PDA

View Full Version : LCR/90Gr Shooting Low

LocoPatrick
12-14-2014, 12:43 AM
Howdy, Folks,

Longtime lurker. First post.

I have a Lyman 90gr .358 mold, and have created some loads for my wife's Ruger LCR in .38sp. The LCR hits dead on with factory ammo, usually 124gr loads. I wanted to try and create a lightweight load for my wife to get used to shooting and become proficient.

The loads chronograph at ~750fps, but they hit 3" or 4" low at 7 yards. 7 yards isn't enough distance to get significant bullet. I have a theory as to what might be causing this, and I want to see if you agree.

A firearm begins recoiling as soon as the bullet starts to move (equal and opposite reaction). The sights are calibrated to a heavier bullet. With the lighter bullet, the revolver recoils less, leading to less muzzle flip, meaning the revolver is not pointing as high when the bullet leaves the muzzle as when a heavier load is used. Therefore, the point of impact is lower.

Does this hold water with other people's experience?

Tatume
12-14-2014, 08:41 AM
You are correct. Switch to a heavier bullet and you'll bring point of impact up.

dubber123
12-14-2014, 09:14 AM
As Tatume says, you are right on the money. Other than going to a heavier boolit, the only thing that will make it shoot higher will be to slow it down and add barrel time.

My .475 linebaugh prints a 440 gr. boolit at 1,300+ fps. and a 400 gr. boolit at 550 fps. very close together at 50 yds. The ridiculously slow velocity was my best attempt at getting a full power and plinker load to shoot to the same point of impact.

bedbugbilly
12-14-2014, 09:49 AM
LocoPatrick - I have the same problem. I started loading up some Lee 358-105 SWC in 38 spl just for general plinking out of my J frame Model 36s - snub and 3". I don't have a crony but I'm hitting about the same as you. I easily corrected it by basically using "Kentucky windage" - i.e. raise the muzzle up which of course changes the sight picture. I'm used to shooting SA revolvers and adjusting the sight picture for different rounds so it wasn't a big deal for me - but - if your wife is fairly new to shooting it could cause some confusion in going between rounds and POI.

I play with 38 Colt Shrots a lot as well with the 105 gr. SWC - another fun plinking round with less powder than in a 38 spl. - however - out of my J frames, I pretty much get the same result and have to raise the front sight.

I guess there would be two ways to approach it - I raise the front sight in the sight picture . . or, you could aim higher on the target using normal sight picture. I had a LCR in 357 but only shot 38s in it - it was a nice shooting revolver but I'd rather carry a Model 36. I'm sure your wife would probably enjoy the lighter recoil of the practice rounds instead of "hammering" her hand - maybe switch to a 148 gr. WC and see how it shoots and how she does with the number of rounds she is firing for practice? At SD range, I used to have good luck with my LCR using the "old standard" of 2.7 gr of Bulls Eye and a 148 gr WC and could easily shoot 150 or so rounds at a range session without hammering the hand too much.

As already noted - a heavier boolit should raise your POI but if you're like me, I like being conservative on my lead and powder. LOL Good luck and I hope you'll post on what you come up with.

bobthenailer
12-15-2014, 08:00 AM
As a general rule heavier bullets shoot higher, lighter bullets shoot lower . as stated by Tatum

sw282
12-15-2014, 08:16 AM
l believe the technical term is ''dwell time''. Lighter/faster bullets spend less time in the barrel.

gwpercle
12-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Just aim higher.