PDA

View Full Version : 22 ammo by the pallet load

FISH4BUGS
12-13-2014, 09:05 PM
I was in the Kittery Trading Post (Kittery Maine - just across the river from Portsmouth NH on US Route 1) today picking up some powder dies for the Dillon 550b. Guess what? 2 pallets of CCI 22lr 300 packs on the floor. $29.95 each (plus the 5% sales tax) and no limit. Of course I bought one.
10 cents a round for 22's. Man, what has this world come to?
I remember when I was a kid in the late 50's and early 60's we would buy a brick (500) of 22's for I think 5 bucks and shoot all day. I guess those days are truly gone for good.
Thank goodness I cast now.

BrassMagnet
12-13-2014, 09:36 PM
That would buy a nice dinner back then, too.
Our dollar is worth very little now.
Just think how much the value has gone down since the Fed was created.

fatelk
12-13-2014, 09:59 PM
I've been seeing it more myself, a little here and there. I even found a can of 2400 powder today too, for a more realistic price than I've seen for a couple years.

I would never have believed that this silly panic/shortage would have lasted this long. I thought for sure that the bubble would have popped long ago, like the AR rifle bubble. It's pretty clear by now that this bubble won't pop. It may slowly deflate, but it's not going to pop. :)

DCM
12-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Getting better but still pricey IMO.

atr
12-13-2014, 10:12 PM
I think the cost of components really depends alot on where you buy....for instance...some shops here in the seattle area,,cabelas etc are selling powder for $35/ lb....but over east of the mountains the same powder goes for $24/lb....needless to say I buy alot east of the mountains when I am over there. Also, I have bought powder along the I5 corrider from WA, to OR, to CA....and prices vary with the most expensive being in CA.

jcwit
12-13-2014, 10:16 PM
That would buy a nice dinner back then, too.
Our dollar is worth very little now.
Just think how much the value has gone down since the Fed was created.

Had Thanksgiving Dinner with the whole family at Cracker Barrel a few weeks ago, $9.99 a person.

Mayhap you do not consider Cracker Barrel a "nice" restaurant tho.

osteodoc08
12-13-2014, 10:20 PM
When the market becomes saturated, prices will fall a little more. Be patient. Just look at the prices on black rifles and associated "stuff"

jcwit
12-13-2014, 10:31 PM
YUP! People said gas would never go down to where it is, it's going lower yet too.

mac60
12-13-2014, 10:36 PM
I would have taken 1 home with me. I haven't seen so much as a 50 rd. box for sale anywhere in a good long while.

dragon813gt
12-13-2014, 10:39 PM
YUP! People said gas would never go down to where it is, it's going lower yet too.

There are many reasons for this. And they are all international. One of which is to curb our domestic production. Exploration and extraction is expensive where we are currently drilling for it. Hurts profits if they can't charge as much for it. I know this is off topic but it's more than a supply and demand issue that is causing the price of gas to decline.

montana_charlie
12-13-2014, 10:40 PM
I was in the Kittery Trading Post (Kittery Maine - just across the river from Portsmouth NH on US Route 1) today picking up some powder dies for the Dillon 550b. Guess what? 2 pallets of CCI 22lr 300 packs on the floor. $29.95 each (plus the 5% sales tax) and no limit. Of course I bought one.
What is the stated velocity of the ammo in those bulk packs?
Is that really 300 rounds per pack ... or 375?

tomme boy
12-13-2014, 10:41 PM
There has been NO price increase on any ammo, powder, primers in the last two years from the manufacturers. Just remember this folks. It is the distributors and dealers doing it.

RayinNH
12-13-2014, 10:44 PM
Donald apparently they haven't sold too many as those two pallets were there two weeks ago at those prices and no purchase limit. I passed.

rondog
12-13-2014, 10:44 PM
Yep, it's coming back, slowly but surely. Been seeing it more and more often, and I'm rarely in places that sell ammo. I believe once the supply is back, the prices will go down too. Supply and demand. Supply comes back, demand will go down, prices will drop in competition. Then I'll stock up, hopefully before the next nut-with-a-gun mass "event".

oldred
12-13-2014, 10:54 PM
Hopefully there will be a snowball effect as the hoarders start to lose interest then maybe as demand drops prices might actually drop a bit below what it was before the panic, many thousands of buyers may not be buying for a while if they are sitting on huge supplies. As long as the "git-it-while-ya-still-can" attitude persists so will the shortage but when folks start seeing ammo sitting on the shelves maybe (or not) they will shoot some of what they have instead of buying more and this might (or not) lead to decent pricing but personally I doubt we will ever again see pre-panic pricing except for sales and promotions.

oldred
12-13-2014, 10:58 PM
I remember when I was a kid in the late 50's and early 60's we would buy a brick (500) of 22's for I think 5 bucks and shoot all day. I guess those days are truly gone for good.

$5 would buy a LOT of things in the 50's that $29.00 won't buy today!

montana_charlie
12-13-2014, 10:58 PM
It's a 300 round pack of standard 36gr cci mini mag, stated velocity is 1260fps. Great consistent round. The pack is thin cardboard/paper with 3- 100 round sleeves inside minus the nice plastic outter case that the sleeve fits in. The box has tabs that are folded up that hold the 'sleeve' up and keep them from emptying out the shells in the box, kinda flimsy overall.
Thanks for the full description.

CM

Charley
12-13-2014, 11:25 PM
Bought the same pack here yesterday for $23.99. Starting to show up more often.

KMac
12-13-2014, 11:50 PM
I have seen a lot of CCI 22's recently in the Dallas area lately. It is still around .10 a shell though so I have not bought any since I have about a 6 month stash. However I have got a 12 year old son that would shoot as many as you let him. He can unload his Marlin Model 99 faster than you can reload it. I have started seeing quite a bit of powder lately too. Bought 2 pounds of Unique, 4 pounds of Varget, 2 pounds of 4227 and a pound of Green Dot all in the last month. It is all still around $30 a pound here but I am buying it any ways. Doing without for so long makes you go ahead and bite the boolit. Not seeing a lot of pistol powder, but pretty full shelves of Rifle powder.

Hardcast416taylor
12-13-2014, 11:57 PM
Back in `61 $13 bought me my first No4 Lee Enfield thru the mail from Spiegels catalog in Chicago. Another $8 got me 100 rounds of Mil. ammo.Robert

MaryB
12-14-2014, 02:22 AM
Last 22lr I bought was a 1,000 round double brick for $50

Hannibal
12-14-2014, 04:14 AM
2 pallets of CCI 22lr 300 packs on the floor. $29.95 each (plus the 5% sales tax) and no limit.

Silly me! And here I thought 'Limits' applied to wild game!

375supermag
12-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Hi...

.22LR has been available at around 8 cents a round for standard velocity loadings for a couple of months around here with no per day limits at most gun shops.

Still haven't seen any when I check out Wally World.

If I shop around a bit I can find pretty much whatever I want (for a price) for the last couple of months, so availability has improved quite a bit.

I have only bought a couple of 100rd boxes...my stash remains in the several thousand round area despite a couple of 500-1000 round excursions to the gun club with my son and his H&K semiautomatic .22LR carbine.

After the holidays, I believe I will procure a few thousand more rounds to bolster my stash heading into the spring shooting season.

As far as powders go, I have a few reloading sessions planned over my employer's two-week holiday shutdown period. I suspect those activities will significantly diminish my handgun powder inventory, which currently sits at somewhere north of 24 full 1lb containers of various powders and partial containers of most of the popular powders.

I am currently sitting on over 16,000 handgun primers of various types and manufacturers. I fear most of those may well be consumed over the next month or so, as I have well over a thousand each of .45ACP, .38Special, 9mm and .357Mag cases to load, as well as multilpe hundreds of .45AutoRim, .44Spl, .44Mag, .41Mag and .45Colt to load as well.

Each year I try to do the majority of my handgun reloading for the spring and early summer shooting season over the Christmas/New Year's holiday vacation period. It usually works out pretty well, however by mid-June I am usually looking at a huge pile of cases to prep for the rest of the summer's shooting excursions.

I generally take a couple of vacation days off work each year in early summer to re-build my inventory of reloaded ammunition.

I do case cleaning, re-sizing and de-priming, primer pocket cleaning and re-priming on a pretty continuous basis all year round, so that I always have a substantial amount of brass ready to load at almost any time for any given caliber.

bdicki
12-14-2014, 10:21 AM
$5 would buy a LOT of things in the 50's that $29.00 won't buy today!
My father bought a new 1964 Chevelle convertible for $2400.00, a new Chevy Malibu now is around $26,000 so X 10 a $5 brick would be $50.

Petrol & Powder
12-14-2014, 11:10 AM
El cheapo .22 rimfire cartridges are plentiful and the prices are accordingly coming down as the supply goes up. I recently found a brick of Remington Standard Velocity target rounds (blue label Remington) which have been scarce. Because there is a very small market for the standard velocity target rounds as compared to the regular plinking rounds, I was happy to find it and willing to pay the price. It appeared to be an older box and likely had been in storage for some time. They were slightly more expensive than the pre-panic price but still less expensive than Eley target ammo and It shoots exceptionally well in my Remington 541T.

The market for .22 rimfire appears to have reached saturation and I'm seeing people attempting to sell their horded stash at high prices. Considering the competition from regular retailers, it's going to be impossible to justify those high asking prices. There's going to be a LOT of folks that purchased high priced 22's at the peak of the panic that will not be able to sell those at a profit now. That bubble has burst my friend.

SteveS
12-14-2014, 11:29 AM
I was able to buy Federal Target Grade Performance, 325rd packs for $17 this past summer at LGS.

I found a couple of bricks (500rd) of American Eagle high velocity, 40 gr. solids for $23.99 each over the summer too.

For the price KTP is asking, I'd let them sit on it.

Plate plinker
12-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Ha ha screw those hoarders that wish to sell.

Thinking normalization on 22lr by mid summer?

SteveS
12-14-2014, 11:37 AM

That might be a little optimistic but I hope so.

montana_charlie
12-14-2014, 01:39 PM
I'm seeing people attempting to sell their horded stash at high prices. Considering the competition from regular retailers, it's going to be impossible to justify those high asking prices.
... good ...

MarkP
12-14-2014, 03:04 PM
My father bought a new 1964 Chevelle convertible for $2400.00, a new Chevy Malibu now is around $26,000 so X 10 a $5 brick would be $50.

My Dad always would equate starting teacher salaries and new cars, and would tell me about his friend (fellow teacher) that bought a brand new 64 Chevelle convertible and it was about his annual starting salary.

TXGunNut
12-14-2014, 04:18 PM

Wish I knew. This thing has taken on a life of it's own and has outlived every prediction I tried to make. I'm encouraged by the return of select components to the shelves but modern mass media promotion of the hoarding mentality has trumped my understanding of the age-old laws of supply and demand. Oddly enough, I think it's good for the industry and our country.

FISH4BUGS
12-14-2014, 04:30 PM
What is the stated velocity of the ammo in those bulk packs?
Is that really 300 rounds per pack ... or 375?

It is the CCI 22lr "AR Tactical" round. 40 grain copper plated round nose @ 1200 fps. 300 round pack.

montana_charlie
12-14-2014, 04:51 PM
It is the CCI 22lr "AR Tactical" round. 40 grain copper plated round nose @ 1200 fps. 300 round pack.
Oh!
So it wasn't the hollow point Mini Mags.
That makes a notable difference.

CM

shooter93
12-14-2014, 07:05 PM
I'm going to hate it when I need to buy 22 ammo again. The last I bought was some Remington and Federal. Some of us got together one Spring and bought cases of the stuff for 109 bucks per 5000 rounds. I still have a few cases left but it's going to be a shock to do that the next time I'm sure.

butch2570
12-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Take a look on gunbot, 22 l r is getting to be a common found item again ,not down into the 20 something dollar range yet, but it isn't $80-$100 either. I hope all the flippers sit on their stashes until they turn green with corrosion. And all you fellas remember which ones were laying it to us in the height of this fiasco , and don't buy one single item from them now.

starmac
12-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Throughout this whole 22 ammo fiasco, the price at our stores has never got to the 30's for a 500 round brick yet except, for wallmart, who very seldom gets any to sell at any price. 26.99 to 28.99 depending on brand is the highest I have seen at sportsmans. CCI is higher, but that is in 100 round packs.

Plate plinker
12-14-2014, 09:10 PM
We had the 22 tactical LRN, the 22 CPRN, and the Mini Mags, all the same style 300rnd pack and all the same price.

I don't suppose the gooberment can keep from their meddling, so I suppose some other fiasco will happen before spring/summer that will scare everybody else again. (Yes, I know, I'm like a ray of sunshine with my optimism). Come spring all the casual shooters will be thinking gopher season and will be trying to buy what they can, most of which have little to any, and when they see it they'll buy twice as much as they usually did.

I got into a pocket of gophers I was trying to clean out and the ground was crawling with the lil buggers, I went through ~1100rnds in about 6-8hrs. That is out of the norm though. Should of just poisoned them, but it was great practice.

That must have been a lot of gophers. How many did you wack?

texassako
12-14-2014, 09:18 PM
I was sort of shocked to finally find some .22 Shorts locally. 3.99/box of 50, but I started restoring a boys rifle over a year ago only to realize I couldn't test fire it without some shorts. I was starting to think everybody stopped bothering to carry them with little demand and no availability for a long time.

C.I.D
12-14-2014, 09:46 PM
Ya 10-12 cent each here as well... Honestly its just as much to shoot my blackout or 556 now days .

But I enjoy taking my daughter out with her 22 I have a ammo can full I been lucky keepibg it topped off as we shoot for her.

MaryB
12-15-2014, 01:17 AM
Stopped at the bank Friday for a new calendar and someone had an ad up on the swap board for 22lr at $90/500. I still had my receipt from the last I bough at $25/500 so I thumb tacked it under his ad... bank manager came out and he looked angry after reading it and he tore it down. Well he shouldn't be scamming people for ammo! I do not like that dude in any way shape or form but the bank is in town and handy.

dakotashooter2
12-15-2014, 11:18 AM
I think the cost of components really depends alot on where you buy....for instance...some shops here in the seattle area,,cabelas etc are selling powder for $35/ lb....but over east of the mountains the same powder goes for $24/lb....needless to say I buy alot east of the mountains when I am over there. Also, I have bought powder along the I5 corrider from WA, to OR, to CA....and prices vary with the most expensive being in CA.

I have never bought a single box of ammo, powder or primers at Cabela's. Even before the shortages they were generally at least 20% higher in price than any of the competitors and often higher that the prices of the stores in my small town (small town prices are almost always higher than large towns).

DR Owl Creek
12-15-2014, 02:49 PM
22's are starting to show up a lot of places around here now. One LGS had CCI Mini-Mags at $12.99/100, with no limit. Another one had Winchester bulk stuff at a slightly lower price per round, again with no limit.

If you really need it, it's available around here. If you can wait a little longer without buying at those prices, I'll bet that prices will drop pretty fast.

Dave

FISH4BUGS
12-15-2014, 03:01 PM
What amazes me is that we can shoot 38/357/380/9mm/45/44 CHEAPER than 22's if we cast our own. Using 231 powder (which goes a loooooooooooooooooong way) you can beat that 10 cents per round that this 22 is costing these days......by a wide margin.
The world is indeed upside down.

dakotashooter2
12-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Buy low...... sell high.......... I'm not even gonna think about buying till it gets down to at least 5 cents a round.....

FISH4BUGS
12-16-2014, 08:00 AM
I guess I have always been a hoarder.....but shooting machine guns, you buy everything in large quantities anyway......primers by the 5000 pack, powder in 8 lb jugs, brass in lots of 5,000, wheel weights by the ton (literally).
I have never even considered my time nor the investment in equipment. The time spent is irrelevant. It is my hobby and the time is actually very relaxing to me. For many years, I had a small lobster boat and fished in Portsmouth Harbor. Lobster probably cost me $40 a pound by the time I factored in gear loss, fuel, bait, equipment failures, etc.....not to mention the time involved. But none of that was the point. It was the time with the kids, it was the time on the water, it was the exercise, etc.
If we factored in the time for gardening, for instance, we would buy our vegetables at the store. If we factored in our time doing yard work, we would hire an illegal to do it for us. If we factored in our time in working on the house or barn, we would hire someone to do it for us. No....casting and reloading is down time and very relaxing to me.
It really IS nuts when I can load 38/357/380/44/45 cheaper than .22's. There is really something wrong when that is the case. Many times as kid I would buy a brick of 500 and shoot rats at the dump all day.....the good old days.
Having fun and doing a public service. Perfect.

That's alot of if's though: If you can find the components, If you dismiss your lengthy amount of time, energy(fuel, propane/gas/electric), original investments, etc. I agree though, it is crazy. Even with all the upsides of 'rolling your own', 22 is a classic that centerfire just doesn't match in all the same ways. Tougher to pack around 500 rnds of 38/357, and if many people shot it up in a day they'd find themselves daunted with reloading. The noise is a biggy though, a lot of people don't want someone shooting centerfire vs rimfire on or near their property, (speaking of gopher shooting etc).

dale2242
12-16-2014, 09:02 PM
I often wondered years ago how ammo companies could manufacture 22lr and retail it for $.02 a shot or less.
I would rather shoot center fire ammo with cast than 22lrs but was taught to shoot and have taught my children, grand children, and now my great grand children to shoot with 22s.
I still like to shoot rim fire on occasion.
Discounting scalpers, don`t you think 22lrs are now priced more in line with production cost?
BiMart, a local big box store sells them for $19.99 for a brick of 500. That`s only $2.00 above the prepanic price.....dale

Gator 45/70
12-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Well, That's not too bad of a price, Wife was in the local Academy the other day and called me after spotting 22lr. in 100rd. box for...19.95, I told her to keep walking, I really can't see paying that price.

I often wondered years ago how ammo companies could manufacture 22lr and retail it for $.02 a shot or less.
I would rather shoot center fire ammo with cast than 22lrs but was taught to shoot and have taught my children, grand children, and now my great grand children to shoot with 22s.
I still like to shoot rim fire on occasion.
Discounting scalpers, don`t you think 22lrs are now priced more in line with production cost?
BiMart, a local big box store sells them for $19.99 for a brick of 500. That`s only $2.00 above the prepanic price.....dale

MtGun44
12-17-2014, 11:57 PM
Powder was $25 a lb at last gun show, primers $29.95/1000. I can still load
centerfire for less than $0.10 per round, so not buying at that price.

Bill

tomme boy
12-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Last gun show I got LOTS of powder at $21/lb. They are all putting it to us. But, they are also making up the price at higher levels to compensate for them not able to get it like they used to too.

oldred
12-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Obviously 22 RF, powder, primers, etc are becoming more and more available with prices dropping accordingly but just not as fast or as low as we would like to see. I seriously doubt we will ever see prices as low as in the past with the exceptions of sales and promotions but who really knows? With all the hoarding that went on once supplies become plentiful again sales might drop so low because of the glut folks have on hand that we just might see some real bargains but I wont hold my breath waiting on that! While there are many thousands, if not millions, of folks holding huge supplies there are still LOTs of folks out there who will be determined not to be left out again and because of that the "stocking up" of supplies may continue for a while but hopefully not on the scale we have seen the last couple of years. I don't have any way of knowing of course but I would guess it's very likely that more ammo and components exist in this country now than at any time in history, probably many times over! There are people who don't even shoot much (if any at all!) that have hoarded 22 ammo just because of a perceived increase in value due to the "shortage", I know of at least two such people here locally and I bet most folks here know some to. Hopefully it will be over soon but I almost dread checking the news these days and bad as I hate to say it I think it's just a matter of time before this all starts over again, we here know how to put an end to this sort of thing but unfortunately the wimps running this country don't have a clue, but I guess now I'm getting political so I best hush up.

gunshot98
12-19-2014, 10:42 PM
Bought some Rem. golden for $2.29 for 50 rds at Academy Sports. Thought that was a good price.

starmac
12-20-2014, 01:30 AM
We can't order it, and have it shipped in, so I have never checked any out of state companies. But I have never seen any 10 cent a round regular old 22lr sold by the brick at any retail dealer. It may be scarce, but the very highest I have seen was just a tad over 6 cents a round, and that was at wallmart. 10 cents a round would be 50 bucks a brick, almost double the going rate in this whole fiasco.

dlbarr
12-20-2014, 03:16 AM

What?! REALLY??

Ever heard of free enterprise? Individuals can choose to get as much as they want of whatever's available. If they want to hoard, they can. If they want to sell at inflated prices, nobody's required to pay their asking price...but buyers can if they want the product.

VALUE (like beauty) is in the eye of the beholder/purchaser.

oldred
12-20-2014, 11:45 AM
There is a HUGE difference between free enterprise and price gouging! If you don't understand that there's no sense in discussing it and since you think it's ok go ahead and pay extortion prices for ammo but don't complain!

dlbarr
12-20-2014, 12:50 PM
......since you think it's ok go ahead and pay extortion prices for ammo but don't complain!

I was not complaining, oldred. :)

Three44s
12-20-2014, 01:20 PM
The last .22 lr I bought was on sale at BiMart.

Golden boys @ 525 rounds bulk for 7.99 (I bought plenty ...... till I thought I was foolish)

I know I'll never see that again but if they stayed in business then for that price there is no excuse what so ever for the prices we have suffered through for the past two years.

I predict a day of reckoning for the scalpers ....... and not a pretty one. The pendulum will swing back to a better reality one day.

Patience!

Three 44s

dlbarr
12-20-2014, 01:54 PM
I predict a day of reckoning for the scalpers ....... and not a pretty one.

What would a "day of reckoning" look like for those that have sold at current market prices? When the pendulum swings back, prices will go down, consumers will buy at the new market price. That's the way it works for all commodities, not just ammo.

I seriously doubt there's enough ordinary Joe's out there who have bought up gobs of inventory intending to make huge profits at a future time when prices (presumably) go even higher. Most guys, like me, who are "hoarders" just want to have the stuff. I don't intend to sell it off, some may, but I highly doubt that anybody like that is making it hard "on the rest of us".

mold maker
12-20-2014, 02:13 PM
When comparing current prices with a couple years ago, remember how the price of pork and beef changed in the last couple years. The only thing that cost less now than 6 months ago is gas, and that's going to change as soon as the oil ceos figure out how, or the gov sees it as a cash cow.

dragon813gt
12-20-2014, 03:46 PM
No one is price gouging. We are not talking about a necessity. You either part w/ your money or you don't. It's as simple as that.

dlbarr
12-20-2014, 06:00 PM
No one is price gouging. We are not talking about a necessity. You either part w/ your money or you don't. It's as simple as that.

The voice of reason.

Thank you.

Multigunner
12-20-2014, 06:21 PM
I've still got thousands of rounds of .22 LRRF I bought up every time I saw it on sale back in the 90's and earlier.
I'd have twice that much if I had not gotten into the habit of giving away boxes of .22 ammo to friends that had just bought a .22 or dug an old one out of the closet and needed to sight it in or do a lot of plinking to get used to the gun.

I had not been thinking about stockpiling ammo at the time, I just bought as much as I had normally used up but when I got into airguns and handloading more for my centerfires I took the rimfires out less and less the ammo just piled up without my really noticing it.

My emergency stash would be a nicely decorated tin box of Reminton ammo in separate 50 rnd boxes. I bought two of those on sale and opened one, and still have about half the rounds in the opened box as well as the full one.
I also have some of those plastic buckets full of .22 LR. For cheap ammo its surprisingly accurate stuff. Some is Federal but I think I have a bucket of another brand as well.

For serious purposes I prefer CCI Stingers. They have worked great in every autoloading rifle and handgun I've used them in, especially shorter barreled rifles.

If I see ammo fairly cheap anytime soon I'll replenish my stores and take most of the old ammo out and blaze away at cans and such like in the old days.

Took one of my .22 rifles out of its case last night and found a scab of rust on the outside of the barrel, no rust anywhere else. It cleaned up okay and that got me thinking I should take it and my other .22s out and give them a good work out.

FISH4BUGS
12-20-2014, 07:06 PM

Period. They have it, you want it, they want so much for it, you either want it at that price or not. Dicker with them if you can, but walk away if you don't want to pay the price. If the price is too high no one will make a sale. They will get stuck with many unsold items. It all has a way of leveling out. All you have to do is say NO!
That's the great thing about the capitalist system......vote with your wallet!

RogerDat
12-20-2014, 07:24 PM
Was in WalMart last month 333 round brick for $21 inc. tax. BUT they seldom have any on the shelves. Folks who either know someone in the store or when the ammo goes on the shelves snatch the 3 box limit, even come in with friends so they can get more. I think the preferred version is 500 in 10 boxes of 50 because they can jack the price up and sell the small boxes. Cabelas clerk told me they have people who try to stash "extra" powder around the store so they can purchase the limit then come back for the stashed powder.

Really is pretty simple, for the powder companies reloading powder market is secondary to supplying the ammo manufacturers. They have contracts to honor. With all of the people who went out and purchased firearms they thought might not be available in the future it pushed demand for ammo up. Leading to a scarcity of both powder and primers for reloading. Plus many people decided to start reloading at the same time. Anytime you have to scrounge and search for a commodity it tends to make purchasing extra when it is found seem like a good idea. People are making a rational decision to "fill up the tank" when they find some "gas" because they had to do a bunch of running around to find it. Just as they did during the gas crisis back in the day. Thing is that takes the commodity off the shelf and perpetuates the perception of shortage. Even if manufactures are more than able to meet the actual demand, less the stockpiling. I think the bubble will slowly deflate, probably as spouses lose their patience with yet another purchase "just in case" getting made.

Scalping is just plain wrong in my opinion. Especially if it is based on insider knowledge of when 22's or supplies are going on the shelf at the store. I define hoarding as an accumulation well beyond reasonable need. I like many like to have some stuff on hand, typically purchase once or twice a year to replace what I have used. If you use 10# of powder a year and keep 15 or 20 on hand, not hoarding, if you stocked up and have 80# to feed your 10# a year habit eh maybe you are part of the problem.

BTW - I left Walmart with one box of 22's, did not need more to replace what has been depleted from my normal inventory. Left the rest. If I knew someone that needed some I might have bought another box for them. Not going to snatch the "limit" since I don't need it. Left some for you. Did purchase 3 1# cans of powder for reloading a new cartridge. In normal times I would have purchased only one to try, then come back for a different one to try later. Not stupid, I might not find what I would want to try later so I bought it when I found it.

fatnhappy
12-20-2014, 07:59 PM
10 cents a round for 22's. Man, what has this world come to?

It's half that price here. The local field and stream is selling thunder duds $24.99 for 500 round bricks. It pains me to think I used to pay 1/5 that price.