PDA

View Full Version : noob with left overs from smelting

donttellthewife
02-18-2008, 11:41 AM
My first step at casting was to aquire the lead, of which I now have about 140lbs of WW and 95lbs of recovered range lead, all smelted into 2lbs "cupcakes".

The clips from the WW went to the scrap haulers but the left overs from smelting the range lead is about 50lbs of dirt ,rocks,copper jackets and a little lead, mostly dirt.

Being that it is contaminated what do I do with it now. What have you done with the spoilings from your smelting proccess.

Wanting to do the right thing,
Thanks, Ron

Nueces
02-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Welcome, Ron

I had a similar problem at one time. There was a rural shooting range nearby and I asked the owner if I could stir my 'dirt' into one of his berms. He had no objection, so that's what I did. Hope you have the same luck.

Mark

pumpguy
02-18-2008, 12:10 PM
If you want to take the time to separate the copper jackets, they do have some value at the scrap dealers. The rest of it is just trash. Put it in the can and let it go to the dump.

OeldeWolf
02-19-2008, 01:53 AM
I have contacted several scrap metal dealers/companies in my area. They all say that any possibility of lead contamination on the jackets has the recyclers going down in fits. Something to do with their recycling process vs the mines' refining processes. So I am having to take all my "leftovers" to the local "domestic hazardous waste disposal facility."

OeldeWolf

xr650
02-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Mr. Wolf probably has the correct answer.
I would throw the unsellable in the trash.

NVcurmudgeon
02-20-2008, 12:50 AM
Now that I am using Pat Marlin's World Famous California Flake Flux, I save up the leftovers until I have a gallon or so and reflux it. There will be a lot of good metal which becomes more ingots. Any bullet jackets go into my copper for sale box. The rest gets dumped. In this county the "recycling" truck only wants the high-value stuff; cans, bottles and newspapers.