PDA

View Full Version : WTB a Black Powder Pistol

Redd508
12-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Specifically I'm looking at the TC Scout, CVA Optima and the Traditions Vortek. My intention is to develop loads to eventually use on deer and medium game. I've read the specs on them until I'm cross eyed and still cant make up my mind. I understand the CVA is designed for the heaviest powder charge which means more velocity and range. But 70-80 grains of powder behind the right bullet will also make meat within my self-imposed limit of 50 yards. Design wise I lean toward the Scout pistol. That is however, the most difficult one to lay hands on. So i come to the sweat lodge seeking wisdom from those who have gone before me. Whats been your experience with any of these pistols? I plan to delve into specifics of boolit and powder at a later date but if the Spirit moves you then please share. I may have opportunity on a Scout rifle also so that may also be part of the discussion.

As always, thanks in advance.

rodwha
12-17-2014, 08:59 PM
You certainly don't need that much powder behind a bullet/conical for 50 yds. You wouldn't even need that much powder behind a .50 cal ball either.

dnotarianni
12-17-2014, 10:46 PM
I own the Optima and run 80 gr of Blackhorn 209 with a 250gr Hornady HP with a sabot. 50yd standing shots on the 8" gong are no problem. Gun wears a 2x scope and cloverleafs 3 rounds from a rest

Redd508
12-17-2014, 11:03 PM
I've got a number of 45 cal molds that would work with sabots but i had in mind to cast a full bore 50 cal heavy and possibly .490 rb from soft lead. Have you tried rb in the Optima?

dnotarianni
12-17-2014, 11:12 PM
I've got a number of 45 cal molds that would work with sabots but i had in mind to cast a full bore 50 cal heavy and possibly .490 rb from soft lead. Have you tried rb in the Optima?

Redd All I have experimented with are 44 and 45 cal bullets in sabots both jacketed and cast lead
Acuracy is just about the same except for a height diference on target depending on load

Omnivore
12-18-2014, 06:30 PM
I would like to have one of the aforementioned pistols, but alas; my state does not allow the technology for ML season. I must use something with an "exposed" primer, which also cannot be a primer used in modern cartridges, i.e. no 209s. That pretty much means traditional MLs. The point being; make sure it's legal for your intended purpose.

big bore 99
12-18-2014, 06:52 PM
I don't think they make them anymore, but I had a Hopkins&Allan underhammer in 45 cal. It was very accurate and plenty powerful. It's exposed hammer and inline ignition and very simple design.

Safeshot
12-18-2014, 07:01 PM
If it is legal in your area, you might consider an 1858 Remington replica revolver (.44 cal) cap and ball revolver. With Alliant "MZ" Black Powder substitute or Black Powder and a .44 conical bullet they are "nice". Six shots are nice also if legal. Cabellas had them on sale - may still be on sale. Just a suggestion. Safeshot

Redd508
12-19-2014, 09:28 AM
Our hunting seasons are pretty liberal with what we can use. Muzzle loader season became primative weapons to include certain metalic cartridges in specific type actions. 44 cap and ball would be legal. Also any front stuffer larger than .40 caliber iirc. I like the c&b guns but im kinda wound up on the .50 single shots right now.