PDA

View Full Version : Keith Style Cast Bullet Makers

N320AW
02-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Howdy . . . New here and have a couple of questions that I would appreciate your help with.

Are any of you familiar with the " creeker " Lynn Halsted? I purchased from him 3 years ago only 100 of his 44 Keith 250 SWC's. I have actuallt hoarded these bullets, but finally had a chance to reload some yesterday. The accuracy in my S&W model 24 was excellent. As you guys probably know, Lynn doesn't sell his cast bullets anymore.

For the past three years, I have been using Mt Blady Keith's, and also some that were cast for me by a fellow who uses a Hensly & Gibbs mold.

My accuracy out of both a Ruger custom Blackhawk (44 special conversion) as well as my new Lew Horton S&W 24 with 3" barrel has been just so-so.

This is what I would like to know, and I hope you can help. Considering all the cast bullet makers out there, which one of these duplicates the " creekers " Keith style bullets? I think I've checked the websites on most, but I figured you guys could steer me in the right direction.

Halfbreed
02-15-2008, 10:41 PM
I don't know anything abou the creeker, BUT I am quite familiar with the Lew Horton specials, had a 629-5 with a 3" bbl. Nothing but problems with factory duplicate loads, 2 times back to S$W, 3 other smiths as well. never could get it right. not trying to rain on yer parade, just be careful.
John

bearcove
02-15-2008, 10:42 PM
If you have some left you might want to check the dia. That is probably the most important clue.

N320AW
02-15-2008, 11:06 PM
I have all my 44's sized .430.

N320AW
02-15-2008, 11:08 PM
I don't know anything abou the creeker, BUT I am quite familiar with the Lew Horton specials, had a 629-5 with a 3" bbl. Nothing but problems with factory duplicate loads, 2 times back to S$W, 3 other smiths as well. never could get it right. not trying to rain on yer parade, just be careful.
John

Could you elaborate more on the problems you were having?

hammerhead357
02-15-2008, 11:17 PM
I am not for sure but I think creeker quit casting bullets. I don't remember if he visits here or not but he used to visit at handloads.com.
I agree that you might need to use a different size bullet .430 or .431 may or may not solve your problems. I used to size all of mine .430 but I am trying to get a Handi rifle in 44 mag to shoot cast so will try .431. Also may try .431 with a gas check to see if that helps....Wes

KYCaster
02-15-2008, 11:52 PM
He posts here as "LAH".

At the top of the page there's a tool bar. Click on "Members List" and you can find a link to him there.

When you find out what it is you're looking for, let me know and maybe I can help you out. I doubt if I have a duplicate of Creeker's mold, but I should be able to come up with something you'll be happy with.

Jerry

crabo
02-16-2008, 12:27 AM
PM me with an address and I'll send you some RCBS 250 K boolits sized 430 to try. I've had several people send me some bullets to try and I would like to pass it on if you want to try some.

Crabo

Lloyd Smale
02-16-2008, 07:13 AM
lynn is still here but doesnt cast comercialy anymore. Mt Baldy is one of the biggest suppliers of cast keiths. Frank frequents this forum too. I mostly cast my own bullets but Frank has sent me many samples to try and ive allways found his bullets a tad better then most. Hes an old school caster and shooter and still hand casts his bullets, uses proper lubes and doesnt water drop to get hardness. If your having a problem with his bullets try contacting him. It could be something as simple as your gun not liking the alloy hes using and he will cast them out of any alloy you want. Check with lynn to see what mold he used what alloy and what size he sized them to and then ask frank if he can make you up a batch the same.

N320AW
02-16-2008, 02:27 PM
http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/pictureprocessor/images/BLADYHOLES.jpg

http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/pictureprocessor/images/creekerholes_1.jpg

TOP: Mt. Baldy 250 Keith SWC
BOTTOM: Creeker 250 Keith SWC

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't it seem that the Creeker's bullets cut a little sharper hole than the Mt. Baldy's.?

Yes, I like the Blady bullets very much. It's just that on the same day, using the same case, primer, and powder charge . . . the Creeker bullets shrank the overall grouping of my shots drastically!

I'm wondering about Black River, Oregon Cast bullets, and others. Both of these advertise true Keith designs.

Halfbreed
02-16-2008, 09:48 PM
hopefully this cut and paste will work, this is my experiences with the 629-5,
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums//index.php/topic,54271.0.html
John

N320AW
02-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Halfbreed: Thanks for that link you provided. I read through the whole thing.

As you know, Lew Horton contracts with Smith & Wesson and basically " designs " a gun and purchase so many of that design. Certainly any problems you had with your 629 were not connected to Lew Horton Distributors in any way. S&W built the gun and did rectify your problems finally.

I have no problems with my model 24 whatsoever. And, the thousands of owners of 24's, 29's, etc. have not come forward to display their dissatisfaction with S&W quality. As you know, you just happened to get a " lemon."

Halfbreed
02-16-2008, 10:39 PM
actually they did not rectify anything in the end, the 629 would not keep the extractor rod tight, it loosened up on me the last time, and it was gone, now a Taurus RB in 45 colt is my woods bumming buddy, that and 320 keith loads. as soon as I get all the loading gear for it together, [smilie=1:
john