PDA

View Full Version : Ohio: Comprehensive Pro-Gun Reform Legislation Signed into Law Today (From The NRA)

reddoggm
12-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Ohio: Comprehensive Pro-Gun Reform Legislation Signed into Law Today
http://graphics.nra.org/ila/leg_alert/line.gif Today at a public signing ceremony, Governor John Kasich (R) signed into law House Bill 234 (http://www.nramedia.org/t/3507642/109964589/30272/9/), comprehensive pro-gun reform legislation. HB 234 will take effect in ninety days.
While originally a bill allowing for the use of suppressors while hunting, the Senate Civil Justice Committee added many other pro-gun provisions to HB 234. HB 234 then passed in the Ohio Senate by a 24 to 6 vote (http://www.nramedia.org/t/3507642/109964589/42875/10/) on December 9, and was concurred by the state House of Representatives by a 72 to 21 vote (http://www.nramedia.org/t/3507642/109964589/43208/11/) on December 10.
HB 234 makes a number of positive changes to Ohio’s firearm laws. HB 234, as signed into law:

Improves the concealed handgun license process by (1) reducing the number of training hours required from 12 to 8 hours, (2) eliminating minimum length-of-residency requirements, (3) allowing non-residents who work in Ohio to apply for a CHL in the county or adjacent county in which they work, and (4) makes special provisions for members of the military who have been honorably discharged or retired, extending their competency certification from six years to ten years after honorable discharge or retirement.

Expands concealed carry reciprocity to visitors and persons temporarily in Ohio who have valid out-of-state licenses, regardless of whether the license-issuing state has entered into a reciprocity agreement with Ohio.

Repeals the prohibition on Ohio citizens buying and/or selling long guns or ammunition from only the five contiguous states of Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Citizens of Ohio can now purchase and/or sell rifles and shotguns in any state as long as the firearm laws in both states are obeyed.

Includes a “shall certify” provision which requires a chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) to sign off on an application to transfer an item regulated by the National Firearms Act, once the application procedure and requirements are met. This provision eliminates personal bias towards NFA-related items, requiring CLEOs to sign off and process the application in the same way they do a concealed handgun license.

Allows for the use of firearm sound suppressors while hunting in the Buckeye State.

Brings Ohio’s definition of “automatic firearm” in line with the federal definition, limiting it to only any firearm designed or adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger.

Your NRA thanks you for your active involvement in the passage and enactment of HB 234, as well as the state legislators who voted for its passage. We also thank Governor Kasich for signing this important pro-gun reform into law

Riverpigusmc
12-19-2014, 10:03 PM
Yep. NRA members tote the log for millions on non member gun owners. If EVERY law abiding gun owner were a member, there not be any anti gun legislation submitted. Ever

M-Tecs
12-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the post. Great news for Ohio. Just another example of why Republicans are better than Democrats on firearm issues.

jmort
12-19-2014, 10:08 PM
This might help the members who say they can't tell the difference between Democrats and Republicans to discern a little better. Good news.

M-Tecs
12-19-2014, 10:17 PM
This might help the members who say they can't tell the difference between Democrats and Republicans to discern a little better. Good news.

I wish that was true but the HATE for Republicans runs deep with some members http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?261323-Tell-Me-Again-Why-Any-Republican-Is-Better-Than-A-Democrat

I don't believe it matters how many examples of the difference pro-gun Republicans make in the gun control issue some will find a reason to hate and discredit all Republicans.

MaryB
12-19-2014, 10:29 PM
Now to extend that nation wide, but I live in commiesota(MN) so not going to happen. We are trying to ram through a suppressor bill, and trying to get NFA full auto allowed. Right now only full auto allowed is antiques

pworley1
12-19-2014, 10:34 PM
Way to go Ohio.

nagantguy
12-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Nice to see, I got a good buddy in the buckeye state so now we can hunt varmints with cans!!

Bad Water Bill
12-20-2014, 04:25 PM
I only HOPE I live long enough to see something like that but then again who ever thought ILL I NOISE would ever see CCW?

Yes the NRA was a big help in getting it passed.

EVERYONE on this site should be a LIFE MEMBER.

willie_pete
12-20-2014, 06:53 PM
I used to live next door to Ohio. IIRC, their definition of automatic weapon used to be any gun that could fire more than 30 rounds, including semi-auto's with a 30 rd magazine.

WP

DR Owl Creek
12-22-2014, 02:03 PM
I look at HB234 as taking several steps in the right direction. There still is a long way to go though. One thing I didn't see in it was pushing harder for CCW reciprocity with a lot of states that don't currently recognize Ohio's. Another was being able to use the Ohio CCW for firearms purchases without going through the NICS background checks. There's still more work to do.

Dave

Smoke4320
12-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Dr Owl Creek
Part of what you wanted is in the bill... As below

Expands concealed carry reciprocity to visitors and persons temporarily in Ohio who have valid out-of-state licenses, regardless of whether the license-issuing state has entered into a reciprocity agreement with Ohio.

dragon813gt
12-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Glad to see it moving in the right direction. Do you still have to inform a police officer if you're carrying if pulled over for a traffic violation? That one has always bothered me as it puts the officer on edge.

300winmag
12-22-2014, 02:53 PM
Glad to see it moving in the right direction. Do you still have to inform a police officer if you're carrying if pulled over for a traffic violation? That one has always bothered me as it puts the officer on edge.
They run your plate that is all it takes to know if you are a ccw holder.
Most of the time treated like a outlaw by most LEO'S.

Bad Water Bill
12-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Will the new law recognize my Utah NON RESIDENT CCW card as the state of Indiana does?

As time moves on and more people get their CCW the police will become more comfortable with us carrying.

When you consider how much more training the average vet has or had in firearms training we should demand that all with a valid DD214 or equivalent be automatically issued a CCW.

Something else to fight for.

reddoggm
12-22-2014, 06:31 PM
(CCW reciprocity with a lot of states that don't currently recognize Ohio's)

(Expands concealed carry reciprocity to visitors and persons temporarily in Ohio who have valid out-of-state licenses, regardless of whether the license-issuing state has entered into a reciprocity agreement with Ohio.)

Hopefully this goodwill gesture will open the door for other States to recognize Ohio,s CCW
DOGG!!!

reddoggm
12-22-2014, 06:52 PM
will the new law recognize my utah non resident ccw card as the state of indiana does?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^
it will take a couple of months before they publish a list of states recognized

as time moves on and more people get their ccw the police will become more comfortable with us carrying.

When you consider how much more training the average vet has or had in firearms training we should demand that all with a valid dd214 or equivalent be automatically issued a ccw.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the federal government is threatened by vets much more than by the average citizen because they have been trained for combat and in weapons handling to the degree that most vets are more qualified to handle a weapon than a lot of leo,s out there they (the government) does not want that big faction of government trained solders to be handed (easily obtained) ccw,s

something else to fight for.

dogg!!!

Bad Water Bill
12-22-2014, 06:54 PM
I am keeping my fingers crossed.

We just dumped a governor that vowed he would never sign a CCW bill into law.

The courts gave him 180 days to have CCW here so the legislature passed the bill and when time ran out it became law without his signature.

Now we have to wait and see how much backbone this new governor has.

As with most politicians they will say anything to get elected.

He will definitely hear me on March 18 when we march on the capitol building to regain more of out gun rights back.

MtGun44
12-22-2014, 08:45 PM
"Most of the time treated like a outlaw by most LEO'S."

Don't know if this is based on experience or some anti-LEO bias, but in
suburban Kansas cities south and west of KC, this is definitely
not true. Tell the LEO, he says "Where is it?" and "OK, thanks"
and the business at hand continues. This is from personal
experience. A bit different years ago in MO, before CCW came in,
was with a friend hunting and moving from one side of his property
to the other by PU, and was pulled over by state trooper. He
informed the trooper, who asked "Where is it?", and then personally
took the 1911 out my friend's holster and could not figure out how to
unload it and finally laid it on the driver floor and discussed the issue with
the driver outside the PU. Took a lot to keep me from laughing at the
trooper not understanding that the safety (locked and cocked 10mm,
he was hunting with it) locked the slide. In neither case did the officer
get upset, although when CCW was not legal, he did want to remove
it. He accepted the info that we were moving from one side of property
to the other while deer hunting -both in camo and dayglo orange, I had
a rifle, so no issue with the "illegal" concealed carry.

Reports from friends are that notification results in the usual, "OK,
don't reach for it. " from the LEO. Perhaps in other states it is different,
but LEOs around here have figured out that CCW licensees are not
a part of the problem.

Bad Water Bill - best wishes on liberalizing your gun laws. In most states, once
the dam has burst, and nothing bad has happened, the "blood will run in the streets"
arguments fall on deaf ears and they get down to passing reasonable, workable laws
that deal with reality. Most states have steadily improved their gun laws after CCW
passes, Ohio is just the latest good example.

Bill

reddoggm
12-22-2014, 09:29 PM
"Most of the time treated like a outlaw by most LEO'S."

I know where 300winmag is coming from here in the Buckeye alot of Leo,s have gone overboard on a driver doing as the LAW states by informing the Leo that they were in possession of a LEGAL Firearm with a Permit to carry and all it did was get some over zealous Cop to start committing a crime against the Driver and the 2nd Amendment Most of whom got away with it Now I know there is always two sides to a story BUT come on even the Cops that where found to be in the wrong only got a hand slap after basicly committing a serious crime against someone
I,m hoping that with the State laws getting more and more Pro Gun that these Scared Cops will get their head out of their butt and comply with what IS THE LAW
DOGG!!!

Riverpigusmc
12-22-2014, 11:42 PM
They run your plate that is all it takes to know if you are a ccw holder.
Most of the time treated like a outlaw by most LEO'S.
In Florida, CCWL are not in the license plate database, and you do not have to inform unless asked

country gent
12-22-2014, 11:56 PM
Ive delt with law enforcement here several times over the years. When stopped in the vechicle I turned on the dome light and placed my hands on top of the steering wheel after hitting the full down on the window. The state trooper that night thanked me for letting him know I was armed and we about our buisness. ( I was on my way home from work at 3:00 in the morning) Allowing the officer to be able to see in and your hands helps to put them at ease. At the house the local officer had no issues with me being armed. I have not had any officers that had an issue with concealed carry Here yet. I know and followed the case in the cleavland area several years ago. Ibelieve and Officer thats willing to viloate the carry laws is going to be an issue with other laws also.

DR Owl Creek
12-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Ive delt with law enforcement here several times over the years. When stopped in the vechicle I turned on the dome light and placed my hands on top of the steering wheel after hitting the full down on the window. The state trooper that night thanked me for letting him know I was armed and we about our buisness. ( I was on my way home from work at 3:00 in the morning) Allowing the officer to be able to see in and your hands helps to put them at ease. At the house the local officer had no issues with me being armed. I have not had any officers that had an issue with concealed carry Here yet. I know and followed the case in the cleavland area several years ago. Ibelieve and Officer thats willing to viloate the carry laws is going to be an issue with other laws also.

The approach Country Gent described is the way most CCW/CHL classes teach you to respond when stopped by a law enforcement officer. Simply tell him/her you are armed, and ask what they would like you to do. In most situations, the county sheriffs or smaller city/town police really don't care. In the larger cities (e.g. Cleveland), or out on the interstate highways with the Ohio State Highway Patrol (particularly if you're an out of state resident), I don't know.

Where I live, you aren't required to be armed, but it certainly isn't frowned upon. 8-) A buddy or mine recently had someone run into his Jeep while in a parking lot, and he called the city PD to file a police report. When the officer arrived, he told him he had an AR in the back of his vehicle. The officer told him "he did too", and they went on with filing the report.

As far as reciprocity with other states, Ohio currently has agreements with 22 other states that honor each other's CCW/CHL's: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming. When the new law goes into in late March, hopefully we can expand this list somewhat.

If you live in Ohio, or are simply travelling through, and you want to legally carry, I would recommend checking with the Ohio Attorney General's office web site for the current legal situation. Go to: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Law-enforcement/Concealed-Carry . Another good place to go is the Buckeye Firearms Association http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ . They have a lot of news and information about gun rights in Ohio, as well as a forum that discusses a lot of issues, including CCW/CHL.

Dave

woodsxdragon
12-23-2014, 01:03 PM
I am so glad they removed that stupid magazine capacity law.