PDA

View Full Version : how do you dirty the barrel?

nekshot
12-17-2014, 09:29 AM
It is a shame 1st shot in a clean barrel is not the best! So, eve before hunt I pour some powder down barrel topped with a little paper and fire. Then I load my magic load for success and gun stays in the cold. What do you do?

DIRT Farmer
12-17-2014, 11:42 AM
For hunting I shoot a clean barrel. There is a lot of differance between the side of a deer and the x ring. I also have shot my rifles enough that I know where the first shot will go.
Large quanities of powder and ball are your friend.

scattershot
12-17-2014, 01:10 PM
I shoot two or three caps, and then a pinch (5 or 10 grains)'of powder, and load as usual. I don't use the paper wad, as I feel it is unnecessary and a fire hazard here in dry Colorado.

bhuch5
12-17-2014, 04:22 PM
I have to go with the clean barrel first shot too. It can be wet here in Oregon and I don't want a fouled barrel (real black powder) rusting up my barrel while hunting. Also If I don't get a shot during the day I will leave my clean barrel loaded for the next day. Bruce H

Omnivore
12-17-2014, 05:16 PM
It's really very simple, in my way of thinking. First; why is yourfirst shot not the best? I submit that it is not the best because you've optimized your load for a fouled bore. Optimize your load, and your sight zero, for a cold, clean bore and you won't have anything to worry about.

I've attacked the problem as follows;
When shooting for group, either to develope a load or to confirm sight zero, I shoot every shot from a cold, clean bore, meaning I clean the bore thoroughly after each shot, and leave it in it's "first shot clean bore" condition, for each and every shot.

There. Problem solved. Now your first shot is your best shot, just as it needs to be for hunting. Just be sure to leave your cold, clean bore in exactly the same condition every time, i.e. the exact type and amount, or lack, of lube in the bore, etc. It's ALL about consistency.

This is one of the MANY ways in which field shooting, or "real shooting" (i.e. shooting for blood) is completely different from range shooting or match shooting.

Nobade
12-17-2014, 09:26 PM
I'll fire a blank in the air, not so much for better accuracy but to make sure there's no oil in there and it'll actually go off when I want it to. No wadding, just a little powder.

-Nobade

Toymaker
12-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Every rifle is different and responds to different methods. I feel fortunate that all 5 of my muzzle loading rifles respond to the same treatment. In competition I pop a cap downrange and another at a leaf or grass to make sure the channel is clear. Then I load a charge, put a cleaning patch over it and fire it downrange. A damp (damp) patch goes down the bore and out. Then I'm ready to shoot targets. The bore gets a damp patch down and out after each shot. For hunting, the night before I clean the nipple and bolster channel with alcohol and then acetone. The bore gets cleaned with alcohol and then acetone. A quick puff from the Safety Ball Discharger and a dry, clean 2x2 inch flannel patch is wadded up and put in the bore just enough to close it but easily removed. Another gets folded and put over the nipple with the hammer down. In the field I load and wait. Up to 50 yards the POI has been spot on (proven on targets). Out to 100 yards the POI is 2 inches higher than in competition (again, proven on targets). When shot with a muzzle loader I've never had a deer move more than a couple of feet before going down.

gnoahhh
12-18-2014, 01:36 PM
Before loading a hunting load, I run a couple tight flannel patches in to sop up the bulk of the oil, paying particular attention to the breech end where the oil has probably puddled to one degree or another. Then swabs of acetone to get the last bit out. I don't bother with alcohol as it isn't a solvent for the oil I use. Cap off a couple times to clear the flash channel, then load 'er up. Dead nuts impact same as from a fouled barrel.

fouronesix
12-18-2014, 08:39 PM
I sight in using a cold, clean, dry bore. Which means taking a little time and effort at the range.

Every year I witness the strangest rituals by ML shooters at the range just prior to elk or deer season. Many or most, have little interest in MLers or understanding them. They'll shoot shot after shot at 100 yds. Usually the more they shoot the bigger the groups get. Seldom do I see them cleaning at the range. And seldom do I see them shooting at a more practical range of maybe 50 yds. But after a few shots and the center of their 10" "group" is maybe somewhere?- they'll adjust the sights to move that "center" toward the bull. Then fire another number of shots all the while having to use more and more force to seat a bullet or ball. They'll look at the target and maybe see a shift of the ever growing "group" size. They'll adjust the sights again and fire again. After tiring of the frustration and the obvious terrible and increasingly random POIs, say some stupid thing like, "close enough" or "that's minute of deer".

I pop a cap then load a cold, clean, dry bore for the day's hunt. I know the load will shoot very close to desired POA and the bore won't corrode or collect moisture or kill a charge from gunk in the breech or flash channel. I fire or unload at end of day, clean the bore and repeat the process for the next hunting day. And yes a ML can be unloaded with little problem without firing unless some kind of hard or overly tight projectile has been hammered down the bore.

Geezer in NH
12-19-2014, 08:57 PM
Shoot it.