PDA

View Full Version : Can this noe mold be modified?

mallen
12-10-2014, 08:14 PM
I bout a real nice brass hollow point 4 cavity .358 mold from noe. Great mold. love it. but the design of the bullet does not allow for much length. And for my defense rounds i really need the extra coal. is it possible a machine shop can cut out the lube groove? or is my only option to sell it and hope someone is willing to pay more than 20 bucks for it

white eagle
12-10-2014, 08:22 PM
if you are talking about shorting up the mold,no a machine shop will not be able to do that.
Why don't you just seat you boolit out farther to get more powder space?

mallen
12-10-2014, 08:29 PM
I mean, carving out the lube groves. so the bullet will be straight. I cant seat the bullet further out of the case because then the case mouth ends up in the middle of the lube groove.

/\ /\
| | | |
| | ) (
| | | |
^ vs ^ bullet style dropped

Love Life
12-10-2014, 08:33 PM
So you want a smooth sided mould by machining the groove out of the mould? Sounds like a job for http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

Doc Highwall
12-10-2014, 08:36 PM
What mould is it? Not all bullets are loaded at the same over all length, check your reloading manual and you will see what I mean. There is a maximum over all length in order to function in most guns like a lever action 30-30, but none for a single shot in 30-30.

Virginia John
12-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Let me know if you want to sell it, I give you $21.00.

mallen
12-10-2014, 08:46 PM
So you want a smooth sided mould by machining the groove out of the mould? Sounds like a job for http://www.hollowpointmold.com/
exactly

What mould is it? Not all bullets are loaded at the same over all length, check your reloading manual and you will see what I mean. There is a maximum over all length in order to function in most guns like a lever action 30-30, but none for a single shot in 30-30.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=1046

doing 9mm. when I get a different bullet, ill be measuring my chamber to get the max OAL i can. but i cant do it with a lube groove

mallen
12-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Let me know if you want to sell it, I give you $21.00.

awesome mold. im just not sure ill get the 160 out of it i paid

dragon813gt
12-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Are you coating the bullets w/ HiTek or Powder Coat? I'm assuming so be you never know.

upnorthwis
12-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Should be a simple job for a machinist. I did it on my .45 cal. Lyman Postell on the rear groove. Line it up with a center-finder in a mill them bore or ream. A lot cheaper if you have your own mill. Either that or I'll take the price up to $22.00

mallen
12-10-2014, 09:17 PM
it almost looks like i can have it at the bottom of the lube groove. it does look like that would be a tad bit longer than saami spechs. but.that itself doesnt matter. i need to measure my chamber.

how much of the bullet needs to be inside the case?

Love Life
12-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Can you explain why you need the longer COAL for your defense loads? I'd just work up from the book and crimp the bullet just past the lube groove and call it a day.

mallen
12-10-2014, 09:27 PM
matching the cartridge length to your chamber yields better accuracy. and with a flat nose or hollow point it helps with feeding. in fact if i go a little shorter than i am now my gun likes to jam on the next to last round. lengthen it a bit and it starts working perfectly.

dragon813gt
12-10-2014, 09:28 PM
how much of the bullet needs to be inside the case?

Are you new to reloading?

mallen
12-10-2014, 09:34 PM
no, defiantly probably yes.

mallen
12-10-2014, 09:35 PM
its looking like if i get it the way i want it, i would have somewhere around .13 inch in the case.

mallen
12-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Are you coating the bullets w/ HiTek or Powder Coat? I'm assuming so be you never know.

powder coat.

although, wouldn't it work with tumble lube as well?

Love Life
12-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Sell the NOE mould for $10.00 less than you paid for it and get a heavier (longer) bullet design. Once you go tot cutting on that NOE mould, it becomes worthless.

mallen
12-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Sell the NOE mould for $10.00 less than you paid for it and get a heavier (longer) bullet design. Once you go tot cutting on that NOE mould, it becomes worthless.

I paid 160 between mold (i have hollow point version), and a few bucks for lube. so about 145 if you want it.

GabbyM
12-10-2014, 09:43 PM
IN all my 9mm's that bullet style would reach the rifling before the lube grove would become exposed.
Have you removed barrel from pistol and used it as a gage to see just how long you can make your C.O.L. ?

mallen
12-10-2014, 09:51 PM
not yet. but i do know that at the longest i can get with this bullet, its not hitting. and its much shorter than my factory rounds

this bullet maxes out at 1.09
my factory hollow points are 1.125. so i have a long distance before hitting rifling

dragon813gt
12-10-2014, 09:59 PM
What mold number is it? Sounds like it's the wrong one for your application.

mallen
12-10-2014, 10:01 PM
What mold number is it? Sounds like it's the wrong one for your application.

358 124gr tc

mallen
12-10-2014, 10:06 PM
come to think of it. it is a little on the light side. 118 in hollow point mode.

GabbyM
12-10-2014, 10:12 PM
not yet. but i do know that at the longest i can get with this bullet, its not hitting. and its much shorter than my factory rounds

this bullet maxes out at 1.09
my factory hollow points are 1.125. so i have a long distance before hitting rifling

Suggest you try fitting some in your barrel. You almost surely are in for a surprise. I load my similar Saeco bullet to 1.045" and it's backing the round up but not out to flush with barrel hood yet.

Another note. I have several 9mm molds. 124gr RN as typical does not set down inside the case as far as the 122gr TC. So at one time I thought that extra powder space in the 9x19mm would equate to higher velocity. Well it didn't with the few powders I tried. The 122's actually turn in slightly higher velocity. Probably just the 2 grains less weight.

mallen
12-10-2014, 10:15 PM
Suggest you try fitting some in your barrel. You almost surely are in for a surprise. I load my similar Saeco bullet to 1.045" and it's backing the round up but not out to flush with barrel hood yet.

Another note. I have several 9mm molds. 124gr RN as typical does not set down inside the case as far as the 122gr TC. So at one time I thought that extra powder space in the 9x19mm would equate to higher velocity. Well it didn't with the few powders I tried. The 122's actually turn in slightly higher velocity. Probably just the 2 grains less weight.

at 1.09 I am already at the maximum length im going to get out of the bullet.

mallen
12-11-2014, 12:39 AM
This is where I am at now.124140

This is the max saami.124141

tazman
12-11-2014, 11:30 AM
I load a very similar boolit in my 9mm to 1.050 and it feeds and shoots quite well.

taco650
12-11-2014, 12:38 PM
What kind of pistol are you shooting it out of? Also, as others have mentioned, pull the barrel and drop loaded rounds of various OAL into the chamber and see which ones stick out past the barrel hood area. I've done this with every semi auto pistol I've ever reloaded for. The books will give you a good starting reference but some guns just work better with the rounds a little longer (or shorter) than "book length". Don't give up on such a nice mold just yet.

Doc Highwall
12-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Sometimes we have to realize that even though we have a good bullet, a particular gun might not like it for what ever reason, but another gun will just love it. I would try a longer heavier bullet for your gun before altering that NOE mould.

GabbyM
12-11-2014, 03:28 PM
This is where I am at now.124140

This is the max saami.124141

You have two lengths to consider. One is the max COL that will fit in the guns magazine. Other is the length to where the front band contacts the rifling then longer starts to back up the loaded round in the chamber. Your bullet is a flat point VS a round nose. Thus being bobbed off it will have plenty of magazine room. If you drop an empty case into your barrels chamber. You'll notice it stops where it head spaces on the rim and case head is below flush at the barrel hood. As you laod a bullet in cases. You'll start backing that case head up towards the barrel hood as your bullet contacts either the rifling or resist going into any free bore the chamber may or may not be cut with. SAMI chambers have a throat with free bore. Some of the Euro guns do not. Bullet front band against rifling or throat is what we are talking about checking with the pistol barrel removed from gun.

Hope that helps and I'm not just confused.

mallen
12-11-2014, 04:25 PM
I never though about customizing the sizing die to the gun. now, should this be done after i shoot the round with that specific gun?

by using the die to seat the bullet little bitty bits at a time i was able to get a plunk test to work at 1.185. unfortunately, the round would hang on the mag. i had to back down to 1.18 to get it to cycle. that was after a few presses and loading, so the corners of the bullet are slightly beveled. i might be able to keep the same length by polishing the inside of the mag where it kinda bevels in at the top.
any way of doing this?

Love Life
12-11-2014, 04:53 PM
Try it with an unblemished bullet before you go to modifying the mag. Change one thing at a time.

dragon813gt
12-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Did they hang on the mag when firing or when cycling by hand? Cycling by hand is not a substitute for live fire. You'd be surprised what works only one way but not the other and vice versa.

mallen
12-11-2014, 08:03 PM
Did they hang on the mag when firing or when cycling by hand? Cycling by hand is not a substitute for live fire. You'd be surprised what works only one way but not the other and vice versa.
I prefer to make them work both ways. if there is a jam for any reason or another, i may have to hand cycle, i don't want to hand cycle just to have another jam that takes a tool to unjam.