PDA

View Full Version : Ove Glove? Anyone? Looking for smelting & casting gloves.

psychbiker
12-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Read that some use this Ove Glove for casting. It's rated to 500 degrees roughly. I'm not sure how much smelting I'll be doing. Just got 130lb of ingots. Also have 120lbs of foundry/linotype lead that looks dirty, want to smelt into ingots.

Would the Ove Glove be too cumbersome to cast with, handling the pot and the mold handles? What about to smelt in? I have smaller hands, wear medium moto gloves, and welding gloves at Harbor Freight and Home Depot are all too big. I'm going to try my leather motocycle gloves this weekend casting and using mold.

Idz
12-17-2014, 01:41 PM
I think leather gloves are best. The oven glove looks knit which may let molten lead leak through.

jsizemore
12-17-2014, 01:41 PM
That's what I use to cast with. I open the sprue plate with my gloved hand and never a burn. I can pick up 38 wc's but not 22's. I still use my welder's gloves to smelt but the Ove-gloves would work just fine. I've used Ove-gloves for 4 years with never a burn.

Springfield
12-17-2014, 02:05 PM
They work great for casting and smelting, been using them for 8 years. They stop the heat for much longer than leather gloves, you can pick up ingots that are still very hot when smelting. They are also much more flexible than leather gloves when casting. The lead tends to run off, not soak through, but if you get a big piece stuck on there you WILL have to take the glove off for a bit until it cools off. And the lead tends to stick to the glove, it is knitted after all with lots of places for the lead to grab.

quasi
12-17-2014, 03:11 PM
I use them , they work much better and are cheaper than Tig gloves.

shooter93
12-17-2014, 08:39 PM
I've been using them for years also. They work well....lead may stick but it doesn't leak through.

JWFilips
12-17-2014, 09:15 PM
I use the ov- glove for popping open the sprue plate while casting. Since doing that I find it is a far better experience ...But Now for smelting Ov-glove works ok but you will feel the heat when moving ingot trays...but then again I also feel the heat with a good pair of welding gloves if you are moving a lot of trays quickly

sojerguy
12-18-2014, 12:36 AM
OK then. Was JUST about to go and by a set of welding gloves when I saw this. Where does one find 'ove' gloves?

Ditto a good face shield?

kenyerian
12-18-2014, 12:46 AM
Seen some at a Kroger store last week.

sojerguy
12-18-2014, 01:16 AM
Got busy and did some searching on the web. Wallie-world, Wally-green, red dot with a red ring ... all listed them. AND Consumer reports liked them also!!!! Plus!!!!

Spector
12-18-2014, 01:24 AM
I use a pair of woven Kevlar work gloves a friend gave me. They work beautifully. I drop boolits right from the mold into my gloved hand to inspect. If you hit it with enough molten lead sometimes a speck or two may get through. I open the sprue plates on Lee double cavity molds with my gloved hand as well. No problem. Plenty of flexibility and handles heat much better than leather gloves.........Mike

Springfield
12-18-2014, 01:34 AM
Lots of them on E-Bay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Sell-2X-Ove-Glove-Hot-Resistance-Surface-Handler-Oven-Firefight-Kitchen-Tool-/251753732663?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9db11a37

Sekatoa
12-18-2014, 02:10 AM
I've used them too. I like the silicone grippiness, there's a lot more dexterity using them. But, but when doing smelting, I wear a pair thin goat skin leather gloves under them for an added layer of protection. They are thin enough not affect the dexterity much.
I see that Weber makes something quite similar in black as a set of BBQ gloves. Been looking to pick some up at end of season or off season clearance prices, but they never went down in price.

jsizemore
12-18-2014, 09:59 AM
The standard Ove-gloves that I use are ambidextrous. They also make one for steam and vapor use that is hand specific. I bought a pair of those for my sister when she's handling crockery from the oven or dumping pots of boiling stuff. She said they are the bomb.

bangerjim
12-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Those gloves are good for casting operations, but I prefer leather welding gloves with long sleeves on them for re-melting WW's and alloys. Far more heat and potential splashing and sloshing that just simple casting of boolits! Welding gloves offer much more protection and you really do not need to be "touchy-feely" with that operation.

Check your local Harbor Freight for welding gloves.

Get both!

banger

HiVelocity
12-18-2014, 12:08 PM
I picked up some leather "BBQ" gloves at Lowes, around $13; cover your forearm too. Just food for thought.

BTW, Had a friend make me a padded canvas apron too. Nothing like lead spatter, or a loose sprue, in your lap.

HV

frkelly74
12-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Ove gloves are just the thing. I pour the lead open the sprue dump the cut offs into my hand and put them back in the pot. One started to fray a little so I just reversed it and kept going.

jmort
12-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Ove Gloves work well for casting and smelting. I use a welding jacket when smelting as there is more potential to ship molten lead and/or two layers of long sleeve shirts or a jump suit and boots. Two layers of cotton all over.. Face mask when smelting.

2wheelDuke
12-18-2014, 12:51 PM
I've been using the Ove glove to cast for a couple years now. The knit material is bad about snagging on sharp stuff, and I have some worn spots on them now. I like them enough to get another pair.

I have one just for kitchen use too, and wouldn't mind another to use there either.

psychbiker
12-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Orchard OSH Supply has the Ove Glove but want $20 each, double than amazon. Gonna check Walmart this weekend.

My face shield and leather split leg apron came in the mail yesterday. Gonna hit the goodwill store for a thick denim shirt to wear.

Hope to start my first batch of casting this weekend AND if I can get a propane tank cut maybe some smelting too.

sojerguy
12-18-2014, 10:34 PM
Found there is a new model available, at least thru my local Walgreen stores. Left and Right specific AND rated for steam also. Was listed on the wally-world website, but none of my local stores even knew what they were. Walgreen's it was.

jmort
12-18-2014, 10:37 PM
Sounds new and improved from an already great product.

tazman
12-21-2014, 09:14 PM
On my job heat treating hammers using lead pots as a heat medium, I used a fleece glove called Heater Beater.
We were working at 1500 degrees Fahrenheit. You could hold onto hot steel that was probably in the range of 900 degrees for a few seconds if your gloves were dry. Those gloves would soak up water so your safety margin decreased the wetter they got.
They were fairly long lasting but took some getting used to when trying to handle small parts.
They had a medium length cuff on them.

Shooter6br
12-21-2014, 09:22 PM
I use the oven groves for casting. Got a pair of welding gloves for when I do smelting. With the oven gloves on I can open the sprue of the mold . I dont need to hammer it....Get wife a pair(oven gloves) and when they get stained she gives them to you and get her a new pair A "win-win" situation!

Budzilla 19
12-21-2014, 10:00 PM
Just a suggestion, there is a glove for welders called "Caimans? it has a glove and an elbow-high protector with a built-in pad for your arms!! Kind of like a welding glove that goes all the way to your elbows!! Great casting and smelting gloves!! Last pair I bought were $25 plus tax in Cushing, OK. Like said before, your price may vary according to your location!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!

Southern Son
12-28-2014, 07:35 AM
Seen some at a Kroger store last week.

Got mine from Buffalo Arms.

Sekatoa
01-02-2015, 03:26 PM
So I finally found the Weber version at Lowe's on semi clearance. They were $24 for the pair, instead of $29. I'm glad I got them. When I tried them on I found they go much further up the arm then the Ove Glove. Also, they are right and left handed. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/02/3b81b1696118dcdbc06dacd75a0d3cff.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/02/305024d9dca4f16bebc59cf05e7dc56d.jpg

Mike Kerr
01-05-2015, 02:28 AM
Good tip on the "Caimans?"