PDA

View Full Version : what do I need to do to get better

corey012778
02-17-2008, 04:26 AM
I got started today, got my first real casting done. I do thank yall for the help to this point. now I just want to know what I could do to improve. besides keep doing it.

I am right now casting sabot round for my muzzleloader with a lee 429-214-swc kinda as a learner mold for me. I am planning on getting some more molds down the road.

pics
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/corey012778/HPIM0109.jpg

anything would help.

mroliver77
02-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Do you have a "macro" setting on your camera. It would help to make clearer pictures. Looks like a dent on the bottom of rightmost boolit. Are the bases supposed to have a bevel or is this poor fillout?
I have always been reluctant to remelt marginal boolits. I like to cast and have piles os boolits so now I go for perfection throwing any back that dont make the grade.
Keep up the good work Corey.
J

NSP64
02-17-2008, 09:25 AM
What kind of setup are you using? What temp,alloy, technique are you using(water drop or aircool) How many did you cast at that session? Off hand I would say add some tin, increase temp, have fun.It takes a few casts to get the mold warmed up, even when preheating. If you are using straight W/W I would add some tin. Buy a thermometer. That way you can adjust the temp and be able to duplicate it once you find the correct temp for your alloy.
I cast .429-255gr lee Rn boolits for my ML and use green ribcrush sabots. I cast the hunting ones with a pure Pb nose. Didn't get a chance to try them out last season. Just obtained a Lee .429-310 mold to use for ML and Super redhawk.

corey012778
02-17-2008, 01:09 PM
I will add some in my next batch. thanks

mooman76
02-17-2008, 04:07 PM
The bullets look fair for someone starting off and I also am not picky about my bullets either. There are a few minor dings in them. Are you dropping them on a folded up towel? It's really hard to make suggestions without knowing all the details but practice is your best tool. That's the good thing about lead. No waste, you just remelt what you don't like.

corey012778
02-17-2008, 04:15 PM
damn, I thought I forgot something :groner:

I think I had about 30 some I did remelted, into ingots. can't do much today, rain, cool, and the race [smilie=1:

Leftoverdj
02-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Boil that mould in hot soapy water at least half an hour. There's still enough preservative on it so your corners are not filling out.

As others have pointed out, you need a padded surface to drop your casts on. If possible give it a slant for the bullets to roll down out of the way of the next cast. Make sure your padding is not synthetic. Fresh bullets can melt synthetics.

corey012778
02-17-2008, 05:25 PM
I will remember to do that next time. thanks for the help. I just gotta pick up some tin before my next cast session

NSP64
02-17-2008, 05:36 PM
If you do repairs around the house you might have some lead free solder for plumbing repairs(tin):-D

Blammer
02-17-2008, 05:43 PM
instead of tin, just "overpour" the mould. meaning keep pouring into the mould even after it's filled the cavity. this extra pressure, if you will, from over pouring may help fill out the mould.

Bass Ackward
02-17-2008, 06:00 PM
What do you need to get better?

1. Now that you are passed the phobia, concentrate on developing certain techniques so that you can perfect that into a routine. The routine can be done to a rhythm. Learn to perfect your techniques in between secessions so you can focus and concentrate only on casting.

2. Each time you cast, make notes for THAT mold. Note what you / it did well, and what you crapped on. Things such as you need a towel to be gentle with your bullets or clean the mold better, etc. You can learn to hum a song to maintain a rhythm. But don't listen to the radio or every song will be a new pace. :grin: Note what pot setting you used or casting rate, (song) if you don't have a thermometer.

3. Then practice.

KYCaster
02-17-2008, 06:32 PM
You didn't say how many you cast before the ones in the pic. They look like cold mold or cold alloy.

Keep casting and if things don't improve in a dozen casts then raise the temp a little at a time till things look right. It takes a little time to get a feel for what works.

It's not unusual for the first session with a new mold to be a dismal failure. Let it sit for a couple hours and try again, things may improve.

Good luck.

Jerry

runfiverun
02-17-2008, 09:38 PM
just get things a little hotter make sure your moulds are clean
and add just a bit of tin.
you are doing fine

corey012778
02-18-2008, 12:10 AM
I gotta run to the store tomarrow, so I pick up some tin solder, I had some left from old elelctrical work I use to do, but I don't think it would not work, I think it is acid core but it is been more then 10 yrs so I don't remember what the make up was,

thanks again for the help :drinks:

454PB
02-18-2008, 01:24 AM
There's nothing wrong with acid core solder, it just adds some extra fluxing action and burns off.

mroliver77
02-18-2008, 01:36 AM
Many people cast WW without adding tin. I see it as an unnecessary expense. For a hunting boolit yes but for plinking you can get away without adding tin. Just keep pouring them.
J

corey012778
02-18-2008, 01:38 AM
I thought I read some where that it was not good. sheesh, trying keep up with everything :roll:

I use up the solder I have on hand then

corey012778
02-18-2008, 03:11 PM
thanks again, got a chance to get outside and cast again. had my pot running around 725 maybe a little hotter. I tried dropping them in water. I liked it alot better. I had 2 -2lbs ww ingot and 1-1lb sinker ingot in the mix. I liked how it filled out nicely. I had alot fewer that I have to remelt

I am using a small ss pot and a 2 burn stove. I put the mold next to the to pot while heating everything up.

I set the my first batch and the second batch side by side. forgot for a minute the first bath 100% ww :roll:

left what I did today/right the was a few days ago
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/corey012778/HPIM0111.jpg

runfiverun
02-18-2008, 10:56 PM
those look pretty good
if that is acid core solder melt it outside and dont breathe the fumes
that stuff is nasty uuhhhh.
but it does agood job .

corey012778
02-18-2008, 11:07 PM
I do all my casting out side. I found some 50/50 solder that has some age on it. gotta be old found it up in a closet no one goes into that often (once every 5 years or something like that) I need to dig around in there a little more