel
12-26-2014, 08:26 AM

Does wonders for retention as well :bigsmyl2:

hamholfarm
12-26-2014, 09:21 AM
Brands/Models I could look at for cross-draw for a 3" 1911?

I haven't tried a cross-draw yet, but it might be a good solution as I have problems with IWB's and OWB's because I'm right handed and have limited ability to twist/stretch to the right due to back issues. This in addition to some "shackage" makes it difficult to grasp/draw.

"shackage" referring to my brother's description of his "shed" as "I've got a shrimp shack", that is a shack above his little shrimp - ha ha.

scattershot
12-26-2014, 12:35 PM
Yeah, it helps, but it makes it harder to reach the pistol.:bigsmyl2:

waksupi
12-26-2014, 12:48 PM
If you are too big, it's like hugging a fat gal. You need to reach and chalk, to see how far you have gotten around yourself.

quilbilly
12-26-2014, 04:26 PM
I got accustomed to cross draw 50+ years ago because the grip kept tangling my line while flycasting and the revolver was on the other side.

Down South
12-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Only problem I have with cross draw is with my 1911 type pistols. For some reason, the safety becomes disengaged when the gun is drawn. Need to figure out the holster design problem with that.
I use the Galco Miami Classic and it works well.
http://www.galcogunleather.com/miami-classic-shoulder-system_8_2_1211.html
I've got a ******* that works well too but I like the classic better.
http://www.galcogunleather.com/*******-rig-shoulder-system_8_2_1167.html

square butte
12-26-2014, 05:28 PM
Thanks Hoagie - Huggin and Chalkin

sagamore-one
12-26-2014, 05:43 PM
I prefer the BN 55 holster from Milt Sparks . It was designed by Bruce Nelson and is available in straight drop, which I prefer, and a cant version. Straight drop is exactly what it sounds like, zero cant , making it useful and comfortable as a cross draw or as a strong side holster. I have one for full size 1911, Glock 32, Star Firestar, Sig P220, and Sig P245. On "special" occasions I wear a BN 55 Cross draw and a Summer Special . The Summer Special is another Bruce Nelson design.

Blackwater
12-26-2014, 08:18 PM
FWIW, most IWB holsters are made to be cheap, NOT for effective use. One exception is the Andrews Leather Co.'s "McDaniel" IWB holster. I have one for my .45's, and it was a real revelation about how good, effective and comfortable an IWB can actually be. It also in the same place where I usually carry a gun, and that keeps my "prior learning" relevant. That "prior learning" is about the only advantage old age lets us keep, so I guess you could say I really like that holster. I wouldn't give a penny for most of the IWB holsters made. Most make the butt of the grip stick out and print when carrying concealed - a BIG no-no in my book. The McDaniel carries the gun just high enough, and just low enough, and at a good tilt angle, so it comes out reliably with no fuss or bother, and it tucks the butt in very nicely, but not overly so (which would make it less accessible). Holsters are always a compromise, but I just can't warm up to a method of carrying that makes the gun as accessible to a perp as it is to me, and crossdraw does that. FWIW.