PDA

View Full Version : New article from Glen Fryxell

cbrick
12-14-2014, 11:39 PM
I've been having computers problems in posting and editing on my web site lasc.us. Glen has a new article on aluminum gas checks that many folks should find interesting and Glen gave his permission to post it here. Once I figure out the computer bug I'm having I'll post this with Glen's other articles on lasc.us.

Vulcan Check: Aluminum Gas Checks

by Glen E. Fryxell

Historically, dating back to 1906, gas checks (GCs) have been made out of copper or brass. The reasons behind this include that copper and brass have suitable properties (hardness, melting point, etc.) to protect a bullet’s base, they are widely available and affordable, and they are soft enough to make mass production of GCs easy (by stamping). Other metals have also been used, for example zinc,with the Harvey bullet designs of the 1950s. More recently, hand tools have been made to allow handloaders to make their own GCs out of aluminum cans. I have used these, and they work just fine, but the handloader has no control over the thickness of cans, and one might get stuck with substandard results if there is too much can-to-can variation, or if the manufacturer chooses to change the thickness for reasons entirely unrelated to the shooting of cast bullets. The bottom-line is the metal that a GC is made out of needs to be harder than lead, softer than barrel steel, easily worked and formed, and reasonably affordable. Many different metals could conceivably serve in this role.

Aluminum used to be a very expensive metal. Recall that the apex of the Washington monument is made of pure aluminum metal – chosen because in 1884 (when the apex was put in place), aluminum was the most exotic metal they could obtain, and they felt that this was a suitable way to honor George Washington. This expense was due to the extreme difficulty encountered in the 1880s to electro chemically reduce aluminum ore (bauxite) to aluminum metal. Today, aluminum is much cheaper due to abundant electrical power and active recycling programs, and we use aluminum metal for everything from packaging cheap beer, to wrapping our baked potatoes.

So, does aluminum make good gas checks? Well, I’ve shot a few handmade aluminum GCs that I made using the afore mentioned handtools and empty aluminum cans, and they worked just fine. With that specific set of tools and the bullets I was using, the fit of the GC on the bullet’s shank was a little loose and sloppy, but I made a point of keeping the GC within the neck of the loaded round so that throat tension would hold it in place and everything worked just fine. Accuracy was good, the bore was clean, the GC went out the barrel with the bullet, and everybody was happy. My ability to exert quality control was somewhat restricted because I was limited to whatever thickness aluminum I could get in empty aluminum cans (e.g. .006” on a Diet Pepsi can of recent manufacture), and obviously the manufacturer of those put zero thought into making those cans a specific thickness to satisfy my needs as a cast bullet shooter. Aluminum, as a material to make GCs out of, is a perfectly adequate material for the job, it’s just a question of whether or not aluminum cans are a suitable (i.e. thick enough)feed stock to make quality GCs with. The answer to that question depends on which cans one is using (they do vary somewhat in thickness), and the size of the GC shank on the particular bullet mould(s) in question. Generally speaking,copper-based GCs have been made in the range of .009-.016” thick (depending oncaliber; thinner for smaller calibers, thicker for larger calibers), so a .006” aluminum can would, at first glance, appear to make a GC that would be too thin. However, as any experienced bullet caster can tell you, there are quite a few bullet moulds out there that produce bullets with oversized GC shanks, in which case these thinner aluminum can derived GCs work beautifully. In addition, copper-based GCs are made that thick so that they will be slightly oversized and deliver the desired diameter when run through the sizing die, even if the bullet’s shank isslightly undersized. The thinner aluminum can derived GC may (or may not) have the dimensional flexibility to serve in such a case.

What if aluminum GCs were made out of thicker stock? That’s a very good question, but one that I didn’t have a ready way to address until just recently. The good folks at Vulcan Checks (www.vulcanchecks.com (http://www.vulcanchecks.com); 191 Whitney Road, Penfield, NY, 14526) make a wide variety of GCs for the cast bullet shooter, and they make them out of both copper and aluminum. Their prices are better than I have seen anywhere else recently (i.e.online, retail outlets, or gunshows), and their aluminum GCs are cheaper than their copper GCs. Recently, they put out a request for people to field test some of their new products, and one of the bore sizes they were interested inwas 6.5mm, which is one of my favorites, so I volunteered to test them. A little while later, in the mail I got samples of their 6.5mm aluminum GCs, in two different thicknesses, .013” and .0145” (about 25 of each). These are good looking GCs, and at first glance it was obvious that they covered more of the GC shank than do the traditional copper GC, so I broke out the dial calipers and took a few measurements.

124486 124482
6.5x55

6.5 mm GC Dimensions (ID measurements are only approximate):

Hornady (crimp-on copper GCs)

.010” thick

.061” deep

.273” OD

.250” ID

Vulcan Check .013”

.013” thick

.105” deep

.273” OD

.249” ID

Vulcan Check .0145”

.0145” thick

.118” deep

.272” OD

.249” ID

(Just for reference, the GC shank on bullets cast from my Lyman 266469 is .250”).

The dimensions of the Vulcan Check aluminum GCs result in a GC that snaps snugly onto the GC shank. These taller aluminum GCs essentially cover the entire shank of the 266469 (see photo). Sizing them down to .266” required a little more effort than usual since essentially the entire GC shank of the bullet was being swaged down inside the taller aluminum GC, but this resulted in a very tight fit on the GC shank. Once sized, it was not possible to pull these GCs off with my bare fingers (even without a crimp-on lip, like the Hornady GC has).

The Lyman 264469 (l-r: as-cast, sized/lubed with Hornady copper GC, sized/lubed with Vulcan .013 aluminum GC, sized/lubed with Vulcan .0145 aluminum GC).

I wanted to test these loads in a rifle with a known performance record with cast bullets. In this case, the choice was an easy one. Many years ago, my wife made me a Christmas gift of a 1906 vintage Swedish Mauser 96, chambered in 6.5x55(of course), that had been converted to a target rifle at some unknown date(probably in the 1920s) and fitted with good, target grade peep sights. This rifle is not only very special to me, it is also accurate and very fun with cast bullets. The fast twist barrel (1 in 7 ¾”) means that there are limitations, and cast bullets cannot be driven at full throttle (e.g. 140 grain bullets at 2500 fps) with anyhope of accuracy, due to stripping of the soft bullet from the fast twist. Nonetheless, at more moderate velocities, it is a good cast bullet shooter and routinely produces groups of 1 ¼” to 1 ½” at 50 yards (with iron sights). Not surprisingly, being a military rifle, it has an oversized throat, so I size all cast bullets .266” to better fit that throat. I have had a lot of fun over the years with this rifle loaded with the Lyman 266469 over 16.0 grains of 4198(1650 fps).

Swedish Mauser test rifle (6.5x55).

With the rifle chosen, I sat down and cast up a batch of Lyman 266469s using analloy of 3 parts recovered range scrap (BHN of about 8) and 1 part linotype,for an overall BHN of about 12. All bullets were sized .266” and lubed with50/50 beeswax and moly grease. All GCs were installed concurrent with lube-sizing. I wanted to see how these Vulcan Check aluminum GCs performed over a range of velocities, so I used 3 different test loads: 9.2 grains of Red Dot (1400 fps), 15.5 grains of 4227 (1600 fps), and 26.5 grains of 4895 (1900 fps). CCI 200 primers were used throughout. 5-shot test groups were shot at 50 yards, from a sandbag rest. The gun was not cleaned during testing.

5-shot groups for both of the Vulcan Check aluminum GCs averaged right around 1 ½” and compared favorably with those groups using the Hornady GCs. Average velocities were also very similar to one another. In all cases, strings for each powdercharge varied less than 20 fps from one another, and in most cases were only afew fps apart. In each case the Vulcan Check loaded ammo came out ever so slightly faster, but this is from a very limited number of shots (i.e. of highly dubious statistical significance), and could easily come out in reverse order with the next test.

Representative test targets.

In this particular case, with this particular rifle and bullet mould, I see no advantage to using the thicker (i.e. .0145”) aluminum GCs as the extra thickness was not needed to fit either the bullet’s GC shank, or to fit the rifle’s throat. It is, however, nice to have that option for those recalcitrant cases (either mould or rifle) where that thickness IS needed (and there were some wide dimensional variations in some of these World War I vintage military rifles).

Based on this very limited test, it seems that these aluminum GCs work as well as traditional copper GCs, both in terms of sealing the gases behind the bullet’s base to avoid leading and get the most velocity out of the powder charge, and in terms of cleanly delivering the bullet from the barrel into stable free flight for good accuracy. They are easy to install, well made, and affordable. They are sufficiently thick to insure that they provide a full diameter bullet base after installation and sizing, and once they are swaged onto the bullet’s shank they stead fastly stay in place. All in all, the Vulcan Checks aluminum GCs do a good job of getting a cast bullet down the barrel and accurately on its way. What happens beyond that point depends on the shooter, their ability to estimate range, and read the wind.

btroj
12-15-2014, 12:19 AM
Thanks Rick

.30/30 Guy
12-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Glen needs to try making checks using some of Yonky's aluminum strip. Using good material is a whole different world than using pop cans.

cbrick
12-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Glen needs to try making checks using some of Yonky's aluminum strip. Using good material is a whole different world than using pop cans.

I think you have completely missed the point of the article.

Rick

44man
12-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Very good post Rick. The thickness was my concern from the start so to get good material would solve any problems.
I remember the Harvey Pro Tex things and they did provide a seal, they did not stop boolit skid. But they did seal against gas leakage.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-15-2014, 11:38 AM
The test was with Vulcan's 6.5 aluminum GC made with .013 and .0145 alum.
I did a similar test for Vulcan, but Glen's writeup put's mine to shame.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?230229-Vulcan-Gas-Checks&p=2804500&viewfull=1#post2804500
My test was with 6mm GC made from .010 and .0145 alum.
from my experience making some alum GC's from various sources of alum, and the "looks" of the finished GCs, I'd guess Vulcan is using a flashing type of alum, like Amerimax.

osteodoc08
12-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Love his articles. Well thought out, informative, an overall pleasure.

Thanks for posting Rick.

MrWolf
12-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Great read. Thanks for posting.

dragon813gt
12-15-2014, 11:53 AM
I think you have completely missed the point of the article.

Rick

I don't think he missed it. Glen is saying that aluminium is a proper substitute for copper when it comes to making checks. As long as the thickness is correct for the application. Glen talks about different size shanks and how copper is usually on the larger side to compensate for these variations. I believe what 30/30 Guy is saying that if you buy quality material, from a source like Yonky, you can tailor the checks to your specific application. I never considered soda cans, it's not called Pop here ;) as an option.

The good thing is that he tested aluminium checks and they worked well. His results mirror what a lot of members here have had. If you buy/make the tooling and then buy varying thicknesses of aluminium you can tailor the checks to any application.

nagantguy
12-15-2014, 01:05 PM
Great write up, good info.to have, I know I've been happy with 2 separate batches I've bought from fellow members here made of aluminum.

Glen
12-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Thanks for posting that Rick!

Mugs
12-15-2014, 08:12 PM
The groups in my avatar were shot with aluminum gas checks in a 30BR. Bev shot a 40X40 half size with her 7BR with aluminum checks at the Lasc Extravaganza and was able to do well on the shoot off targets. Rick can verify how tuff LASC's shoot off targets are.

Mugs

tomme boy
12-15-2014, 08:38 PM
Rick, thanks for that. I did not know that was your site. It is a awesome resource. What about try to see at what speeds the copper seems to edge out the aluminum test?

Mugs
12-15-2014, 08:48 PM
Tommy Boy
Those groups in my avatar were shot at 1900 fps. and see no difference between copper and aluminum.
Mugs

cbrick
12-15-2014, 08:59 PM
The groups in my avatar were shot with aluminum gas checks in a 30BR. Bev shot a 40X40 half size with her 7BR with aluminum checks at the Lasc Extravaganza and was able to do well on the shoot off targets. Rick can verify how tuff LASC's shoot off targets are. Mugs

Yeah :mrgreen: Rick is the one that started using the half size targets at 200 for shoot-offs.

Rick can also verify what fine shooter Bev is. :mrgreen:

Glen mentioned that he wants to run a copper vs. aluminum test next spring, that will be another interesting article. I think I agree with Mugs that with proper fitting checks there shouldn't be much if any difference. What has kept me from trying the make your own checks is the thinness of aluminum cans. Seems we now have options to cover that. Options are good! :mrgreen:

Rick

JWFilips
12-15-2014, 09:31 PM
Vulcan makes a respectable product both in Copper & Aluminum from all of my testing. The thing I like about them is they do offer different thicknesses So you have a good bit to work with ( you just have to ask)

Lloyd Smale
12-16-2014, 09:31 AM
if glen says it take it to the bank. In my opinion hes the most knowledgeable cast bullet athourity in the country.

9.3X62AL
12-16-2014, 09:46 AM
If glen says it take it to the bank. In my opinion hes the most knowledgeable cast bullet authority in the country.

Yes, sir. Full agreement with that.

Urny
12-16-2014, 11:13 AM
Thanks for posting the article. Aluminum gas checks are something I've been wanting to try, but the projects pile up, and making my own just isn't of that much interest. Glad to see there's one more option for factory made aluminum checks out there. Think I'll order sample packs in a couple of calibers when I get back from the next Missouri trip.

btroj
12-16-2014, 11:14 AM
if glen says it take it to the bank. In my opinion hes the most knowledgeable cast bullet athourity in the country.

If he isn't then the guy who knows more isn't sharing

tomme boy
12-16-2014, 11:23 AM
My groups tend to run about 1/4" larger with the aluminum checks. They are made out of 0.014" litho plate if I remember right.

Larry Gibson
12-16-2014, 03:22 PM
"The fast twist barrel (1 in 7 ¾”) means that there are limitations, and cast bullets cannot be driven at full throttle (e.g. 140 grain bullets at 2500 fps) with anyhope of accuracy, due to stripping of the soft bullet from the fast twist."

Yup, we sure can "take it to the bank".

Other than that a very fine and informative article.

Larry Gibson

dragon813gt
12-16-2014, 05:47 PM
Let's not bring that discussion into this one. We all know what that leads to.

62chevy
12-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Here we go again.

Maybe twist rate can go on a different thread as I would like to hear more on aluminum gas checks.

9.3X62AL
12-16-2014, 06:07 PM
I'll start the popcorn.

s mac
12-16-2014, 10:08 PM
I would like to add my thanks for posting this Rick. Good stuff.

elwood4884
12-17-2014, 01:06 AM
I think I speak for most of us when I say that reading Glen's articles always teaches me something new I did not know. His articles are routinely loaded with chunks of good information. Every article I have read of his includes detailed statistical information that shows how he reaches his opinion or conclusion.

Glen was mostly responsible for me getting into bullet casting. I had reloaded for years but had never really branched into bullet casting. Reading his material like "From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners" (available on the LASC website at: http://www.lasc.us/articlesfryxell.htm ) pretty much sealed the deal for me on getting into casting.

Thanks again for another informative article.

GaryN
12-17-2014, 01:31 AM
I always like Glen's articles. Thanks Rick.

Walstr
12-17-2014, 03:28 AM
I don't think he missed it. Glen is saying that aluminium is a proper substitute for copper when it comes to making checks. As long as the thickness is correct for the application. Glen talks about different size shanks and how copper is usually on the larger side to compensate for these variations. I believe what 30/30 Guy is saying that if you buy quality material, from a source like Yonky, you can tailor the checks to your specific application. I never considered soda cans, it's not called Pop here ;) as an option.

The good thing is that he tested aluminium checks and they worked well. His results mirror what a lot of members here have had. If you buy/make the tooling and then buy varying thicknesses of aluminium you can tailor the checks to any application.

Not that he needs a lawyer, but your further explanation is zactly what I read into what Glen was saying.

Larry Gibson
12-17-2014, 12:06 PM
cbrick

I'm only saying this once as there's no need for any further discussion.

You "missed the point".

The article is a very fine article as I said. It is an excellent review and endorsement of Vulcan 6.5 aluminum GCs done to Mr. Fryxell's usual high standards. However, there is nothing new in the article regarding the use of aluminum GCs nor how well they work. GC makers, for use with aluminum, were available 50+ years ago from Dixie, Herter's, Numrich(?) . The Freechex and Pat Marlin's along with other types of GC makers using aluminum from cans, flashing, etc. have been available for many years also. Many tests using aluminum GCs in various calibers and cartridges including the 6.5 Swede have been done and posted on this forum for many years. Mr. Fryxell's article is an excellent review and product endorsement. To those who are unaware of aluminum GC use the article is probably instructive though.

The "other than that" was made clear by the bold font of; "due to stripping of the soft bullet from the fast twist." We have known for a long time that the faster twists of the 6.5 Swede, in particular, inaccuracy at 2500 fps (+/-) is not due to the "stripping of the soft bullet". We have known for a long time that cast bullets do not "strip" at even higher velocities than 2500 fps. They may initially skid a bit but they do not "strip". That is a myth that has been disproven for quite some time. No need for further discussion as the information is well documented in numerous 6.5 Swede threads on this forum and in numerous other modern knowledgeable sources.

Other than that a very fine and informative article.

Larry Gibson

MtGun44
12-18-2014, 01:02 AM
Thanks Glen for the testing, and Rick for posting.

Bill

selpaw
12-18-2014, 06:26 PM
I use FreeChecs made from aluminum printing sheets obtained from my local newspaper. They are used and available for a contribution to a local charity. My dies will allow me to make double thickness checs for my 270. They fit tightly and look good. Now I won't claim you save any money if your time is worth minimum wage but I never believed that's what I was into reloading for. I also use one designed to fit 457122HP PB. I size the 30-1 bullets to 453 for my 45 Colt. Excellent accuracy and great expansion. Selpaw

harley45
12-19-2014, 05:24 PM
I love Glenn's articles and the fact he is so willing to share his knowledge. I've been playing with aluminum gas checks in my 10MM on Plain Base bulllets and have also had very good luck

Larry Gibson
12-19-2014, 07:28 PM
I appreciate Mr. Fryxell's articles too, always have. We all have believed some things that turn out to be myths in this cast bullet endeavor. Just because someone we appreciate repeats a myth doesn't mean everything they've said is wrong. We all need to learn and correct ourselves and our misbeliefs in myths.

Larry Gibson

rsrocket1
12-19-2014, 10:34 PM
For anyone who missed the free test checks, Vulcan still offers a "sample pack". I just ordered the 30 cal sample pack which contains 25 of each type of check for $1.50 postage paid. I assume that means 25 each of the thick and thin Aluminum checks. 1k for $24 shipped isn't too bad either. I'll try these on my .308's that I've pushed to 2400 fps and my .314" 7.62x54R's too.

303Guy
12-19-2014, 11:40 PM
GC makers, for use with aluminum, were available 50+ years ago from Dixie, Herter's, Numrich(?)Really? I thought aluminium checks were a new(ish) thing! Is there nothing left to newly discover?

I confess I haven't read Glenn's article yet but those articles I have read I enjoyed. He seems like a great guy and certainly very knowledgeable and down to earth. It's good to know there folks out there advancing our hobby and educating us too.