PDA

View Full Version : ever buy the same gun more then once?

Lloyd Smale
12-18-2014, 08:31 AM
Just came home with 2 new rifles yesterday. a 25-06 custom and a 308 model 700 tactical. I was at the gunshop and the wife of my buddy who just died of cancer had all his guns there. Earlier she game me a 7mag wby vanguard that he wanted left to me. I wanted to help her out so I picked up a couple guns. The 2506 was an interarms action douglass barrel with a AA French walnut stock that I had built back in the early 80s. In the late 80s I went though a divorce and had to sell some guns and that one went. I told the guy I sold it to that if he ever lost interest I wanted first crack. About 5 years later he called and I bought it back. Had it about 5 more years and Art (the guy who passed) saw it and just had to have it and twisted my arm with trade offers for about a year and finally I gave in. He had until yesterday. I about forgot about that gun and was looking through the well over 50 rifles he his wife brought in and there its was. As soon as I saw it I knew it belonged in my safe again this time for good. so I actually bought that same gun 3 times. theres still a Kimber montana 308 there that's calling me but I blew my gun budget for a good long time.

M-Tecs
12-18-2014, 08:39 AM
Had a buddy that didn't manage his money very well. When he would get short I would purchase some of his guns with the understanding he could buy them back for the same price I paid him. I had a couple of his three times.

bobthenailer
12-18-2014, 08:54 AM
NO i have never bought one back ! but there are a few i wish i could if i knew who had them ? sure would like my tricked out 70 series 45 acp satin nickel combat commander back!

I did get back my BIL's 1960's Ruger 22 auto after he sold it to one of my friend's 20+ years previously and after 10 years or so regreted it, so my sister and I bought it back for his birthday , I packadged it up in a big box that went progressivley down to smaller size boxes, " Boy was he surprised !"talk about a ear to ear smile. PRICELESS
As a + the gun came back in the same condition as it was sold including the box & papers , we had to give him as much $ as a new one would cost for him to sell it, but well worth it to us !

georgerkahn
12-18-2014, 08:57 AM
A "friend" so "drooled" over one of mine, I finally agreed to "lease it" to him for $100.00 -- the deal be it's in his possession for as long as he still wanted it, but for any reason disposal came up, he'd get his $100 back, exclusively (so we agreed) from me. Several weeks later, I started getting chided, as Steve apparently took it to a gun show, selling it there for more than triple what he had given me. Over a decade later, at a show I went to, was the SAME firearm! I really thought about putting it back in my collection, but felt the bad memories re what Steve had done; present higher price than I could really justify spending; and, that it showed the years... I passed. But, that's the closest I got to re-buying the same firearm.

GhostHawk
12-18-2014, 08:59 AM
Yes actually, Way back in the 90's my lgs guy said "Hey we have a few Ruger 10/22's for sale, last of the walnut stocks" Good price, brand new, and as he said, in months they no longer sold them with walnut stocks.

I shot it very little myself. Ended up half selling it, half giving it to my Nephew. I got out of it exactly what I put into it, which was about 1/3rd what it was worth, not to mention the scope base, rings and scope.

Knowing that it is going to the only male heir of my family in my time, yeah, you got it, priceless.
3 girls but he finally got a baby boy last year. :)

He's down in Huntsville Al area I believe.

Isaac
12-18-2014, 01:30 PM
I once traded a very nice Winchester 1200 12 ga. and cash for a new Savage rifle. I am very happy with the rifle. I picked the 1200 up used a few years before. It was a very nice example: dark walnut wood with an excellent finish. A very nicely blued vented rib barrel. Overall, an excellent looking firearm. Well cared for. I went back to the gun shop a few times afterward. My attention was always drawn to how nice the 1200 looked. One day I figured I may never see one as nice at that one again so I went back and bought it.

nekshot
12-19-2014, 09:14 AM
I know of a few I would gladly buy back if given opportunity! Good deal on your purchase, may those guns rest real good now in safe hands!

Artful
12-19-2014, 09:29 AM
Ah, I thought you meant duplicates of the same gun...
I have done that - two Ruger 10/22's, Mini-14's, Marlin 44's, Sig 9mm's etc.

mtnman31
12-19-2014, 10:54 AM
I've never had a gun more than once because I have only ever gotten rid of one gun. I traded it with a little cash for a different one. I Get and hold on to them. I have a couple that I would consider selling or trading to get something else but I am just not motivated to do so anytime soon. I guess it is a good thing I don't have an FFL - I'd just buy more and more guns and end up with something unmanageable.

Forgetful
12-19-2014, 11:12 AM
I bought a 2nd 870 12ga. The first one took box mags and had a folding stock with pistol grip. Second one has a full traditional stock, tube fed, 12.5" barrel. Same length as mag tube. Nice little shotgun. Am considering buying a 3rd 870.. with 8" barrel and super short pump handle, except it's a 2+1 or something ridiculous like that.

12.5:

8:

square butte
12-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Yep - S & W model 48. Wished I had not sold it the day after I sold it. Went to a friend - Then I bought it back almost 20 years later, None the worse for wear. Happy to have it back

Lloyd Smale
12-20-2014, 08:16 AM
id want that one back myself!
Yep - S & W model 48. Wished I had not sold it the day after I sold it. Went to a friend - Then I bought it back almost 20 years later, None the worse for wear. Happy to have it back

fatelk
12-20-2014, 01:48 PM
A "friend" so "drooled" over one of mine, I finally agreed to "lease it" to him for $100.00 -- the deal be it's in his possession for as long as he still wanted it, but for any reason disposal came up, he'd get his $100 back, exclusively (so we agreed) from me. Several weeks later, I started getting chided, as Steve apparently took it to a gun show, selling it there for more than triple what he had given me.
Wow, that's a real low-life thing to do! I guess friendship means nothing to some people.

I heard a similar story from an acquaintance a few years ago, during one of the big semi-auto buying frenzies when $300 AK rifles were going for $1,000. He had a "buddy" who knew he had an extra AK and kept pestering him to sell it to him. He "really, really needed one", didn't have a lot of money, and wanted a "buddy deal". Being a nice guy, this guy sold it to him for something like the pre-frenzy price that he had paid. He found out a couple days later that his "buddy" had turned right around and sold it for a $500 profit. Needless to say, they weren't buddies anymore.

Lloyd Smale
12-21-2014, 08:14 AM
I once loaned a 12 foot fishing boat to an old timer in town. I didn't use it so didn't miss it. About 2 years later I went to get it back and he had sold it. I asked him for the money he made off of it and he said he was broke and probably was. I walked out of there shaking my head!!

marvelshooter
12-21-2014, 09:07 AM
Years ago I had a Ruger Single Six stolen in a housebreak. It was not recovered until after the insurance had paid the claim so I had to buy it back from them. I traded it to a coworker for a S&W model 10 and later bought it back. I recently traded it away again and who knows what the future holds.

jmorris
12-21-2014, 02:01 PM
I have on guns that I sold to friends with the stipulation that if they ever sell them I get right of first refusal.

I did buy a CETME from a fellow a number of years ago and fixed the build problems it had from the factory and a few years later sold it back to the guy I bought it from. Must have done a good job, he didn't know it was the same rifle until we were talking about them in general and I was explaining how to fix various issues.

pmeisel
12-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Lloyd, congratulations, second chances are rare enough and third chances unheard of!

Hooker53
12-23-2014, 11:11 PM
I never have bought the same type rifle twice but the CZ-527 might be the first.

aap2
12-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Last year I bought a Rem 700 Tactical 5R in .308 strictly for boolits; shot is a few times and went back to buy the exact same rifle in .223. Side by side in the rack with identical scopes they are identical (almost twins). That's as close as I have come to buying the same gun twice..

Shooter973
12-24-2014, 09:00 PM
I have bought the same type of gun several times. I have 3 stainless Security 6's. 2 are 4 inch and the other is 6 inch. Plus a blue 2 1/2 inch. I also own 4 Redhawks, 3 in 44 mag, 7 1/2 inch for 2 of them and 2 in 5 1/2 inch. One in 44 the other in 357 mag. I have 3 M77's in 30-06, 2 in Mark ones, and a stainless laminated stoked on that's a Mark 2. 4 or 5 10/22's 3 blue and 2 stainless. 3 M77/22's one blue with sights, one boat paddle stainless, and target grey laminated heavy barrel. Those are just the Rugers, the same thing happens with S&W's. And Browning and Colts,and a few others.I own sereral 9 mm's that are the same, 14 1911's al in 45 acp. 2 Rem 870 police shotguns with rifle sights. The list goes on and on. When I found something I liked at my local gun shop I'd put it on layaway and $10 them to death. What's wrong with me. I can't pass up a good deal on a good gun. [smilie=s:

DLCTEX
12-25-2014, 05:32 AM
I sold a Ruger Mk I to an older gent several years ago and then caught grief from my sons who gew up shooting it. About six months later the gent asked if I knew anyone who would buy it as he needed money. I got it back for less than he paid and it will stay in the family.

fouronesix
12-25-2014, 12:57 PM
"ever buy the same gun more then once?"I hope not. I've bought, sold and traded for a ton of them and there was usually a good reason to sell. Some were very good guns and some were not so good. Some new, some old, some valuable collectibles, some were very popular at the time that others really wanted.

Seller's remorse? Maybe once. Had a nearly unfired Colt Sauer bolt gun that I sold in a sell-off frenzy- maybe like to have that one back, but it's the only one I can think of. However really not lost any sleep over it either.

TXGunNut
12-25-2014, 08:12 PM
Not really. I sold/gave my dad a few guns over the years and when he passed away they all came home with me for awhile. I've forwarded some of them to other members of the family but I'll keep one of them. I very seldom sell a gun so other than my dad's guns it's not likely to happen. There are very few guns I've sold that I'd really want back, anyway. If it's worth keeping it's still around here, somewhere.

alamogunr
12-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Many years ago I bought my first magnum handgun, a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum. It was cheap because someone had left it in a leather holster and it corroded the barrel and cylinder. The squared off trigger guard pounded my middle finger so I didn't shoot it much. A friend at work(before I retired) asked if I would sell it and I sold it to him for about what I had paid for it.

A couple of years later he asked if I would buy it back. I bought it back for what he paid me. Still didn't like it so about 3 months ago I sent it off to a custom gunsmith to be converted into a 5 shot .45 Colt with a modified grip and round(?) trigger guard along with a couple of other touches.

This may qualify as making "a silk purse out of a sows ear".

daniel lawecki
12-25-2014, 10:12 PM
Two GP100's two Ruger Super Blackhawks both sets same caliber and barrel lengths.

Zouave 58
12-28-2014, 06:28 PM
Back when I was dealing in US military guns for a living I did some "restoration" work for a number of other dealers. I used to re-blue and re caseharden 1863 Remington Zouaves for one particular dealer. My jobs were undetectable for the most part except for a small telltale dimple my breech plug wrench made on the tangs of the breech plugs if I was not careful. So one day a prominent dealer from Falmouth Mass called me wanting to sell me a couple of "those things I liked" and we agreed to meet on the highway going to Maine. It was dark and so I crawled into the back seat of his old big Chrysler with only the dome light. Indeed he had a pair of minty Zouaves that looked great so I bought 'em. When I got home, you guessed it- dimples and just to prove the point I pulled the but plates to find my initials underneath and the date I worked on them. (1) I do good work (2) I can be really dumb (3) never tell a brother dealer your screw ups since it can take years to live 'em down.

tazman
12-28-2014, 07:04 PM
I had 2 different rifles that I sold at a time I needed money badly. Luckily the new owners eventually needed money as well and I got them back. I have not been as fortunate with the other guns that left at that time. I have never seen them again.

fouronesix
12-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Back when I was dealing in US military guns for a living I did some "restoration" work for a number of other dealers. I used to re-blue and re caseharden 1863 Remington Zouaves for one particular dealer. My jobs were undetectable for the most part except for a small telltale dimple my breech plug wrench made on the tangs of the breech plugs if I was not careful. So one day a prominent dealer from Falmouth Mass called me wanting to sell me a couple of "those things I liked" and we agreed to meet on the highway going to Maine. It was dark and so I crawled into the back seat of his old big Chrysler with only the dome light. Indeed he had a pair of minty Zouaves that looked great so I bought 'em. When I got home, you guessed it- dimples and just to prove the point I pulled the but plates to find my initials underneath and the date I worked on them. (1) I do good work (2) I can be really dumb (3) never tell a brother dealer your screw ups since it can take years to live 'em down.

Great story!

Besides bore condition, any wrench/vise marks on the tang or breech are the first things I check when looking at an old military muzzleloader. And no, my Rem Zouave doesn't have any bruises on the tang or breech and doesn't have any initials under the butt plate. :)

frogleg
01-03-2015, 06:19 PM
Yes LOL