PDA

View Full Version : does this happen to anyone else???

hotwheelz
02-16-2008, 09:51 AM
I cast some .40 cal bullets 175gr lee mold dont know the # off hand. When I size and lube it allways leaves a little lube right at the bas of the bullet. Is this just going to happen when you have a bullet that rebates just a little at the base? it seems so to me but some of you guys on here have found some great ways to get around problems.

Calamity Jake
02-16-2008, 12:15 PM
When I size and lube it allways leaves a little lube right at the bas of the bullet. Is this just going to happen when you have a bullet that rebates just a little at the base?

Yes it will. Even on a true flat base it will leave a little lube. I always have a followed paper towel laying next to my sizer to wipe the bases on, use whatever you desire and just wipe if off.
Backing off on the lube pressure will help a little.

jhalcott
02-16-2008, 12:44 PM
I use a soft towel and wipe the bases just before I load the bullets. Even the ones I use gas checks on!

floodgate
02-16-2008, 01:30 PM
hotwheelz:

Three thoughts on the lube-on-bullet-base problem:

1. Adjust depth stop slightly up or down, so that there is no lube hole aligned with the base;

2. Check the "I" ejector punch; usually, the top end is sharp-edged, and coned slightly deeper in the center than the edge - it may have gotten in upside-down.

3. Maintain pressure on the bullet via the operating handle throughout the in and out strokes to hold the base tightly to the ejector punch; eject the boolit "smartly".

And, as Jake says, use less pressure on the lube reservoir (and allow a slow count of two or three for the lube to flow at the lower pressure). I always keep a shop towel next to the lube-sizer and wipe the bases anyway, just out of habit. It really doesn't slow you down noticeably.

floodgate

Shiloh
02-16-2008, 01:31 PM
It happens on my bevel base boolits. I got some .38 gas checks from one of the forum members to put on the sizer die punch. THe bevel base fits in the gas check and prevent the base from getting lubed. You have to clean it from time to time put you can get a run of sized boolits before it need it.

Shiloh

454PB
02-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Using a Star sizer eliminates the problem. I've also read one of our forum members puts a disk of styrofoam (like a piece punched from an egg carton) on top of the ejector punch.

VTDW
02-16-2008, 04:40 PM
I wipe the bases on a red shop rag as I pull them from the sizing die and the lube is still warm. Not a problem at all.

Dave

mroliver77
02-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Using a Star sizer eliminates the problem. I've also read one of our forum members puts a disk of styrofoam (like a piece punched from an egg carton) on top of the ejector punch.

Hey that was my idea. Well great minds thinkalike.;)

454PB
02-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Had I remembered who is was, I would have attributed it to you, mroliver77.

hotwheelz
02-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Well I had a match today and i didnt notice any more or less smoke from the bullets a wipped the lube off of compared to those I did not. Real scientific I know, thanks for the ideas I think I will try the styrofoam idea soon:Fire::Fire:

Marc2
02-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Ran that same bullet through an RCBS lube sizer and had similar results. Wiped the bases off on a shop towel. A Star has since solved all my problems.

Marc

mroliver77
02-18-2008, 01:50 AM
You could modify the mold to get a nice flat base.
J

IcerUSA
02-18-2008, 02:16 AM
As long as there isn't much on the base I just load them , I do wipe off if it is heavier . The few granuals that stick to the lube will just go with the boolit if it don't burn off .

Keith