PDA

View Full Version : Need Boolit Recommendations for 44Mag

Bill in Ky
12-09-2014, 08:32 PM
I just picked up a S&W Model 29-2 44 Mag 6 inch, a true Dirty Harry piece.
I am looking at Lee's SWC 240gr and their RN 240gr molds. Should I go lighter, or heaver or what... I am wanting input from those of you who mold and shoot the 44 Mag. Only target shooting will be done, and that from the patio.
Thanks for your help !!
Bill

Blammer
12-09-2014, 08:40 PM
I would recommend the Lyman 429215, good plinker easy on the lead supply.

Would not be afraid to hunt with it either.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits/44list-1.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/blammer8mm/media/Cast%20boolits/44list-1.jpg.html)

Loudenboomer
12-09-2014, 09:16 PM
Only target shooting will be done, and that from the patio.

Bill
My favorite plinkin load in the 629 is the Lyman 429421 Keith Boolit over 8 gr. unique.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
12-09-2014, 09:32 PM
I've been very happy with the 429244 over either 22.5 grains of H110 or 10 grains of Unique, and I know, I know, a dozen or so people will say that a gas check is unnecessary for 44 mag, and it is for the most part, but I know that with the 429244 over H110 I can put 5 shots into a 1 inch group at 50 yards from my contender, so the gas checks certainly don't hurt.

Elmer Keith is a legend but Ray Thompson was no slouch.

waco
12-09-2014, 09:47 PM
I agree with Loudenboomer. 429421 over 8gr of Unique. I would not hot rod that revolver. Get a Blackhawk if you want to shoot full power loads. I would tend to baby your Smith. I do anyway.This load gives me 910 FPS out of my 5" 29-5.

happy7
12-09-2014, 10:08 PM
It kind of depends on what is important to you. If cost is important, I would go lighter to save lead. I have the Lee round nose mold you mention and it is one of my favorites for 44 special type loads. However the Lee 200-RF mold is lighter if you want to save lead and is also one I like. I like it for light power loads. If you are wanting something for full power, it is very hard to beat the Lyman 429421 as was mentioned. It is my favorite over a stout load of 2400.

hendere
12-09-2014, 10:18 PM
I've messed with a few others, but I always come back to 429421 and 2400. It just seems to work.

telebasher
12-09-2014, 10:21 PM
My favorite plinkin load in the 629 is the Lyman 429421 Keith Boolit over 8 gr. unique.

Mine too!

murf205
12-09-2014, 10:30 PM
I just picked up a S&W Model 29-2 44 Mag 6 inch, a true Dirty Harry piece.
I am looking at Lee's TC 240gr and their RN 240gr molds. Should I go lighter, or heaver or what... I am wanting input from those of you who mold and shoot the 44 Mag. Only target shooting will be done, and that from the patio.
Thanks for your help !!
Bill
You can't beat the load that Waco uses. That old Keith boolit has been around a loooong time for a good reason. My 4" 629 loves 16.5 grs. of 2400 and a 429421 sized to .430 and a std primer for 1050 fps ave. In my 9.5" Super R'hawk it goes 1200fps and is very accurate from both. Probably a little faster than 8grs of Unique but not much more. Either of the Lee boolits will work if you do your part.

bobthenailer
12-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Even though i have 4- 44mag boolet moulds, Saeco 420-200 gr tc, 944-200gr wc, 441-240gr swc and the RCBS 240 sil , my go to boolet for 99% of my shooting between 800 to 1,200 fps is with the Saeco #420-200gr tc.

44man
12-10-2014, 09:33 AM
The Smith thrives on around 250 gr and the 429421 is a good one. So is the RD 265 but don't shoot heavier then that on, inertia is not good for a S&W.
A 240 is OK. Don't be afraid of pressure, any safe book load will not harm the gun.
I used 2400 with the Keith and 296 with the RD.
The twist is 1 in 18-3/4" so it will not be as accurate with light boolits unless shot slow. Good for can loads.

Moonie
12-10-2014, 09:46 AM
Blammer, you really need to update that picture, we all know you have lots more than that now :P

Petrol & Powder
12-10-2014, 09:50 AM
I'll toss in my enthusiastic support for the RCBS 250-SWC (very similar to the Lyman 429421) over 8 grains of Unique.
That load is very accurate in my experience and will do 95% of what you want out of a 44 Mag. If you want magnum loads, you can use the same bullet and switch to a published load of H110 and cover the remaining 5% of what the 44 mag is good for.

1 gun
1 type of bullet
1 type of casing
2 powders
Everything you want out of a 44 mag. = DONE!

Thumbcocker
12-10-2014, 09:59 AM
In my experience the 429421 is accurate over a wide range of velocities. For plinking loads 6.0 of 231 or 6.5 of red dot have been accurate in several guns. Lots of shots from a pound of powder. Don't double charge.

44man
12-10-2014, 10:14 AM
Yes, I use 7 gr of Unique for fun (very few times since I shoot long ranges and hunt but still a good fill in.) I have tested to 10 gr but never seen much change in accuracy. Where I did see a great improvement was making the boolits harder and harder until I reached 28 to 30 BHN. Better steerage at the cone.
But really, 7 to 8 gr is a lot of fun. 231 is great too.

Bigslug
12-10-2014, 10:20 AM
I've got NOE's 429421 clone and like it, but my next mold is going to be a WFN - probably an LBT and probably a 260 grainer, although the 280 hasn't been ruled out.

Logic points:
1. I just did a penetration test of a 230 grain .45ACP LBT LFN with a .30" meplat at 830fps. It took 8-9 1 gallon jugs to stop them - about four feet of water.
2. The Keith with it's higher SD, greater weight, and smaller .27" meplat will have an even greater surplus of penetration.
3. I don't want to deal with a hollowpoint mold to increase diameter..
4. I don't plan to shoot handguns seriously beyond 100 yards, so the "blunt instrument" of a .34" nose is not an aerodynamic handicap.
5. Depending on the gun, my recoil threshold for the Keith is about 1200-1300 fps. Bigger nose should help when hitting at slower speeds.

g.man10mm
12-10-2014, 10:48 AM
I cast and shoot more different .44 boolits than any other caliber, but if I could keep only one .44 mold, it would be MP 429640. It just so happens that the group buy is about to close on that one:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?256617-MiHec-429640-HP-or-Solid-2-Cav-or-4-Cav-Brass-Mold/page4

mdi
12-10-2014, 01:09 PM
I too, would agree that the "classic" .44 Magnum cast bullet is a "Kieth style" 240-250 gr SWC. I've loaded this bullet over light loads of Bullseye to hefty W296/H110 loads and a whole lot of Unique. This bullet is as accurate as I can shoot and it has but one drawback; it will not feed through my Puma (without using Special brass, or extraordinary measures). For my Puma (and often my other .44 Magnums) I use a Ranch Dog design round nose flat point in either 240 gr. or 265 gr., both accurate in my 5 .44s...

Personally, I don't like to "cheap out" when reloading for my Magnums. I use a powder charge for how it performs, not how many charges I can get out of a pound and I'll choose bullet weights by how my guns shoot them and how they will react on the target, not by how much lead I have on hand. Kinda like using El Cheapo unleaded regular in my 400 HP Corvette.

Blackwater
12-10-2014, 01:21 PM
The .44 mag. is one of those calibers for which original specs of chambers were pretty specific, and more importantly, on the tighter side of manufacturing tolerances. Thus, they're typically very good to excellent shooters, no matter whether you're shooting jacketed or cast. The selection of moulds for cast bullets is therefore similarly pretty good, and generally, their diameters are pretty close to what we need for them to shoot at least pretty accurately. Measuring chamber throats and barrel groove diameters isn't something every shooter always does, so this is doubly fortuitous, I think. Therefore, most cast boolits do pretty darn well in the .44 if we but expend the simple and joyous effort to work up loads that our particular guns want, and we'll get very good to excellent results. This may require trying different powders and varying charges to find the "sweet spot" where our particular guns like that particular powder, and voila', we've got a sho' 'nuff "target load" that often works on game as well as our paper targets and targets of opportunity.

However, there are some "classic" moulds that have proven themselves across the board in many different guns, and there can be no doubt that chief among these is the old Elmer Keith designed SWC, and its near clones, as made by Lyman, RCBS and most other mould makers. Many shooters try this one first, and never go to anything else because the boolit and loads do so well that they feel no reason to go further. For these good and rational folks, the story ends there.

However, many of us are inveterate experimenters, and some are always trying to get that little bit "extra," and these are the folks who experiment with all sorts of bullet designs. The RNFP type bullet feeds better in lever action and other carbines, and in these guns, they make a lot of sense. Add to this the fact that with a good flat on the meplat, and they perform very well o"towfer" of sorts. The very broad flat meplats of the LBT and similar type boolits has become a modern legend in their effectiveness on game and destruction of their tissues and organs, and many have become very fond of these. Fitted properly to your chamber throats and barrel grooves, and they shoot very well also, and that's their version of the "twofer." Another set of shooters likes to be stingy with their boolit metal supply, a growing consideration, and like lighter boolits so they can "stretch" their shooting by taking smaller dips into the pot per bullet. This also makes sense, though I've never been able to tell much difference in recoil, or at least enough to be very significant. The Lee 200 gr. RNFP and similar designs, also slides into single action cylinders like water fowing downhill, and that's a nice feature at the range or afield, and my old Scots heritage keeps me appreciative of the economy while still finding it effective on all game in my southeastern area of the country. Not a bad combo, there, either!

In short, I don't really believe there IS any "best bullet" in the .44 mag. You just have to try the ones that look like they'll suit your needs, and see how they work in your gun, and trying most of them will very likely produce a fine working load that suits your purpose exceedingly well. Therefore, just pick one that you think you like right now, and as time goes on and the will strikes you, try some others to see what they'll do in your gun and your hand. This is just the way all shooting works. There really IS no "best of" for ANY gun, UNLESS you try a number of bullets and loads and let your GUN show YOU what IT wants. Hope this makes sense, and maybe liberates you from our modern tendency to pigeon hole everything in our world into "good, better and best." In shooting, there's really no such thing, excepting maybe for brief moments. Something always comes along that's touted as being "better," and sometimes the even actually DO produce better results in our guns, or someone else's. This isn't what most people want to hear, but it's just the way it is in reality, so pick whatever turns you on, and give it a good workout. In shooting, there really are no "shortcuts." We ALWAYS have to test and prove our loads, and that's probably the way it'll always be until we start shooting ray guns and dispense with the simple, glorious pleasures of shooting boolits and bullets.

Short answer to your question, though, if it was me (which it ain't), is I'd pick the 245-250 gr. Keith bullet, and most likely, I'd be awfully happy with it and the results it gives me. In this day of powder shortages, I'd start with 2400 for my top loads, since it's always given excellent performance pretty much across the board, and something like Unique for a somewhat milder offering that'll sip at your powder supply more sparingly, and probably do pretty much anything you can reasonably ask of a .44 to do as well. Just test incremental loads in your gun and find the "sweet spot" with each powder, and I'd bet money you'll be happy. The second mould I'd purchase (and shame on you if you only get one) is probably the Lee 200 gr. RNFP. It's more economical, even the 6-cav. moulds (they're FAR superior to their 2-cav's) are very reasonably priced, and as stated, it sips at your lead supply rather than gulping it. A nice load with a faster powder like Bullseye, Tightgroup, etc. is about as cheap as you can effectively shoot a .44, and if you can get WW's at a resonable price, is actually cheaper to shoot right now that .22 RF's! Now ain't THAT a surprise!

Main thing is though, just get whatever mould you think you're likely to like, and get on with the casting (learn to cast them well) and shooting, and it'll be a revelation what you can really achieve with your pistol. Good luck and good shooting.

white eagle
12-10-2014, 02:25 PM
I shoot a Lee 210 rf out of my blackhawk very accurate fun load 7.5 gr unique

Char-Gar
12-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Lyman 429421 or a clone will be what you need. Either 5/Bulleye or 8/Unique will get er done for you.

Petrol & Powder
12-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Lyman 429421 or a clone will be what you need. Either 5/Bulleye or 8/Unique will get er done for you.

There you have it.

paul edward
12-11-2014, 03:39 AM
Most paper targets will not know the difference between 200 grain and 240 grain cast boollits; the shooter will. Lighter boolits are also easier on your lead supply. If I did not already have a Lee 214 SWC plain base, I would probably get the 200 gr RF. Six to 8 grains of Unique will work.

Petrol & Powder
12-13-2014, 09:49 AM
While it is true that a lighter bullet holds some advantages over a heavier bullet such as reduced recoil and conservation of lead, there are advantages to the classic 240-250 gr SWC in .44 as well. The 250 gr SWC is very accurate but may also be called upon for hunting and self defense. Obviously, if needed, the lighter bullet could be pressed into service beyond just punching holes in paper but if I was seeking one "do-it-all" bullet; I would lean to the classic SWC in the standard 240-250 grain weight range.
The more I play with handguns the more I find myself gravitating to the "standard for the caliber" weight bullets.
They became the standard weights for a reason.

Duster340
12-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Gotta love the .44, there's a bullet type/weight for every conceivable application! For general everyday plinking rounds I have had very nice luck in my SBH with the Lee 200gr RN, Lee 208 gr WC as well as the Lee 214 gr SWC over listed min/mid level charges of Unique, Red Dot, Blue Dot, Bullseye and 800X. To maximize the shooting pleasure my daughters and I get from each pound of lead & powder, I am in the process of working up some light creampuff leveled plinking loads using some old "ultra light" molds, i.e. 116gr WC, 162 gr WC and 172 gr RN boolits. For heavier boolits I really like the Lee 255 gr SWC followed closely by a 240 SWC.

How's that for a long winded response ? LOL [smilie=s:

Hickok
12-13-2014, 12:18 PM
Bill in Ky, I have a Model 29-3, 6 inch barrel that has chamber/cylinder throats that are large, miking .4332". You might want to slug your throats and find out what your handgun is, and cast and size accordingly. Might avoid leading and accuracy issues.

I have a newer S&W 629 that mikes .4285" in the chamber throats, while my Ruger Super Blackhawk has .4315" throats.

Bill in Ky
12-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Thanks for everyone's input, it's greatly appreciated !!

Bill in Ky, I have a Model 29-3, 6 inch barrel that has chamber/cylinder throats that are large, miking .4332". You might want to slug your throats and find out what your handgun is, and cast and size accordingly. Might avoid leading and accuracy issues.

Hickok my throats are very close in size to your's. Having never loaded for a revolver I have a question. With the throats on my cylinder this size
should I size my cast bullets to .429 or .430 or what?

Thanks again everyone!

Shuz
12-13-2014, 02:08 PM
Hickok my throats are very close in size to your's. Having never loaded for a revolver I have a question. With the throats on my cylinder this size
should I size my cast bullets to .429 or .430 or what?

Thanks again everyone![/QUOTE]
FWIW--I have many .44 mag revolvers and the throats vary from .431 to .4285 between the different guns. I shoot .431 diameter boolits of hardness Bhn 11 in all with great accuracy and very minimal, if any leading on the tighter throated guns. If I do experience minor leading, it is easily removed by shooting no more than 5/ea gas checked loads of 429215 with 18g of 2400.
IMHO too much hanky wringing is done over trying to match boolits to throats. As long as the boolits are not SMALLER than the throats, you're "good to go".

Hickok
12-13-2014, 02:09 PM
Bill, the larger you can cast and size them the better. Go to .430".

Since I have three .44's with varying throat diameters, I size all my boolits to .430".

I use the Lyman #429421 and Lyman #429244 GC cast from COWW + 2 %Sn and 20 gr/ 2400 for all three revolvers and a Model 94 in .44 mag. Works well for me since I started shooting .44 mags back in the early '70's, just too contrary to change anything now.

Also, 8 gr/Unique, Lyman #429421 is a great general purpose load I have used in my revolvers.

Hickok
12-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Shuz, just saw your post, and I agree. My molds drop boolits right at .430", so that is what I go with, and size them .430". It is a compromise, but works for me in my several .44's. One day I may buy a RCBS 44-250-KT and try for a larger diameter boolit just for the sake of doing it. The older Model 29-3 gets some minor leading in the throat, but nothing to worry about.

The "tight" Model 629 and the Super Blackhawk both shoot clean. I guess the boolit is bumping up a little in the SBH. Why the tight throated Model 629 doesn't lead up is a mystery to me. Maybe the bore has "tight" dimensions too. S&W 5 groove rifling is too picky for me to try and slug and measure.

44man
12-14-2014, 10:58 AM
No harm shooting boolits smaller then throats, I do it all the time. The key is your boolit must be groove to a little over. Throats must be larger then groove. My best boolits are .431" and my groove is .430" with .4324" throats. .432" shoots as good.
It is just not life threatening to have a boolit under throats but a boolit over throat size makes no sense.