PDA

View Full Version : .58 cal h&r huntsman. Just found in barn

rcjc1972
12-19-2014, 07:03 PM
I just found my fathers .58 in the shed. I will fix this but need help. Was tild it was mod for the 209 primmer. Hoping someone coul help with words and pics of wisdom

rodwha
12-19-2014, 07:37 PM
What are your questions?

In what condition is it? I'm guessing it's been outside for quite some time and well rusted. Have you inspected the bore?

Not sure I can be of much help, but more info may help others.

richhodg66
12-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Open it and look at the breech, should be easy to tell if it's set up for 209 primers or percussion caps. If the bore isn't badly pitted it can probably be made to shoot pretty well without much trouble.

koger
12-19-2014, 08:12 PM
I am pretty sure, all those older ones were for #11 cap, with a nipple. They had 2 kinds of breechplugs, one was threaded steel that screwed in, another had rubber 0 rings, just push it in.

Geezer in NH
12-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Most had the 209 primmer conversion/replacement from H&R. Either screw breech or the push in with O-ring.

NH F&G said the push in breech was deadly as some nit-wit killed himself when the breech blew out but that appeared to be a non-seated #11 cap on a nipple.

If an old model the "firing pin will be about an 1/8" around"

Got one in 58 and no problems to me.

rcjc1972
12-20-2014, 09:17 AM
I opened it up.Bore looks good and appears to have been cleaned. Looks like there a nipple that is missing. There is threads in the plug. Were some of them threaded

pietro
12-20-2014, 09:38 AM

If your breechplug has a threaded hole in the center, the threads are for a nipple (no, I don't remember what size).

If the central hole is smooth, it takes a 209 primer for ignition.

The proper nipple, and projectiles, should be available at http://www.trackofthewolf.com/

bigted
12-20-2014, 10:46 PM
I think my second muzzleloader was one such. had a ball fooling with it and then I actually loaded it with a stiff charge of blackpowder and a 500 grain minni and let fly with the stinker. felt like id gotten kicked by the old mule square in the shoulder and my trigger finger went numb ... with round balls tho it were a blast to shoot with lighter charges.

sounds like yours needs a nipple with the corresponding thread pitch ... like also has been mentioned ... track of the wolf will be your best bet for finding the correct nipple for your rifle.

pictures of the new pet would go well and a range report after the smoke clears.

dk17hmr
12-21-2014, 12:04 AM
They kill deer pretty well.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/DSCF0033.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/dk17hmr/media/DSCF0033.jpg.html)

58 Round balls punch nice clean holes in flesh and it doesn't take a whole lot of powder behind them....it has been a couple years but I think I only shoot 80gr of RS powder with a RB.

DIRT Farmer
12-21-2014, 01:21 AM
The nipple size is 1/4 28. The issue with the slide in breach was to long of a nipple cone and the possibility of a slam fire when closing the action before the action locked. Make sure the cone of the nipple is shorted than the rim of the breech plug.

rcjc1972
12-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Ok,ty for the info. I really want to get this cleaned up and in good firing condition. Like i said it was my dads and want to give to my son for graduation. A special gift from his grandfather.

longbow
12-21-2014, 11:48 PM
I used to have one of those when they first came out. Mine was .58 and with the O-ring push in breech plug. Nipple was for #11 caps.

My understanding of the change to screw in breech plug was that someone with the push in style had a hang fire and immediately opened the gun then the powder charge ignited and blew the breech plug into him. After a lawsuit H&R went to threaded breech plugs. Not sure of the authenticity but that is what I understood at the time.

I shot mine a lot and with some very stout charges. It functioned very well and was an accurate gun but it lacked "tradition" so in the end I sold it and went back to side lock. Nothing wrong with the gun though. It shot both minies and round balls well.

Longbow

Geezer in NH
12-23-2014, 07:31 PM
Make sure your nipple charged with a cap WILL not fire when closed ,as when the breech hits it instead of the hammer. Other than hat go for it!! it may shoot super.

longbow
12-23-2014, 09:27 PM
I don't recall the capped nipple in mine being that close to the breech but then I do not remember a long firing pin either so maybe... After all it is a break action shotgun frame and shotshell primers aren't recessed so that cap could be pretty close. If the nipple was a bit long or not screwed all the way in then the cap could be set off as the action closed. Never even thought of that. I never had any problems but nonetheless, there is potential there.

Longbow