PDA

View Full Version : No Joy for Ohio deer season with the rifle

Wolfgang
12-13-2014, 11:05 PM
Didn't even get the chance to take the safety off of the 77/357 stoked up with NOE 360-180 FP. Really wanted to take one with my son this year since Ohio finally allowed the rifle to be used. My boy told me we would zap one with the muzzle loader so I shouldn't worry about it! He is pretty upbeat about the whole thing. He asked me if we could go squirrel hunting this afternoon and I couldn't say no since he hadn't had too many chances to go this year. He got one with an assist from Dad and the second was all him. I was proud of him for what he told me when he retrieved the second squirrel. Not a cast bullet video but here it is if anyone cares to watch.:-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlrbOuhakPs&list=UUyEPUZMSYiTdy51Dj6IeUHA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlrbOuhakPs&list=UUyEPUZMSYiTdy51Dj6IeUHA)

Wolfgang

skeettx
12-14-2014, 12:23 AM
JOY, OH JOY !!
You have a WINNER there
the Son is AWESOME
Thank you for sharing
Mike

osteodoc08
12-14-2014, 03:08 AM
That is just awesome! Memories to last a lifetime. Congrats to you and son. May you have many more enjoyable hunts such as this!

Wolfgang
12-14-2014, 11:05 AM
I think he's a keeper! He is growing up fast and seems to be well on his way to understanding what's truly important and most importantly, who to thank for it. Respect for firearms and what they can do as well as respect for game animals of any size has been instilled in him from day one and it is paying off. He told me that when he gets older and gets the things he needs, he will buy a big woods so he he can take me hunting! I am do to retire in 30 days so I hope to have more time to spend with him doing these things.

bikerbeans
12-14-2014, 02:29 PM
Wolfgang,

Congrats to your son!

BTW, how does your ruger bolt gun shoot at 100 yards?

thanks

BB

Roundnoser
12-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Nice Job! Couple more squirrels like that and you'll have a fine dinner! For what it's worth, I used to quarter my squirrels fry them in oil and then toss them in hot wing sauce. Good stuff.

4719dave
12-14-2014, 08:02 PM
yes sir fine young man there ...

Wolfgang
12-15-2014, 12:00 AM
Wolfgang,

Congrats to your son!

BTW, how does your ruger bolt gun shoot at 100 yards?

thanks

BB

Shoots good. I can manage about an inch and a half to an inch and three quarter group off a rest if I do my part. That's with a near max load of H110. Not too much time to work on load testing with work and retirement preparation. I did do some trigger work on it though. Had a really heavy, gritty trigger from the factory. Breaks right at three pounds now could go lighter but don't see any need to.

Thanks to all for the kind words for my boy! :-P

oldsagerat
12-24-2014, 07:21 PM
You deserve a big pat on the back for starting a kid right. This experience will last him a whole lifetime.
It is so rare to see a kid having fun without a cell phone, a tablet computer, or a TV remote control. He is
not doing drugs or smoking dope. He's handling a gun well. Keep up the good work!

catncarp
12-27-2014, 08:51 AM
Congrats on having a great son

pworley1
12-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Those are the times you never forget.

44man
12-30-2014, 02:10 PM
I miss the big fox squirrels and the huge shagbark hickory, beautiful woods of Ohio. Huge beech trees too.
My old places are gone now, old strip mine areas full of deer. Salt Fork still a good bet but deer went into restricted areas.
All the farms I hunted, most of the friends have passed.
I still miss Ohio.

LAH
12-30-2014, 02:58 PM
That was great.

Wolfgang
01-01-2015, 01:16 PM
Thanks again for all of the replies everyone. I would also like to wish everyone a Happy and Safe New Year. The boy and I will be out bright and early tomorrow to see if we can put a little venison in the freezer with a muzzle loader both he and I are looking forward to it. My New Years morning awoke with the dogs letting me know that there was a problem outside at about 7 a.m. Upon investigating what all the commotion was about, I see about eight Amish fellows and my contractor outside getting started on my new building! He told me it would be the first of the year and he surly is a man of his word! This will be where my shop will reside and my gunsmithing business will be set up eventually. I will have a spot set up specifically for casting out there as well. The sectioned off portion of the basement will now be devoted to just reloading. I am excited about it and the boy is worse than I am! He is constantly asking to learn about these sorts of things and I am hoping that some day this will be work that he takes to and can make something of.

44man
01-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Ohio is great but hunting areas get smaller. Have to resort to public hunting more and more. Old strip mines I used to hunt near Cadiz have been stripped again and reclaimed but are sold off to hunt clubs and farms. There were larger deer and more of them when the high walls and rough country was there. I used to hunt near Cadiz off route 22 and where my bigfoot encounter was. The grassman is really there.