PDA

View Full Version : Probably a long shot....

Bullshop Junior
12-17-2014, 01:49 AM
I know this is a long shot but gonna try...

Does anyone here have a 99-06 GMC or chevy half ton 4 we pickup they are parting out? The steering gear box went out on mine, and I don't have the 400 that napa wants for one at this time.

therealhitman
12-17-2014, 02:34 AM
NAPA is always waaaaaay over priced.
Rockauto.com has a reman for less than a hundred bucks shipped to your door plus core charge. Summit may even be cheaper.
I'd call and arrange RA and ship the core first to avoid the deposit...

Bullshop Junior
12-17-2014, 02:40 AM
I can't ship the core because it is in the truck, and I can't afford to have the truck undrivable for more then a few hours.

BD
12-17-2014, 07:23 PM
Junkyard at the nearest big town with all paved roads. No truck that spent it's life on paved roads ever used up the steering gear box. But lots of them used up motors or were wrecked.
BD

Ickisrulz
12-17-2014, 09:16 PM
I can't ship the core because it is in the truck, and I can't afford to have the truck undrivable for more then a few hours.

Typically you pay a deposit upfront which is refunded when they receive the core.

Mk42gunner
12-17-2014, 11:46 PM
Junkyard at the nearest big town with all paved roads. No truck that spent it's life on paved roads ever used up the steering gear box. But lots of them used up motors or were wrecked.
BD

And if you can find one that is dry on the outside, you may not even need to replace any of the seals.

Also find out what else uses the same steering gear box, I highly doubt that GM developed a gearbox and only used it for five years.

One thing about buying a "rebuilt" one from a parts store: usually they are only resealed.

Robert

Bullshop Junior
12-17-2014, 11:58 PM
Not gonna have much luck finding a road only truck around here.

MtGun44
12-18-2014, 01:33 AM
How about this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2007-Chevrolet-Silverado-Suburban-GMC-Sierra-Yukon-Steering-Gearbox-/221610717384?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33990730c8&vxp=mtr

Bullshop Junior
12-18-2014, 01:52 AM
Hadn't even thought of looking on there. That does not look like the right one, but I'll look around. Thanks!

MtGun44
12-18-2014, 11:56 PM
You are very welcome, sir. I often find deals on ebay, but some stuff is crazy expensive. You really
need to KNOW what a good price is and jump on it like a chicken on a June bug if it
is, may never come again. Folks clearly have no clue what is a good deal on some stuff,
or live somewhere where normal channels are insanely expensive.

Bill

Ehaver
12-19-2014, 10:26 PM
They are on amazon. somewhere around 120, did one just a few months ago. that nut on the pitman arm, its a pain.

Bullshop Junior
12-20-2014, 05:24 AM
They are on amazon. somewhere around 120, did one just a few months ago. that nut on the pitman arm, its a pain.
I'm probably gonna see if I can get the company to have their mechanic put it on as with the hours I usually work, I never have time to fix it. (Just got off of a 21 hour shift). Plus I lease the truck out to the company, so I think they won't have a problem getting it installed for me.

Bad Water Bill
12-20-2014, 04:34 PM
I'm probably gonna see if I can get the company to have their mechanic put it on as with the hours I usually work, I never have time to fix it. (Just got off of a 21 hour shift). Plus I lease the truck out to the company, so I think they won't have a problem getting it installed for me.

Since others are also using the truck ask them for donations to make it safer to drive.

You never know till you try.

Just might get the whole problem solved for FREE.

PS

Girty sez ta re mind u ya aint n Texaz no mor.:bigsmyl2:

Bullshop Junior
12-21-2014, 12:47 AM
I'm the only one that drives the truck. When I asked today, they just gave me a company truck instead lol.