PDA

View Full Version : My Belle, Turkey dog

ohland
12-10-2014, 09:22 PM

I thought we were out for another walk in the grass fields... Belle was out, working hard. I thought she might be working a deer (she pushed one out of the same fenceline 3 wks ago). She worked out of the fenceline, from my right to my left, across the strip of picked corn, then she started to work in the grass field by the old retrobate. Up pops a big gobbler about 20-25 yards out, and the old retrobate drops it with two shots with 1oz of 7 1/2 shot from his Ithaca Model 100 SxS, 20 ga, Imp/Mod. In truth, the SxS doubled.... First time ever that I know it to have done so since starting to hunt with it in the late 70s....

But... the pics on my flip-phone are low res, plus I'm still debating if I should go through the butt-pain to re-install the shareware drivers to access the pictures...

After the retrobate walked back to get the UTV, we put the Turkey in the back, left it parked there, and kept working. Got down to the end of the grass strip and Belle put up turkey #2, @20-25 yards out, I think it was a hen. I brought up my Model 100 to see if it would be difficult... No. Except I have no turkey permit... She continued to work as I swung around the end and started back. Put up turkey #3 out of the grass. Followed it downslope through the old fenceline... Then a turkey flies back. Might have been the same bird, maybe not... Then another turkey gets up from the grass, either #4 or #5... still quite a few turkeys out in a foot and a half high grass field....

Belle decided to lay down and rest on the way back. Got back, she ate some chicken that was left, and she pushed the plate with her nose... Took the hint, nuked some frozen chicken, cut it into strips, then boiled it for 2 minutes. Changed water for cold water, cooled the strips off, plated it on the finest of paper plates, then Belle cleaned the paper plate off....

So far this year, Belle has worked doves, woodcock, pheasants, turkeys, still figuring out squirrels.... and I hope she quits looking for deer. She comes back, but it sorta distracts you... Not many bunnies, but she did track one I saw...

ohland
12-13-2014, 05:58 PM

Figured out the proper chicken-shaking for Verizon. If you look, Belle is in the passenger seat. Old retrobate took off for the UTV once I suggested it. It was parked by the trees in the upper right of the screen.

30Carbine
12-13-2014, 06:26 PM
Nice work belle, sissy's last hunt was for pheasant this year she's 16 and she showed her age but not before teaching the young pups in the hunt how it's done. just a matter of time now...

ohland
12-14-2014, 10:35 PM
teaching the young pups in the hunt how it's done.

All the folks we used to hunt with that had dogs are dead, busted up, or moved. Made it a hard slog with Belle. We were out today and she worked so hard... she put one up at the end of a fenceline and it stayed about 40 yards out... If I had 5s I might have tried it. Day-um, I don't want to leave the old retrobate behind, but Belle works as fast as the birds... She works big, now. Got her running in today for sure.