PDA

View Full Version : tumble lube vs standard bullets

cbr
02-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Hi, this has probably been discussed in the past, but im not finding much on it. I just got a used lube-sizer up and running and realized imho it was much easier and quicker using LLA and the lee push-through sizers. I have had great luck with LLA in everything I have tried it on (.38, .40, .45 acp, 8mm mauser) except in my 9mm M&P. With a standard lee 120 TC bullet, lubed with LLA (tried 1, 2, and 3 coats) and sized to .358, I was getting leading near the muzzle with a light load of 4.2 grains of unique. When I size and lube them in the lube-sizer I am having great results and no leading with the same load. I guess I am kind of lazy and would like to just use the LLA. Im not sure what kind of lube I'm currently using in the lube sizer, trying to use up what came in it, it is very nasty, almost black tar like stuff. I assume changing lubes, maybe 50-50, will make it less messy. My question is, does a tumble lube design bullet carry the LLA better than a standard lube groove bullet? If I switch to a tumble lube design boolit, do you think I could get by with just LLA? I just hate to purchase another mold if its not going to work well. My wife thinks I am spending too much on this hobby already!

Scrounger
02-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Are you lubing your bullets and then sizing them? If so, lube them again after sizing. You are having such good success with other guns, I see if there was some reason inherent in the 9MM that was causing the problem.

cbr
02-15-2008, 05:17 PM
I lubed them after sizing, and still had leading problems. It kind of has me puzzled because I have had great luck with LLA in everything else.

lv2tinker
02-15-2008, 07:19 PM
What BHN are your boolits? I have the same mold that you have, plus LEE's 124-TC/TL and have just learned from my testing that the 9mm takes a harder BHN than my 40 S&W & 45 ACP. I started off with BHN 16, leaded bad, then tried BHN 21, viola...very-very little leading after 100 rounds using LLA on the 124-TC TL. Haven't tried it yet on the 125-2R.

Cheers

cbr
02-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Not sure about the BHN, they are water dropped wheel weights, with a very small amount of range scrap mixed in.

Shiloh
02-15-2008, 08:04 PM
What type of rifling does the 9mm have? Is is the polygonal rifling like a Glock or H&K? or is it the standard swaged of cut rifling. I have seen leading issues in both Glocks and H&K's with boolits lubed with LLA and 50/50 of harder lubes. An aftermarket barrel with conventional cut rifling solved the problem.

Shiloh

runfiverun
02-15-2008, 08:13 PM
your bhn would be about 17
i've had pretty good luck with acww w @2 tin and hard lube like jakes or magmas
in my 9's

runfiverun