PDA

View Full Version : Game Camera, trail camera what do you like?

Blammer
12-10-2014, 01:23 PM
I am shopping for a Game camera.

Looking for a decent one, not top end, not bottom end.

Probably looking to spend around $75 or so.

Any recommendations?

Nueces
12-10-2014, 01:28 PM
While y'all are answering Blammer's question, I'd appreciate tips on such cameras that will work with the Apple OSX operating systems.

dragon813gt
12-10-2014, 01:33 PM
I've bought Moultries in the past. Pics always came out decent. Can't speak to longevity because they were always stolen, from private property. Any of them should work w/ Apple. The pictures are taken on SD cards. So it's just a matter of plugging the SD card into your computer. I took an old digital camera w/ me in the field to check the pics on the spot. No point in bringing the SD card home if there was nothing on it. I didn't care for the programs that came w/ the cameras.

NSB
12-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Having owned several dozen game cameras over the last ten or twelve years, I'll have to go with Wildgame at this price break. I'm not suggesting that they are a "good" camera, only that at that price break they are probably better than the rest. The downside to them is poor battery life even though they promise better, slow trigger speed even though they promise better, and mediocre detection range even though they promise better. They give you a one year warranty and if you're really lucky they might last two years. Over time I found that there are better cameras out there but they cost more. In the long run they end up being cheaper. The best value cameras out there right now are the Cuddeback Blackflash E3 and the Browning Special OPs cameras. The Cuddeback has a good warranty, up to five years prorated and two years at 100%. It's trigger speed is around a half second, it has fantastic detection range, and virtually no blur. It costs around a hundred-fifty bucks but it's easily worth the money. No white outs, black outs, and very, very few missed shots due to trigger speed. Oh yeah, the batteries last months in the camera. The only thing better is Reconyx and they cost over five hundred bucks.

quilbilly
12-10-2014, 03:56 PM
We have trail cams on our trails in the woods on our property. Our "old reliable" is a 2+ year old Primos 35 that just keeps on going 24-7-365 and still gets great pics night or day. We bought another last year and it died within a couple months.

Nueces
12-10-2014, 04:25 PM
I've bought Moultries in the past. Pics always came out decent. Can't speak to longevity because they were always stolen, from private property. Any of them should work w/ Apple. The pictures are taken on SD cards. So it's just a matter of plugging the SD card into your computer. I took an old digital camera w/ me in the field to check the pics on the spot. No point in bringing the SD card home if there was nothing on it. I didn't care for the programs that came w/ the cameras.

That's what I thought when buying a Moultrie LX50IR on Amazon. There is no mention of operating system requirements on the website or on the product packaging. Only when you get into the instructions is it mentioned that only a Windows system can be used to interface with the camera and change the default settings or retrieve pictures, all verified by a Moultrie customer service rep on the phone.

Boolit_Head
12-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Can't speak to longevity because they were always stolen, from private property.

Do you think the Deer were moving them to keep track on the Hunters? :veryconfu

waksupi
12-10-2014, 05:27 PM
I've got a Primos Truthcam 35. I've never used any other, so can't really make a comparison. Here is a pic capturing the return of a successful wily hunter the day before Thanksgiving.

Bullwolf
12-11-2014, 12:57 AM
I have also had the best results, longevity wise using older Primos Truth Cam 35's. They are the only cams I have that are still working.

The old style 35 cams with settings switches, that uses 4 D cell batteries rather than the new AA battery smaller cams.

Been through a pair of Truth Cam 46's with the LCD menus. The LCD menu driven ones just die on me eventually. I won't buy any more of the 46's when my last one dies (and it will). The Truth Cam 35's have been my work horses. Just my results, your individual mileage may vary.

- Bullwolf

Silfield
12-11-2014, 06:19 AM
Anyone have any views on the Bushnell range as the ones mentioned above are not available here!
I have toyed with the idea of getting one for a couple of years now, just to see what's mooching around the back garden and fields at night.