PDA

View Full Version : Guess what my new pup ate this AM

willie_pete
12-19-2014, 09:35 PM
While I was reloading.

WP

mattw
12-19-2014, 09:40 PM
So, do they have to remove it or will it remove on its own?

smokeywolf
12-19-2014, 09:42 PM
Never a good idea to let the doggies into the reloading room. They'll find stuff you never knew you dropped and like a 2 or 3 year old child, it always goes in their mouth.

drinks
12-19-2014, 09:49 PM
At least it was not your homework, no one would have believed that!

s mac
12-19-2014, 09:53 PM
So, do they have to remove it or will it remove on its own?

It too shall pass.

dilly
12-19-2014, 10:14 PM
The bullet nerd in me wishes it were powder coated so we could see how well it held up to the GI tract.

Was it lubed with an animal fat grease lube, or is your dog just young and adventurous and not very discrminating?

willie_pete
12-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Took her to the Vet, she said it would never pass. They wanted to try to make her throw up first before they did surgery. Luckily that worked. They said she threw up in a stainless bowl and they heard a thunk. It is a 245 grain I was reloading for a Blackout. One of the techs who is a shooter came in when they did the x-Ray and said "is that a .30?

The three dogs aren't allowed in the reloading room; this one snuck in. BTW her name is Ammo ( she's my dog ). Her two brothers are named Merlot and Gallo ( my wife named those two ). She's only 5 months old, her brothers are 5 YO. I've reloaded close to 125,000 rounds in the past 5years. This is the first one anyone has eaten.

She's famous now, the Vet wanted to put the x-Ray on their Facebook page and I said OK.

WP

IraqVet1982
12-19-2014, 10:29 PM
WP, what kind of doggie?

Looks like a boolit hound from the x-ray

willie_pete
12-19-2014, 10:31 PM
The bullet nerd in me wishes it were powder coated so we could see how well it held up to the GI tract.

Was it lubed with an animal fat grease lube, or is your dog just young and adventurous and not very discrminating?

She's teething and jumps on anything. It was 45/45/10

willie_pete
12-19-2014, 10:35 PM
She's a West Highland White Terrier. That's her in the middle.

WP

RED333
12-19-2014, 10:37 PM

I now have coffie on my key board, thanks, LOL
Glad your pup is gona be OK.

303Guy
12-19-2014, 11:26 PM
Glad you caught it!

I'm assuming that a cast boolit? Not good for dogs. It is rumoured that their digestive acids will dissolve enough of it to kill them! Cattle die from eating the lead plates from old tractor batteries and other lead pieces they find. And we're not talking about teething calves either! Not sure why they would eat lead though!?

starmac
12-20-2014, 12:37 AM
Cattle will also die from eating a piece of steel, as in baling wire or anything of the sort, but they have a whole different stomache setup.

I had a dog chew on a round ball till it was basically unrecognizable, but never swallowed it.

labradigger1
12-20-2014, 05:01 AM
Our 3 month old doberman we are god parents of ate his collar a couple weeks ago, it had little brass horses around the collar, they showed up on the xray like your boolit. Surgery and 28 stiches later and he's ok now.
Life is better with dogs!

Cowboy_Dan
12-20-2014, 05:41 AM
Glad you caught it!

I'm assuming that a cast boolit? Not good for dogs. It is rumoured that their digestive acids will dissolve enough of it to kill them! Cattle die from eating the lead plates from old tractor batteries and other lead pieces they find. And we're not talking about teething calves either! Not sure why they would eat lead though!?

Lead tastes sweet. That why kids used to eat lead paint chips. The Romans even used it to sweeten their wine.

6bg6ga
12-20-2014, 08:09 AM
We had a German Shepherd one time that ate a whole frozen chicken. Nothing was left except the wrapper. The Vet had never seen this before and she passed it by herself without surgery.

quack1
12-20-2014, 08:17 AM
Had a Lab pup, that true to his breed, would eat anything. Didn't even have to be in the food classification. One day, once he got big enough to reach the lower shelf under my loading bench, he found and ate the better part of a stick of the old black Lyman crayon type lube, box and all. Never bothered him in the least, never threw up or even got the runs. I've had labs for about 40 years and am still amazed at what they will eat.

willie_pete
12-20-2014, 08:35 AM
Lead tastes sweet. That why kids used to eat lead paint chips. The Romans even used it to sweeten their wine.

Yes, in fact, another name for lead acetate is "sugar of lead". Some people say the decline of the Roman Empire was because of their use of lead as a sweetener in wine.

The Vet is going to do a blood lead level to check her out and some chelation therapy if needed.

WP

randyrat
12-20-2014, 11:09 AM
My friends dog had eaten about a lb of real good Rat poison a few years ago. He called, all worried. I told him to mix 2 TBLs hydrogen peroxide to about 4- 5 ounces of water and suck it up in a Baster. Place it in the dogs mouth toward the back and squish the liquid out slow. The dog swallowed it and in a few minutes vomited everything in his stomach, best to do it outside.
It worked like a charm and dog is still alive today and he never went to the Vet.
If you have dogs, always have Hydrogen Peroxide handy and a baster, it will save you a Vet bill.

44man
12-20-2014, 12:58 PM
I have had dogs as pups that chewed everything from chair to table legs. ANYTHING at all. Then got my pekingnese pup, never chewed a thing and will not eat anything funny. That little head has more brains then any dog I ever had.

PbHurler
12-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Pups will be pups, I'm glad to hear she's OK.

Mk42gunner
12-20-2014, 06:42 PM
I had a Jack Russell that loved to eat solo plastic cups and bowls. I discovered this when he passed the strips of plastic (still stiff) the first time. It must not have hurt coming out, he ate them every time he got hold of them.

It is disconcerting to see red plastic strips in your dogs land mines.

Robert

robroy
12-20-2014, 06:53 PM
I had one that loved ear plugs

woodbutcher
12-20-2014, 09:08 PM
:shock: Many years ago a friend had a Lab that would chew on anything.Chomped a lamp cord one day.No harm,except they said that his eyes glower in the dark for a few days.After that,when he saw a cord he ran the other way.Just for the heck of it they wondered what would happen if they strung some wire around the outside of the house.Welllllllllllll,the first time they let him out
he took off at a run,saw that cord,and stopped so fast he almost had a brown ring around his neck.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

merlin101
12-20-2014, 09:58 PM
I had a shepherd mix that decided that a large braided rug would make a nice snack, so he ate a hole in it about 3"x 4'! Guess what came out in almost one piece!! Poor boy was squating out there with a braided"rope" hanging there, I finally went out and stepped on it so as he squat walked it slowly came out.
Dogs, ya gotta love em.

runfiverun
12-21-2014, 03:09 AM
we had a lab/chessie mix that ate so many boolits, ww's and lead ingots, I'm surprised she could swim.
I'd bet money that she ate at least 50 pounds of lead in her lifetime, best grouse and pheasant dog I ever had.
her mom was the best dove, rabbit, deer, magpie, crow, deer, and duck dog I ever had.
but she never ate any boolits.

wmitty
12-21-2014, 04:07 AM
wille pete

Great Pic (# 10) Those three look smarter than most of the guys I used to work with.

willie_pete
12-21-2014, 05:11 AM
Yes, they are pretty smart; except for the one in the middle, she eats boolits.

WP

Lloyd Smale
12-21-2014, 07:51 AM
my dog needed surgery twice. Once when a pup it swallowed a bud light beer cap out of the neighbors trash and another time found a deer carcus and somehow swallowed a couple deer vertebrae about 1200 bucks a crack.
Took her to the Vet, she said it would never pass. They wanted to try to make her throw up first before they did surgery. Luckily that worked. They said she threw up in a stainless bowl and they heard a thunk. It is a 245 grain I was reloading for a Blackout. One of the techs who is a shooter came in when they did the x-Ray and said "is that a .30?

The three dogs aren't allowed in the reloading room; this one snuck in. BTW her name is Ammo ( she's my dog ). Her two brothers are named Merlot and Gallo ( my wife named those two ). She's only 5 months old, her brothers are 5 YO. I've reloaded close to 125,000 rounds in the past 5years. This is the first one anyone has eaten.

She's famous now, the Vet wanted to put the x-Ray on their Facebook page and I said OK.

WP

nagantguy
12-21-2014, 07:56 AM
Had a Lab pup, that true to his breed, would eat anything. Didn't even have to be in the food classification. One day, once he got big enough to reach the lower shelf under my loading bench, he found and ate the better part of a stick of the old black Lyman crayon type lube, box and all. Never bothered him in the least, never threw up or even got the runs. I've had labs for about 40 years and am still amazed at what they will eat.
Yes sir, had to put down my 11 year old lab this summer, on Christmas morn she ate a pair of rubber gloves, a box of condemns a box of pop corn and a jug of home made syrup. Wrapping paper And all. Found some interesting discolorations on the lawn fer a while.

Dan Cash
12-21-2014, 09:08 AM
Dogs eat the darndest things. Years ago one of my English Pointers, a young dog, was observed draging a long string around the yard. Upon investigation, we discovered that it had some basting tape used in sewing, a fabric strip about 3/4 inch wide that came in a roll. The dog had swallowed the tape except for the 3 or 4 feet hanging from its mouth. I pulled on the tape and the hound tucked its tail. Upon closer examination, we found that the tape was hanging from both ends. I also learned that such items move more freely from front to rear than they do rear to front. It took about an hour to remove by gently pulling from the output orfice; pulling and pulling and pulling. You can not imagine the length of that piece of tape.

bedbugbilly
12-21-2014, 09:41 AM
Glad you caught it and the pups going to be O.K.

Just for you dog owners in case you don't know it . . . if your dog eats a "no-no" - such as chocolate, etc. - you can induce vomiting and have them expel it through dosing them with hydrogen peroxide. We've had to do it a number of times oner the years. I use a turkey baster, draw a dose up and with someone holding the dog, shoot it down their throat. On some dogs it may take a few minutes but usually it will cause them to get rid of it. This trick was taught to us many years ago by our vet.

We have a Poodle-Bichen mix who is driven by food - he'll go after anything. He got in to a box of chocolates one time that my aged mother-in-law left out and ate the whole box up. Another shepherd-elk hound mix I had literally ate a 1" X 48" nylon leash - he chewed it up into pieces several inches in length. The peroxide worked but I was laying the pieces out on the grass to make sure we got it all. Just a good trick to remember if you have a four legged child as sometimes it can be a while before you can scare up a vet - especially "after hours".

Our dogs are like kids (we never had kids) but they can certainly get into things like a two or three your old child.

Glad the dogs doing well - have a Merry Christmas!

borg
12-21-2014, 02:56 PM
Ya'll 'splain this.
When my lab was about 2 yrs, she ate a hole dead center in my front door, I mean dead center about 10" dia, no scratch marks, nothing.
How the does a dog with a snout eat something flat and not from the edge?
She's now 15 yrs and still hunts and acts like a pup.

dondiego
12-22-2014, 01:12 PM
Be careful. A close friend had a German Shorthair pup that ate a small rag and died of an internal blockage rather quickly.

Dr. A
12-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Just got done removing a walnut from a patients stomach. It was stuck for sure. I've removed everything from a ceramic bear's head to an 8 track tape. Funny what shows up and what doesn't. The worst ones are linear, in that it may saw right through the intestine. (thread in a cat is the usual). Its also interesting to see what will pass. Once guilty, always guilty after this. Sometimes hard to find out what they've eaten, and the x-ray won't always tell if it isn't lucent. The more chewy they are, the more likely they'll do it. Much of the time, its a younger dog problem (more often) as well.

runfiverun
12-22-2014, 05:36 PM
nuthin better than watching a retriever throw up half a tennis ball while sitting in a duck blind at 0600.

Nicholas
12-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Ages ago, I had a large mixed breed that could not stay out of the kitchen trash can. One day she ate a 5 pound sack of flour and then barfed the whole thing all over the kitchen floor. This was after scouting the trash can and distributing it all over the floor. Loved that dog. After being bad she would slink around hanging her head and looking guilty, then take a verbal scolding and cheer right up. Next chance she would be at it again. She would jump into any water no matter how rough just to chase sticks and would do so until I would stop worried she would do so till she collapsed.

pjames32
12-22-2014, 05:59 PM
our 8lb Doxie once at 1lb.of grated cheddar cheese. Tried to get him to puke it up. No luck.
Vet said watch him to be sure he pooped it out. Took several days of Pepto to get him cleaned out and back to normal. If there had been 2lbs or more he would have eaten it. That dog loved cheese and turkey!
PJ

sawzall
12-22-2014, 10:35 PM
My ****-Zhou Poodle cross eats the darndest things. I was walking her one day and she pooped out a mottled, funny looking turd. Asa I watched it, the light tan colored pieces started to grow. I was worried so I used a poop baggie over my hand to dissect the turd. Turns out she ate a big chunk of my memory foam pillow!

When she was about 4 months old she ate nearly a whole box of pot of gold chocolates, which I negligently left n a bag hidden as they were a christmas present. We left her with our daughter who had a 3 year old boy while we went to town to get something to make her throw it up. The "children" were playing in our grandson's room when the dog started throwing it all up on her own. All over the carpet, toys and the boy! H had a full on panic attack as he thought it was blood and she was dying. For months after that every time he saw my dog he would say "don't puke on me!"

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Glad the dog is OK. That is just too funny!

largom
12-22-2014, 11:29 PM
I had one that loved ear plugs
Got our Bichen-Fisch as a yr. old. Had her about 1 month and she got up on a chair by a table where I had left my hearing aids. You know the rest of the story, ate most of a $3,000.00 hearing aid.

Larry

quack1
12-23-2014, 12:26 AM
Ya'll 'splain this.
When my lab was about 2 yrs, she ate a hole dead center in my front door, I mean dead center about 10" dia, no scratch marks, nothing.
How the does a dog with a snout eat something flat and not from the edge?
She's now 15 yrs and still hunts and acts like a pup.

My first lab chewed a hole through the center of the floor in his box, 3/4" plywood and 1" styrofoam insulation. I have the box and run set up on cement blocks, with 1X2 wire in the run, for easy cleanup. One morning I got up, looked out and there was his head looking out the bottom of his box. Always wondered how he did it.

beagle
12-23-2014, 01:21 PM
My wife was making bourbon balls last night and I like 'em strong. She'd finished and they'd cooled and she was transferring them to a container for the refrigerator and dropped one. Our male doxie jumped on it like a hen on a june bug and it was gone. He was happy all evening and went to sheep early. This morning, no worse for wear./beagle

Geezer in NH
12-23-2014, 06:17 PM
I had a Jack Russell that loved to eat solo plastic cups and bowls. I discovered this when he passed the strips of plastic (still stiff) the first time. It must not have hurt coming out, he ate them every time he got hold of them.

It is disconcerting to see red plastic strips in your dogs land mines.

RobertThe Jacks I have been with will eat anything smaller than then and tend to fornicate with anything bigger.

Handloader109
12-23-2014, 10:22 PM
Having had dogs of many varieties since I've been alive, I've seen them eatn chew most everything. Had a dachshund and her pup, books would show up having spine chewed, pup would be near the book. Was positive it was the pup, mom died and the book chewing stopped. Her pup never chewed anything. Raised goats,and my terriers loved goat poo. Yep,they'll eat anything