PDA

View Full Version : Silverado water pump

silverado
12-21-2014, 11:06 PM
I have a leaky water pump or gasket right now. Just wondering if anybody here has a recommendation for a replacement silverado water pump. I generally go with ac delco. I don't touch duralast if I can help it. I'm also going to be changing out the thermostat while the coolant is drained
I have heard that some of the replacement water pumps out there are pretty low quality.

Bullshop Junior
12-22-2014, 01:00 AM
Why are you gonna replace the entire pump instead of just the seal? Usually I buy all napa brand parts when I do replace parts though.

silverado
12-22-2014, 08:13 AM
Well, the truck has about 140k on it. I figured if I'm gonna pull it off I might as well change it now rather than down the road.

starnbar
12-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Not too happy with duralast either I had to pull off some of their replacement parts within a few weeks after installing them. The thermostat needs to be changed if its original its time I would go back with factory parts unless its too expensive

BethelHntr
12-22-2014, 09:33 AM
140 K I would replace the water pump without question, Cheap insurance. It's most likely the culprit anyway weeping out the drain hole.

6bg6ga
12-22-2014, 09:40 AM
A water pump is a water pump. Go to the parts store and simply buy a rebuilt. Never had a single one fail in over 45 years. If its leaking its not a gasket and it will be leaking out the weep hole.

rondog
12-22-2014, 10:01 AM
The pump in my 2000 Silverado is leaking too. And it ain't no easy chore to replace, I'm not looking forward to it. And the front wheel bearings are shot, and the tie rod ends, and on and on.....

Lloyd Smale
12-22-2014, 10:02 AM
I try to use delco replacement parts. there a bit more expensive but usually last longer. Look at your first pump it made a 140k. I personally don't want to wrench for hours or pay big bucks for labor and have to do it again a year later

tomme boy
12-22-2014, 10:07 AM
It is all made by the same Chinese factory and put into different boxes for each store. NAPA would be the last place I would go to. One of my best friends has a repair shop and I see all the junk they have to replace from NAPA 2-3 times. Get the factory stuff if you can afford it. That is what I do.

6bg6ga
12-22-2014, 10:16 AM
http://www.am-autoparts.com

So far I have used their front wheel bearing hubs in the wifes 2004 GMC Envoy as well as their heater motor. There was no difference between the $42.20 wheel bearing hub assembly I bought and the Delco one except that mine came in a plain white box and was cheaper to buy. The savings went into the Gun account.

MtGun44
12-22-2014, 10:10 PM
I change my coolant every two years and have never, ever replaced a
water pump. My last Accord went 346,000 miles with the original pump.
The corrosion protection and pump lubricants in the coolant (antifreeze)
do not last beyond 2 years with the old normal green stuff. Newer gold
and pink coolants are rated for more years, like usually 5 years. I
always mix mine with distilled water, too. Tap water puts crud into
the system that can damage bearings and seals.

I am convinced that this keeps a good pump running fine.

Bill

Gofaaast
12-22-2014, 11:12 PM
I have a new ac delco in one vehicle that has 60,000 since R&R, and 40,000+ on a cheap O'reilly rebuilt in another, both with no issues. Easy fix if you ask me. Scraping the old gasket off the block is the hardest part IMO. Tahoe has electric fans so it was real easy. I use an old serpentine belt and vice grips to hold the pulley when taking the fan off if your belt won't hold it now, if yours has a fan. My rebuilt pump had a real rough pulley that had been shot peened looked like, and the belt squeaked for a few hundred miles. Replace the little ac compressor belt while you are there they like to break on 90+ degree days after 100,000 miles. I use perma gasket seal on the new gasket only on the pump side and it will make it real easy to R&R if you ever do it again (Trick learned from a 40+ year mechanic). My Tahoe the seal went out at 150,000 app. and my truck leaked from 40,000 to 210,000 at the gasket, about a gallon a year. The bearings went out in that pump. These are 5.3 liter motors I am referring to.

Blammer
12-22-2014, 11:29 PM
rockauto.com

if you are looking for cheaper parts, of still good quality.

Plus they do honor thier warrenties, I've had to test it a few times, no worries got my new part replaced, with little or no hassle to me.

I use Duralast on a lot of my vehicles, they have the lifetime warranty on them, esp the water pump. Put one on my truck 50,000 miles ago and have no issues with it. I use Autozone duralast mostly because they are cheaper than anybody else and they stand behind their warranty stuff and they are close, saves time and money for me.

I do have a NAPA closer than the autozone, but the customers service sucks and they really charge a lot more for the same parts and they don't really back up their warranty stuff here.

So, that's my recommendation, I'm sure in your local there are different and or better parts stores around. You may just need to go ask a few shops what they use.

Superfly
12-23-2014, 02:33 AM
The old timers here will remember water pump lubricant Started using it again and I have never had a Pump seal go bad on anything I have put it in.

Cheap and it works

rondog
12-23-2014, 03:12 AM
rockauto.com

if you are looking for cheaper parts, of still good quality.

Plus they do honor thier warrenties, I've had to test it a few times, no worries got my new part replaced, with little or no hassle to me.

I use Duralast on a lot of my vehicles, they have the lifetime warranty on them, esp the water pump. Put one on my truck 50,000 miles ago and have no issues with it. I use Autozone duralast mostly because they are cheaper than anybody else and they stand behind their warranty stuff and they are close, saves time and money for me.

I do have a NAPA closer than the autozone, but the customers service sucks and they really charge a lot more for the same parts and they don't really back up their warranty stuff here.

So, that's my recommendation, I'm sure in your local there are different and or better parts stores around. You may just need to go ask a few shops what they use.
I thought NAPA and Rock Auto were one in the same co.?

6bg6ga
12-23-2014, 07:02 AM
I change my coolant every two years and have never, ever replaced a
water pump. My last Accord went 346,000 miles with the original pump.
The corrosion protection and pump lubricants in the coolant (antifreeze)
do not last beyond 2 years with the old normal green stuff. Newer gold
and pink coolants are rated for more years, like usually 5 years. I
always mix mine with distilled water, too. Tap water puts crud into
the system that can damage bearings and seals.

I am convinced that this keeps a good pump running fine.

Bill

Actually the only problem with antifreeze is the water pump lubricants go bad. The corrosion protection is fine. I always used straight water and after three years added water pump lubricant. I've gone 500K without changing a pump. In the newer GM vehicles the pumps go bad if pushed past the red line. I have not found that tap water is a factor in water pump failure. It would however make more sense to add distilled water.

Also do not mix the OLDER green antifreeze with the newer antifreeze mixtures.