PDA

View Full Version : Work/hunting boots?

oldred
12-14-2014, 01:03 PM
I have always been a Redwings fan, it was Redwings or nothing, but now that I have retired I am considering something a bit less expensive if I can find something of decent quality but that's proving to be a problem. First off it seems most are "waterproof" but I learned long ago that waterproof shoes are a gimmick, I HATE waterproof boots! I suppose Gortex waterproof is not so bad and I would consider those, seems the Gortex (whatever that is) don't seem to last long anyway but at least it will let the boot ventilate unlike whatever it is used to waterproof most (read Chinese) boots. So what do you guys like best? Something that's comfortable and won't sweat/rot your feet like most waterproof boots on the market today?

If I can't find a suitable substitute I suppose I will just have to bite the bullet and buy a new pair of Redwings.

GoodOlBoy
12-14-2014, 01:15 PM
I know I am going to catch heck for them being low end, but I use Brahma light brown leather lace up work boots from wal-mart for most of my hunting and field work. Always have. They are comfortable, they are not waterproof (you can get them that way I just dont) and despite being $30 a pair I have gotten five to six years minimum out of every pair I have ever owned.

GoodOlBoy

TXGunNut
12-14-2014, 01:20 PM
I don't wear work boots enough to justify a pair of Red Wings but my local RW store carries the imported Worx line and I bought a pair recently for weekend warrior duties. They seem to be doing well. I have insulated boots that I reserve for hunting duty.

starmac
12-14-2014, 02:03 PM
I have had extremely good luck with double h boots. It seems like they never wear out.

BRobertson
12-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Wesco Boots, custom made to fit my stupid feet!!!! 12EEEE

Expensive , but really worth it for backpacking, and packing meat out, sheep and goat hunting, etc!!!

Bob

Love Life
12-14-2014, 02:18 PM
Carhartt Wellingtons. They are water proof, but breath through the top. I have worn them for over 4 years in swampy climates, forested areas, and high desert. Comfortable, durable, and $120.00.

jmort
12-14-2014, 02:22 PM
I like the Wellington style as well and have been wearing Chippewa for many moons.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server4700/jeuqghcc/products/387/images/1386/25216__61372.1407842468.420.420.jpg?c=2 (http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server4700/jeuqghcc/products/387/images/1386/25216__61372.1407842468.1280.1280.jpg?c=2)Larger / More Photos (http://www.americanmadeworkboots.com/waterproof/chippewa-25216/#)

kenyerian
12-14-2014, 02:45 PM
http://www.rockyboots.com/rocky-mens-boots/rocky-ironclad-waterproof-wellington-work-boot/FQ0005685.html?dwvar_FQ0005685_color=24#start=1 These are my favorite pair of wellingtons. My favorite lace up hunting boots are the Danner Pronghorns. These are handled by Cabelas ,

Mike in TX
12-14-2014, 06:39 PM
Danner Pronghorns are my favorite. I have had a pair for 3 years with very little noticed wear.

Pb2au
12-14-2014, 06:49 PM
Justin boots, rugged bay Gaucho.
My current pair is two years old. I'm on my feet around 12 hours minimum on concrete, and or jumping in and out of machines.
the soles are grippy even on oilly floors and the leather holds up well.
I oil mine every month and are waterproof.
around 160$ bucks I think, made in America and are very comfortable.

shooter93
12-14-2014, 06:56 PM
I understand your cost concerns but never skimp on footwear. Your on your feet a lot. I've been working construction for 50 years and learned quickly to take very good care of your feet. Good boots are worth the money. Average the cost of the year or two you get out of them and they are cheap.

oldred
12-14-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm taking notes here, my wife and I are going to go boot shopping tomorrow for both of us, plan on going by Bass pro and a couple of other places to see what I can find. I notice that Bass pro has the Danner Pronghorns so I will check out those while there. Also I will be using these for working here on the farm and that entails a lot of welding so a high-top lace up boot is a necessity.

starmac
12-14-2014, 07:53 PM
I don't do a lot of welding anymore, but did for years and I am just the opposite. I want a pair of high top wellington style. When I was a kid I watched my dad try to get some lace up high top boots off in a hurry when a piece of slag burn't through, and it took entirely to long to get them off. Made for onr heck of a nasty burn, so I always figured a little burn was much, much better than a major one, even if a little more often. lol

MaryB
12-15-2014, 01:32 AM
If your wife wants a good hiking type boot I bought a pair of Columbia 2 years ago for winter wear and for when I am in the workshop. Comfortable, good support http://www.sportsauthority.com/COLUMBIA-Womens-Newton-Ridge-Hiking-Shoes/product.jsp?productId=11979875&cpncode=39-11529469-2&srccode=cii_17588969

http://www.sportsauthority.com/graphics/product_images/pTSA-11063606p275w.jpg

lefty o
12-15-2014, 02:18 AM
whatever looks well made and is comfortable, thats all. my last pair of redwings were ok, but werent worth the price tag, especially since they were made in china!

GaryN
12-15-2014, 02:31 AM
I have a lightweight pair of new balance walking shoes with gortex and a pretty aggressive tread. I use them for most of my walking around. If I am getting serious and going up into the steep stuff to hunt I use a heavier boot with a deep lug sole. They weigh a little more but it can be down right dangerous slipping and sliding down the steep slopes. They have gortex too. The gortex usually lasts a couple of years before they start to leak a little.

Bulltipper
12-15-2014, 02:35 AM
Danner Acadia for work, Belleville for hunting, Xtra Tuff for fishing.

tomme boy
12-15-2014, 08:25 AM
Danner! Some are made in China, some are made here. You have to look. The ones made here can be resoled but not the China ones at the Danner factory.

mtnman31
12-15-2014, 08:53 AM
I use my good, old military issued boots. The current ones are rough out leather and Cordura with steel toes. They are comfortable for my feet, although not every one's feet like military boots. They last and are fairly durable - current pair is going on 10 or 11 years old, although they are pretty much at the end of their life. They are not water-proof, just water resistant. If you live near a base, you could pick up a pair at a surplus store for anywhere from 30-85 bucks. Lightly used being on the lower end of the price range. A new pair will require a break in period and your foot type may benefit from a good pair of in-soles. I don't use the work boots much for hunting, just work.
For hunting, I have a pair of nice hiking boots. Not the low end, light weight ones, I mean a traditional pair of all leather, heavy duty hiking boots, suitable for mountaineering. They fit perfect and have an aggressive tread. They are above the ankle and completely waterproof. They are the Cadillacs of my footwear, super comfortable but also a bit heavy. They are around 15 years old, but don't see daily use. They weren't cheap, but worth every penny. If you are thrifty and looking for a bargain, still get good boots, just find them on sale or clearance. Don't let weight be a deciding factor. In my opinion and experience, it pretty much goes without exception that the ultra-light footwear sacrifices either longevity or comfort. Leather is heavy and a long-lasting rubber sole is heavy.

foesgth
12-15-2014, 11:47 AM
You might want to sign up for the Danner Breakroom(
https://www.hitthebreakroom.com/customer/account/login/. They have closeout boots at great prices.

Harter66
12-15-2014, 12:18 PM
I bought a lot of boots over the years and bar none you've already been in the best. I do have a pair of Danners insulated that are in fact waterproof with in normal use ,not wadding for hours but creek crossing and the like the 3rd day of 10-12 hours of snow hiking took a toll but I honestly can't say if it was outside in or not. The US Red Wings and Irish Setters are $10 more in the Reno store . I've had 10 pairs or so in the last 20 years . I love the setters upland as long as I avoid concrete like the plague. Those are in their 4 the season of hogs deer elk and assorted small game. They are comfortable from the 80s to the 30s. The most recent pair of work boots are Red Wing hikers (I didn't expect to be back to work permanent) the 2nd day on concrete they remind me why I bought the higher end 8" boots that I wore for so long . I've been in the Hikers for 5 month and aside from normal sole wear on the fat lug/gap sole I'm pretty happy in these today it's 35 degrees but it was 90+throughout July and August. At least from where I stand go with the lined boot ......always,everytime,it makes a world of difference in daily comfort.

Bulltipper
12-15-2014, 08:13 PM
I always look, USA or bust baby. They can keep their chinese ****.

jmort
12-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Chippewa made in USA as well as Justin

TXGunNut
12-16-2014, 12:50 AM
I miss the Rocky 911 boots of a few decades back. Light, sturdy and tough as nails.

Lloyd Smale
12-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Im a big redwing fan myself but used to find wolverine boots a bit cheaper. I don't know about now but back then there were every bit as good as redwings. These were my leasure boots. I was a lineman and had to climb and boots were very important to us and most of us wore west coast boots for that. Very high quality but not cheap.

19112TAP
12-16-2014, 09:37 AM
My everyday boot is a pair of Wesco's they fit like a glove stand up to everything I can give them and still look like new after four years.

oldred
12-16-2014, 09:47 AM
Well after shopping around I settled on another pair of Red Wings (474) but unfortunately they are made in China. There are indeed some decent boots out there, I particularly liked the Danners, but in the end I found the Red Wings for less money. It really sticks me that these things say "made in China" on them but then so did most of the other boots I looked at, yes VERY good quality USA boots are out there and all things considered the price is fair but at my age and physical condition I think the Chinese Red Wings at $159.00 was the most "band -for-the-buck" but time will tell.

Edster
12-16-2014, 10:02 AM
Wienbrenner/Thorogood boots are all I wear. They are one of the very last AMERICAN made boots. http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/
One plus for me is that they are the only company that actually make WIDE boots. They have widths up to H, which for folks that don't have to buy canoes for shoes is a EEEE. Yes that is 4E. I have been wearing them now for close to 10 years and they are a great boot. I know that in the American Heritage line if you order Waterproof, it is not a coating but an actual layer of waterproof material in the layers of the boot. Their prices are considerably lower that that of Redwings, and others that are no longer "Made in America"
If you are interested in them you can purchase them online thru http://thebootpro.com

Just for the record I have no ties or interests in either company. I am just a very satisfied customer!!!! Now that I have said all this I just remembered that I need to order a pair of boots!!

Forgot to mention that they also offer discounts to Union members and Veterans!!!

NoAngel
12-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Plenty of work boots in Furgeson! Not a single pair stolen during the riots. :bigsmyl2:

jmort
12-16-2014, 10:46 AM
^ Nice

oldred
12-16-2014, 12:41 PM
Plenty of work boots in Furgeson! Not a single pair stolen during the riots. :bigsmyl2:

I bet no yard and garden tools were stolen either!

FlatTop45LC
12-16-2014, 01:27 PM
I have worn Timberland the last few years for work and play. My next pair will be three pairs...

Thorogood steel toes, LL Bean Rubber boots for wet days and LL Bean Engineer boots for when I am around my office.

dualsport
12-16-2014, 01:36 PM
"Any where but China" baby. Spread the word. Buying Chinese stuff is stupid. EDIT: GUILTY! Not trying to say I haven't or won't ever buy Chinese made stuff. Just pushing the "Anywhere but China" idea, hoping it catches on.

MT Gianni
12-16-2014, 08:04 PM
Whites Hawthorn are costly, hold up OK but not as well as they used to. I got 10 years hard use with a resole out of my first ones and only 7 years with a resole out of the last ones. The last eight months I have been in a chinese made Northside hiker. I doubt I will get a year out of them, with 2 years to go to retirement I am not sure what I will do for the next pair.

Okie73
12-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Wienbrenner/Thorogood boots are all I wear. They are one of the very last AMERICAN made boots. http://www.weinbrennerusa.com/
One plus for me is that they are the only company that actually make WIDE boots. They have widths up to H, which for folks that don't have to buy canoes for shoes is a EEEE. Yes that is 4E. I have been wearing them now for close to 10 years and they are a great boot. I know that in the American Heritage line if you order Waterproof, it is not a coating but an actual layer of waterproof material in the layers of the boot. Their prices are considerably lower that that of Redwings, and others that are no longer "Made in America"
If you are interested in them you can purchase them online thru http://thebootpro.com

Just for the record I have no ties or interests in either company. I am just a very satisfied customer!!!! Now that I have said all this I just remembered that I need to order a pair of boots!!

Forgot to mention that they also offer discounts to Union members and Veterans!!!

Big +1 on Thorogood boots! I don't like any kind of liner in my boots and Thorogood makes that possible. They have the absolute softest most comfortable leather I've ever put around my feet. Be warned not all of their boots are made in the U.S.

C. Latch
12-16-2014, 10:21 PM
I really like my ECCO boots but the learher seams weren't water resistant enough, for long enough, so about 2 years ago I switched to Lowa boots. I make a living on my feet and the Lowas are wonderful.

I have 3 pairs of them, my favorite is this one:

www.lowaboots.com/catalog/zephyr-desert-mid-tf/3105350411/8

CLAYPOOL
12-16-2014, 10:24 PM
CHIPPEWA 8 inch logger boots. They support your ankles and they ARE water proof. I bought a big size for my shoe inserts and they are performing flawlessly. Read the 287 remarks in Amazon about them and spend the $ 16.00 for the "IRON" laces. They are standing up under me. Nuff said... You won't regret these... Your back will also tell you what a great support system they are..!!!!

MarkP
12-16-2014, 10:43 PM

Thanks -- I have size 15's not much selection out there even online.

starmac
12-17-2014, 03:41 AM
I was wondering when someone would suggest, or mention whites.

chg
12-17-2014, 11:28 AM
I still wear Whites and I'm retired. Have one pair of Whites vibram soled that have rebuilt twice, I doubt they will even consider another rebuild. Also have a pair of Whites insulated caulked packs. Went to Nicks for leather caulks, just seem to fit so much better and don't stretch the leather out walking on side hills. I used to wear Vasque Sundowners as a nice light chukkar hunting boot. the last pair I bought were made in China and pure junk. No Chinese boots and no Chinese knives for this kid.