PDA

View Full Version : new all purpose lube?

boommer
02-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Well guys been thinking making this lube for a year now and I cooked and mixed it up today. this is some heck of a lube so far on test done on it today. I was looking for a black powder mix ALL NATURAL NO PETRO LUBE and in test that I have done in the room this is what I have found.
1- at 15 degrees in freezer a ball of it after a hour will need like puty still soft
2- water will make it slicker that snot on a door knob
3- at 150 degrees pull the thermo-meter out dosn't run off stem sticks like glue, good sized glob. at 170 still stuck purdy good.
4- my heat tests were, I took a 525 grain bullet with SPG lube and a525 with my lube on it. put them on the anvil took the propane torch and heated them SPG melted off and ran off left little film.Now mine melted but did want to run off the lube sat on surface of the bullet and bubbled and did not burn and after they cooled off and there was a nice film still on it and soft and slick. SO THEN took the torch and
hit it again started melting the bullet about 100gr off of it and lube still there next to where the lead has melted off, soft and not charred just a gold color. I also did tests on high speed lubes.

SO now I need to lube up some bullets and see how this lube preforms in the real world. Hopefully in the black loads it will help keep the fouling softer thats what Iam looking for. SPG is a great lube so I used that to compare heat re-action.
ALSO GOING TEST IT in smokeless loads 45 lc w/w 250gr bullets take them up to 1400 fps in my winny 24 inch bl nice load. time will tell.

Maven
02-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Is this proprietary information or are you going to share the recipe with us?

bobthewelder
02-17-2008, 08:44 PM
LOL, I figured someone else would say it so I didn't have to.

boommer
02-17-2008, 10:52 PM
no this is no secret just a bad in typing out thoughts! WHAT I'am doing is very simple mix. I am using bee's wax and pipe joint lube food grade, olive oil. This pipe lube we use it for water main lube and it's very forgiving on temp. The lube at 10 degrees and at a100 is about the same consistency a little thicker when ice cold but slicker than whale snot! So the batch started out as a50/50 mix but then had to bump it up with more bee's wax to about 65 percent melted together purdy good then 2 table spoons of olive oil that smoothed it out nice. This is a ruff draft on the mix didn't melt the b/w down and measure it but close because started with 1# brick. The funny thing about this mix is when heated it clings like tumble lube kind of, but cleans off with warm water fairly well. I don't know yet in the real world but shows good signs. This would be great to have a lube to do both powders well. and if it don't work I guess I can eat it !!

JesterGrin_1
02-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Well Boomer I am sure it will work out fine. And we are watching lol. :)

Lloyd Smale
02-18-2008, 06:12 AM
I can see you running into a problem if you store bullets lubed. Any water based lube and most pipe lubes are water based are going to dry in time and then will probably shrink and fall off your bullets. The first batch of felix lube i ever made i made with water based lanolin instead of anhydrous lanolin and a year later all my bulelts were sitting in boxes with the lube at the bottom of the box. It worked fine as long as you shot your bullets right away.

boommer
02-18-2008, 12:09 PM
AH yes Lloyd that could become a problem. I think I'LL roll out some pieces and put them by the furnace duct in the room and give the lube a test that way to! AIR IS SUPER DRY in the house now and will be for awhile wont give true test of time but a IDEA. What do you think about using a dehydrator to speed it up or to harsh? I have one of those that the old girl has probably forgotten about.

runfiverun
02-18-2008, 10:39 PM
de-hydrater will dry it out
probably a good accelerated test

boommer
02-21-2008, 11:15 PM
WELL16 hours in the de-hydrater and still plenty moist. Rolled out thin wafers of the lube on wax paper and it didn't run at all ,it actually ran to it's self got a little thicker. Well next send them down the barrel and see what happens there if the weather ever gives me a break if it isn't snowing it's raining or blowing or work!

jameslovesjammie
03-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Updates?