PDA

View Full Version : selling at gun show questions

labradigger1
12-21-2014, 10:32 AM
I bought out an entire reloading estate lot yesterday, picked out what i wanted and the rest needs to hit the road. I thought about selling all of it here but it is an overwhelming amount of stuff and i would get covered up with pms and shipping. That being said, i thought about setting up at a gunshow and getting rid of it all over the two days.
My questions are,
1- do i need any special licenses or anything from the ffl to sell reloading stuff such as, brass (some primed), primers, moulds, dies, presses, some factory collectable loaded ammo and such. I realize that dies and presses will not require anything special but my question specifically is for loaded ammo (factory loaded), primers and such.
Lab

dragon813gt
12-21-2014, 11:11 AM
You don't need any license. Just pay for the table and you're good to go.

30Carbine
12-21-2014, 11:11 AM
You will have to check your local laws on that one. in my state there are no laws for anything like that you can sell loaded ammo no problem..

snowwolfe
12-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Ask 25% more than what you will actually take for the items and be prepared to be offered half of what you are asking:).

GRUMPA
12-21-2014, 11:47 AM
There's only 1 thing I can think of right off the top. I was a vendor at a CrossRoads of the west show in Glendale AZ. At that show you needed to purchase a resellers license or something to that effect for I think $26. Another cross roads show I was going to attend was held in Phoenix and didn't require any license. That's about the only thing I can think of, unless something has a registered serial number, and reloading components don't, I wouldn't give a thought about selling what you have..

StratsMan
12-21-2014, 12:00 PM
I agree with 30Carbine... check local laws... I live in Missouri, where I can just rent a table and I'm good to go... But next door in Illinois, I would only be allowed to sell to people with a valid Firearms Owners ID (FOID)... In fact, they would have to show me their FOID before they were allowed to handle a gun or live ammo...

Don't run afoul of WV or local law for lack of checking..... I'll wager that the show promoter will be able to tell you everything you need to know....

MOcaster
12-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Come down to the Cape Girardeau show and I'll come visit you!

obssd1958
12-21-2014, 02:02 PM
The only time you need an FFL for ammo or components, is if you manufactured them.
If you cast the boolits, or if you assembled the ammo.

As for the special permits, I agree with StratsMan - your Promoter should be able to answer that question for you.

osteodoc08
12-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Presses typically sell fast here. Perhaps you can offer up some of what you have for sale.

Check local laws, but typically all you need to do is buy a booth.

country gent
12-21-2014, 02:14 PM
I cantremeber the name of the license but for awhile you need one concerning sales taxs here. Check with the shows people and see what they say.

wcp4570
12-21-2014, 05:50 PM
It would be a very kind gesture to offer at least some of the more rare boolit molds here to your brothers and sisters. I just recently completed a trade of a mold that I had been looking for many years until I found it here. Kinda like keeping it in the family if you will. You don't have to offer up everything just what you think would be rare or sought after (anything that is not in the current catalogs). I totally understand why you would not want to sell a large number of things and have to mail them individually, that would take a lot of time. Just a thought.

wcp

starmac
12-21-2014, 07:30 PM
I would check with the promoter for sure, some towns require a permit for a booth, or even a garage sale. Some places have found ways to raise there revenue every which way somebody can think of.

MaryB
12-21-2014, 11:49 PM
Post a list here with a $100 minimum order to keep shipping headaches down.

RogerDat
12-22-2014, 12:10 AM
Until you get to a show listing some items here in small batches should reduce the headache and provide as others have said a real value to the community.

Nation wide market for odd molds, new people looking for used equipment to get started, people looking for some tool to help upgrade their process, or dies that seldom comes on the market used. I'm a poster child for the last one, looking for dies for 303 British most people don't sell theirs. And will need to add a powder measure to handle large rifle. Used would fit my budget lots better.

Best way to tackle a job that is big overall is to break it up into small chunks. Say post some molds and related dies. Maybe a few pieces of bench equipment at a time. Might take longer than a couple of days to get rid of it all but if nothing else you will know what you can get for it here (with the shipping hassle) and won't have as much pressure to sell low at the show.

labradigger1
12-22-2014, 12:18 AM
Post a list here with a $100 minimum order to keep shipping headaches down.

Hmm, thats a good idea.
Lab

starmac
12-22-2014, 01:13 AM
Hmm, thats a good idea.
Lab

Great idea, except that mean olden woman that I call boss, cuts me off at 99 bucks, so you might have to dicker a little. lol

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-22-2014, 01:19 AM
Its not all that hard to keep things organized and sell many items at once. If you decide to sell the items on here, which I think you should, feel free to contact me and I can give you some pointers that can make it easy and fun.

Wayne Smith
12-22-2014, 08:40 AM
If you go to a show the only thing you need to check are the tax laws. They may change from city to city and the show administrators should know and inform you.