PDA

View Full Version : Yippeeeee!!!! First deer with cast!!!!!!!!

Jevyod
12-12-2014, 05:41 PM
I am so excited and just had to share with you guys!!!! I started casting a year ago, and this is the first year I had some loads I was comfortable in taking hunting. You want the story right! I teach school, and school left out at 2 today. I was feeling very tired, and figured I would run home, and lie down for a few minutes before the eve hunt. Well just as I was about to pull into the drive, I look up the ridge, and right there is a deer bedded down! All of a sudden, I am not tired anymore! I park, race inside, grab my gun and coat, and race outside. I could see the deer through the trees behind the shop, but it was too thick to get a clear shot. So I proceeded to very carefully stalk it, slipping from tree to tree until I could rest my gun against a tree and get a clear shot. At this point, the deer was probably 80 yards away. Fortunately, we just had 7 inches of snow yesterday, so the stalk was silent. So I aimed and fired. Missed. (I have to admit that right?) Shot again. Missed again. (hey it was laying down, and I still get buck fever!) The deer stood, wanting to run, but not sure where the shots were coming from. I took a few seconds, calmed myself down, and smoked it! After getting up to it, I realized it was a button buck: but its like I told somebody, if the good Lord sees fit to send me a deer, I am not going to be choosy! So that is what happened! Now some info and some observations!

First off, gun and load. ( I know I always want to know all the info!!) This was a new Marlin 1895 SBL in 45-70 with a Leupold 1-4x20 shotgun scope. The load was once fired rem cases, cci primers, 40.5 grains IMR4198 and the bullet was from an Accurate mold. The mold was the 46-415V and my alloy was 50/50 COWW/pure +2% pewter and powdercoated and sized to .460 ( Here I would like to insert a big thank-you to Crusty Dreary old coot for helping me in mold selection!!) With gas checks (Gator), the bullets weighed 420 grains, and my muzzle velocity was 1,560 FPS.
When I hit the deer, I was astounded. The bullet knocked the deer sideways, almost knocked it flat. I knew right away it was a good hard hit. I have heard that the big meplat will do that! The beauty of it is, even though the entry side hit a rib, there was not a huge hole coming out. Pretty much a 3/4 inch going in, and a 3/4 inch coming out! The deer only ran 20 yards before expiring. I was very happy with the quick, humane kill! After observing what it did, I believe I shall affectionately call my SBL "The Hammer"[smilie=l:

So there are your details! I would like to offer my heartfelt thanks to all the guys on this forum, especially those who take time to guide new guys like myself through the various (and sometimes stupid) questions we have! You guys are the best, and without you, I probably never would have ventured into the casting world! So I hope you enjoyed the story, and if there are any more details I missed, please feel free to ask!

BACKTOSHOOTING
12-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Great story and I hope to get one next year with a Boolit, :bigsmyl2:

s mac
12-12-2014, 06:08 PM
Congratulations, it is a great feeling to use your own cast boolits. And a simple hunt too. Enjoy the venison.

GabbyM
12-12-2014, 06:23 PM
Agony of defeat then the ecstasy of victory all in one encounter. Thrill of the hunt.

That's a hunt you'll never forget. Great deer rifle there too.

monge
12-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Good job nothing better than a boolit kill!

Blammer
12-12-2014, 11:30 PM
Oh yea! Good story!

jmort
12-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Nice read with a great laundry list of facts.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-12-2014, 11:41 PM
Congratulations! The first one is the best! I've yet to shoot one with a big bore, the 30-06 works so well, I need to give it a try!

pls1911
12-13-2014, 12:51 AM
Agony and ecstasy....
Congratulations, you are now officially but by the cast bullet disease as well as Marlintus.

TXGunNut
12-13-2014, 01:08 AM
There's something special about that first CB kill. Thanks for sharing and congrats!

claude
12-13-2014, 09:32 AM
The first two shots don't count anyway................

Thumbcocker
12-13-2014, 09:36 AM
Hope it is the first of many.

Orchard6
12-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Those weren't misses they where warning shots! Obviously the deer didn't take them too seriously. Congrats on the deer, bet he'll be extra tasty!

Hickok
12-13-2014, 12:51 PM
The first two rounds were "ranging" shots, one high, one low,....got the range...dead-on!

Congratulations, on your first cast success!

To paraphrase Arnold in the movie "Predator", "If it bleeds, the 45/70 can kill it!"

Camba
12-13-2014, 02:10 PM
Congrats on your first deer killed with cast boolit.

TXGunNut
12-13-2014, 04:48 PM
If it bleeds, the 45-70 HAS killed it. My first CB kill was with the 45-70 as well. The cartridge is a huge confidence-builder.

Jevyod
12-13-2014, 08:00 PM
It sure boosted my confidence:bigsmyl2: I am looking forward to more success with it!!

35Whelen
12-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Great read...thanks for sharing, and congratulations on the first cast kill. Nicely done.

Artful
12-14-2014, 01:06 PM
Great Story - Congratulations

Cast Boolits in Medium and Big bore guns are the best medicine.

Treetop
12-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Great story, Jevyod! Welcome to the affliction, er, I mean brotherhood! Tt.

GooseGestapo
12-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Now, just realize the exact same thing would have happened if you'd used a bullet weighing 1/3 less. I've done the exact same thing (except the misses! ;) ). I've got molds from 300 to 480gr for the .45/70. I now just use the 300 (320gr w/gascheck) over 30gr of #2400 for same velocity ~1700fps...
Excellent choice of scope.

I haven't used the .45/70 is some years. I've gotten to prefer the .35Rem. I couldn't get any j-bullets so finally broke down and got a RCBS 200gr fngc for the .35. Wish I'd gotten it 10yrs sooner.... I killed a deer with it and it did similar to your .45/70. I repeated 2 weeks later with the .338MX and Lee 220gr rngc hollow pointed... Same entry wound, but much larger exit wound. Just about like higher velocity factory equivalent loads !!! But much less expensive....
Keep up the good shooting...

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-17-2014, 12:49 AM
Good go'in Jevyod!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still astounded at the effectiveness of the WFN cast in the 45/70! Yes sir I am.

However, it is still the well placed shot that really counts.

Found that out, AGAIN, this Fall with my first deer of the year. Hit just a touch far back and it ran,

Yep, ya heard it here. It ran.

Now, in the scope of things, it didn't go far, likely something under a hundred yards, but it did throw me a bit of a curve when it stopped and did a 180 in another direction.

It was in the timber at that point, and it was turning dark fast and here I was trying to again pick up the blood trail and doing so in the wrong dirction.

The friends on who's place I was hunting, and from who's tree stand I took the shot put some other feet on the ground and the search quickly ended.

My second and last deer of the Fall was again taken from that tree stand and the deer did as every 45/70 deer before, except that one, and dropped.

So, congrats again to Jevyod for a fine story and sharing your success. Just don't become complacent. If you do as I did, and misplace that shot just a tad, the blood trail may be just a bit longer.

It will be there, the blood trail that is, and likely sizeable, but a bit longer then I expected.

Oh and did I tell ya about that long ago major case of buck fever and me carefully and purposefully placing three shots about 10" over the back of a 100yd buck with my .243 from a seated position? It happens and just adds to the experience and memories!

The 45/70 is awesome!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot