PDA

View Full Version : Primer weirdness

wlc
12-10-2014, 11:11 PM
Had a first today. A primer wouldn't go off. Primer in question was a CCI srm. I had loaded some test rounds in 454Casull and took them out to try. First five went bang as expected. Number 6 just a click of the hammer dropping. I waited a few seconds to make sure I wasn't gonna get a delayed ignition then opened the cylinder and the primer had a good indent just as all the others. I closed it back up and tried a second time to get it to go bang, nothing. Tried another time with the same results. Got to thinking and took it out and turned it a different orientation in the chamber similar to turning a 22 rimfire when they won't go off. Closed the cylinder, pulled the trigger and bang. Anyone ever see that before. This was the first time in over 20 years of reloading and for that matter the first time ever shooting any round that a primer didn't go off (except for cheapo 22lr sometimes).

osteodoc08
12-10-2014, 11:15 PM
Never had it happen personally but things happen. Mark which cylinder it is of it continues to happen.

Most common reason I've seen/heard of is from not fully seating the primer. But that usually goes bang on the second try.

Labanaktis
12-10-2014, 11:41 PM
Do you wet tumble? I've had issues wet tumbling without de priming....then after setting for months....there was still moisture in the primer pocket....

Hope you figure it out.

Matt

tomme boy
12-11-2014, 12:21 AM
Having the same problems with my 223. I thought it was a short pin doing it.

bobthenailer
12-11-2014, 09:07 AM
If your 454 casull is a FA ? check to see if the firing pin broke in two ! it happened to me , had to return my older FG FA for repair they have a upgraded repair so you can replace it in the field , cost was $80.00 + shipping

roberts1
12-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Had the same thing happen a couple weeks ago with a Winchester large pistol primer in a vaquero and also in a new vaquero a couple months ago. Both went bang on the second try. They were the same primers from the same box in two different guns.

tomme boy
12-11-2014, 10:41 AM
I tried the same thing with mine by turning it and hitting it multiple times. Nothing. I threw them in the scrap bucket. Have had 3 do it in the last 300 rnds.

243winxb
12-11-2014, 11:44 AM
A CCI 400 small rifle primer was my one and only last year. Fired on the 4th hit. Over 1400 fired out of same lot so far.

dragonrider
12-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Yes I have had that happen a couple times in the past, Like you I rotated the round in the chamber and it fired. I believe it was insufficient primer installation.

mdi
12-11-2014, 01:05 PM
One bad primer in 20 years of reloading? For a part that is mass produced in the billions, I'd say it was just a fluke. My record is much the same as yours; can't remember a FTF that wasn't my fault in 25+ years (95% CCI, a bunch of Winchester and the rest Wolf, and Remington).

GabbyM
12-11-2014, 01:06 PM
Few weeks ago I was loading revolver rounds. Dumped out a box of primers into a flip tray and oh my. One of them was missing the anvil. I was lucky to spot that. SP primer from a box of 5,000 I'm about half way through. Not had any missfires but that one would of.

roberts1
12-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Didn't think to check for a high primer in my misfires but one would think it would hang up the action if it was high. I will be more careful to check the round if/when it happens again.

WALLNUTT
12-11-2014, 08:08 PM
I've had a couple of bad ones lately but not in the past 30yrs. They must have the machines cranked up.

Geezer in NH
12-16-2014, 07:54 PM
I suspect it was contaminated somehow. Primers have never been a problem to me.

oley55
12-17-2014, 08:32 PM
I have been having a bad run with Rem 7 1/2 Bench Rest primers failing to fire in my AR15, to the tune of 5-7 out of 100. In all of these, I ejected and reloaded them three times and none of them fired. I have finally used the last of them and am back to using CCI #41 primers.

but as I think about and consider all the possibilities, in the case of the Rem 7.5 primers, I do know that I had altered my brass drying process for that batch. I usually sun dry with a fan running for most of a day in the Florida Sun. Due to weather, this batch was dried in the garage under a fan over night. In retrospect, there is a real good chance I had some moisture left in the pocket/case.

On the other hand reviews for the Rem 7.5 Bench Rest primers over on the Midway USA website reported a number of FTF problems. So I can not say with any certainty if it was me or a bad run of REM primers.